Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Should Gaga begin to follow radio trends?

Emvee

Featured Posts

lxdygxga

It's better to do what's right than what's easy. I'd rather have her express herself artistically and keep on her path instead of selling out to make purposefully basic/appealing Top 40 music. She's an innovator, and sooner or later, the hits will come again as she pushes the envelope further and further.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morphine Prince

And this is kinda what I meant too. ARTPOP obviously didn't care about what was next. It only cared about what it wanted to be.

Should she get her mf binoculars out now and look ahead? What's the next big thing? What will be big in 2015? It needs to be just right.

Honestly I think Gaga thought EDM would blow up and become mainstream. It KIND OF has but then people like Lorde and songs like Blurred Lines became hits. In 2012 it seemed like EDM was gonna become really big. Clarity by Zedd, for example was big in 2013. She worked with Zedd, who she probably predicted would become big.

Emvee

Knowing that it's the next big thing and capitalizing on it before anybody else is basically the same as pioneering it.

Yeah, but my point is that she didn't just start it over night. An entire movement was already brewing. DJs were coming of age. Young artists who admired 80s synths were just about to burst into the scene. Gaga was one of them.

aaronyoji

for the past decade the mainstream has not been an indicator of taste, no no let me rephrase: good taste. gaga's music in the beginning is amateur compared to what she could really write and that's why it was palpable to a pop audience. it was dumbed down. THERE i ****in said it. i dont care whats hot, i dont care if writing mindless terrible songs is the trend. no straight guys really listened to gaga, get the **** over it. i dont know what straight friends some of you hung out with but the hetero-centric male category was not riddled with the fame on their ipods, so no she didn't alienate straight males from listening to her music anymore than she did when she first started, sorry to burst your bubble. honestly im sick of threads like this popping up. its pathetic. get over your "yielding to popular opinion" mindset and stop projecting onto gaga's work. you wanna know why ARTPOP maybe isnt as hot **** as we want it to be? cuz gaga listened to her stupid stans that only care about her """"slaying"""" and so she decided to pander, but guess what it backfired. 

Morphine Prince

for the past decade the mainstream has not been an indicator of taste, no no let me rephrase: good taste. gaga's music in the beginning is amateur compared to what she could really write and that's why it was palpable to a pop audience. it was dumbed down. THERE i ****in said it. i dont care whats hot, i dont care if writing mindless terrible songs is the trend. no straight guys really listened to gaga, get the **** over it. i dont know what straight friends some of you hung out with but the hetero-centric male category was not riddled with the fame on their ipods, so no she didn't alienate straight males from listening to her music anymore than she did when she first started, sorry to burst your bubble. honestly im sick of threads like this popping up. its pathetic. get over your "yielding to popular opinion" mindset and stop projecting onto gaga's work. you wanna know why ARTPOP maybe isnt as hot **** as we want it to be? cuz gaga listened to her stupid stans that only care about her """"slaying"""" and so she decided to pander, but guess what it backfired.

I agree with your first statement about how The Fame was dumbed down. I disagree on how straight guys didn't listen to Gaga. I'm straight and I know a lot of other straight guys who listened to Gaga back in 2009-2010. Those same guys don't listen to her now but instead have moved on Katy Perry. Trust me. Everyone listens to Pop music. EVERYONE. Many like to deny they like Pop because it's "gay" or "too mainstream" Go trough people's iPods and you will find Pop hits on there. It's everyone's guilty pleasure.

Emvee

This thread is open to interpretation. I didn't give an opinion in the OP. This discussion is out because there seems to be very different schools of thought in the fan base. Those who think she should be more commercial and those who think she should sing to her own tune.

Obviously, everyone wants Gaga to be herself, but are y'all ready for the consequences of that? Her commercial career can't handle another "ARTPOP" or "BTW."

Is this the type of artist you're ready to support? Fine. If not, shut the **** up and leave. Plain and simple.

