💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

'I Wanna Be With You' was changed into 'Dope' for a reason

HausOfMark

Featured Posts

HausOfNicole

Yet they agreed to make Applause (the least universally relatable on the album) the first single? Interscope needs to locate some chill.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SEANGT

Am I the only one who thinks everything she says makes sense together and that she *knows* Dope was less relatable than IWBWU? She was saying she rebelled against the label by making IWBWU *less* relatable. They wanted a ballad. So she gave them a real, raw ballad that was her truest deep feelings at the time without worrying about how marketable it was. 

Rollercoaster

Maybe it was sarcasm. They wanted a relatable song so she gave them one about dope.

She said in the past she made the change because the label liked "the ballad" simply because ballads are hot right now, they wanted it as a single and she didnt so she changed it like "release the ballad now if you dare".

I hope this will make actual sense :flop:

Even though the lyrics of Dope are more relatable to me and I'd dare to say less cheesy, the lyrics of I Wanna Be With You have better musicality and they flow best to the Ear, probably because they were the fruit of the original inspiration.

silly example: The "keep on singing for a living" part had a better hook to it than "keep on searching for an answer".

As a :flop: songwriter :flop: myself  I can "hear" the song screaming "I changed my lyrics the last minute for reason x, and even though they are more soulful, they were crafted suddenly and non-organically". I have done it myself, and it's a whole other monster than trying to tweak your lyrics and/or enhance them.

You have to literally keep the organically created music (=created semi or full paralell with/on the lyrics) and change the whole content.You have to tweak the new content too, and in a very artificial way because you have to make it flow with the already created music.

Concluding: She should have written the dope lyrics without the music, and tweak the musical part too, or create a new ballad. Of course, it was impossible in this scenario, because she had no time and because Intrerflope is not keeping it real and classy lately.

Perform Living

ThatSLAYGUY

I Wanna Be With You is about being a singer and loving your fans

Dope is about wanting someone more than your biggest Addiction

IWBWU was a nice dedication at Swinefest but Dope is a more relatable song overall 

Dangerous Man

Okay :shrug:

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

I think you've misunderstood. 

She said that she changed it because her label really liked the ballad, when Adele was all over the radio so she was like "oh, ill give you a ****ing ballad"

So she changed it as a "**** you, i won't be told what to do" because she knew they would never release a ballad "that honest and real"

monster.sam

Im pretty sure its the other way around. Interscope wanted a ballad and IWBWU was relatable but gaga went against the record and released dope which is what she wanted

Darcklighter22

I love them both, and I think Dope fits better on ARTPOP. But how is Dope more relatable?

squeala

Do we have a direct quote though? Gaga wouldn't just let Interscope treat her work like that, she obviously had other reasons to change it. Dope is a million times more lyrically sophisticated than IWBWU; it's a much better song

Archived