P.s. This thread was inspired by the constant comparisons to Katy Perry. In my opinion Gaga and Katy are no longer comparable, but people still drag on about how "Katy's videos seem higher quality." No **** they look like that. They're manufactured to be perfect.

aaronyoji

I agree with your first statement about how The Fame was dumbed down. I disagree on how straight guys didn't listen to Gaga. I'm straight and I know a lot of other straight guys who listened to Gaga back in 2009-2010. Those same guys don't listen to her now but instead have moved on Katy Perry. Trust me. Everyone listens to Pop music. EVERYONE. Many like to deny they like Pop because it's "gay" or "too mainstream" Go trough people's iPods and you will find Pop hits on there. It's everyone's guilty pleasure.

fair enough, im sure a lot of straight guys had gaga as their guilty pleasure, but its like....who cares if she alienates them by making music that whoops! made a pro lgbt/everyone/anyone type album?? they can literally listen to anyone else in pop music and be fully represented as a straight demographic because go figure, a lot of music already caters to them.

like if they dont like it who cares, thats hetero-normativity for ya. like she shouldnt cater to them, people should like her on her own terms, not because of who she tried to please. that doesnt make born this way less than, being off putting to the close minded doesnt make her work less than. i get that maybe her persona in pop culture was getting slightly nauseating, but imo, born this way is her best put together piece of work and everything that encompassed it, and im not gonna let people that i dont share the same tastes with tarnish that. and neither should this fanbase. 

Miranda Sings

Jesus Christ can't she just make the music she wants to make. She's an artist. She doesn't have to answer to the radio, the "GP", or any of you. If radio plays it, awesome. If they don't, whatever. It's fine to not enjoy the music, but if you want her to change her style to conform to what other people want you aren't respecting her or her artistry. People like you are the ones on her team who caused her all the emotional troubles she's had recently. Let her be happy.

Wet Fire

No please. She holds a unique place in my heart for being unique herself. This is why I love her and ARTPOP. She is doing what she wants. I think it's a damn good thing that she isn't getting appropriate appreciation but still she's standing by her beliefs in music and art.

aaronyoji

This thread is open to interpretation. I didn't give an opinion in the OP. This discussion is out because there seems to be very different schools of thought in the fan base. Those who think she should be more commercial and those who think she should sing to her own tune.

Obviously, everyone wants Gaga to be herself, but are y'all ready for the consequences of that? Her commercial career can't handle another "ARTPOP" or "BTW."

Is this the type of artist you're ready to support? Fine. If not, shut the **** up and leave. Plain and simple.

she could write a magnum opus right now and may possibly never get the recognition/appreciation for it, maybe not even until she dies, and im fine with that, because i know that what i look for in music is being represented, a lot of the artists i love only get one or two big moments in pop culture, its a gamble that im fine with just as long as the work is great. its the gamble we all take when liking an artist like gaga. 

remember, she didnt start out making pop music, shes an artist first and foremost, and she can make practically any genre she wants.  

Morphine Prince

fair enough, im sure a lot of straight guys had gaga as their guilty pleasure, but its like....who cares if she alienates them by making music that whoops! made a pro lgbt/everyone/anyone type album?? they can literally listen to anyone else in pop music and be fully represented as a straight demographic because go figure, a lot of music already caters to them.

like if they dont like it who cares, thats hetero-normativity for ya. like she shouldnt cater to them, people should like her on her own terms, not because of who she tried to please. that doesnt make born this way less than, being off putting to the close minded doesnt make her work less than. i get that maybe her persona in pop culture was getting slightly nauseating, but imo, born this way is her best put together piece of work and everything that encompassed it, and im not gonna let people that i dont share the same tastes with tarnish that. and neither should this fanbase.

I agree. I like Gaga because she doesn't cater just to what's popular. It makes her special in this industry full of puppets.

Bebe

She makes her money of her tours. The success of her singles and albums don't matter too much anymore.

Beyonce obviously had a successful album with "Beyonce" but that was a lot to do with the surprise itunes release. Her singles have not done extremely well but it has given her a platform to tour on. 

MDNA by madonna flopped but it helped launch her mega successful MDNA tour.

Gaga just needs to keep maintaining her image as an incredible live performer. As long as she can do that she will have enough money to fund all of her future projects.

Imagine if Gaga would've followed the acoustic folk trend that happened with Mumford, Lumineers, 1D, and others  :flop:

I personally prefer Gaga to do Gaga, she'll continue to make hits and get it done her way.

Archived