Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Would ARTPOP have been received better if it came after Joanne?

boobtank

Featured Posts

boobtank

So as we know, after the Born This Way era, it seemed as though the Gaga was becoming a little over-exposed to the GP and the way her antics were received were slightly more negative (although they were always polarising). After the Born This Way era, Gaga's ushered in the ARTPOP era, which was of course hard for the GP to swallow after the era that came before it (Pregnant performances, Gaga as a mermaid, Jo Calderone, Egg arrival at Grammys, Judas controversy). Although I LOVED everything that had come this era, this clearly became tiresome for the GP and the ARTPOP era clearly was the breaking point for the GP and many critics. Therefore some have referred to Joanne as the correction of ARTPOP, with many people feeling as though Joanne was an inevitable for Gaga after the harsh backlash of ARTPOP and the over-exposed dramatics.

So my question is: If Joanne was released after Born This Way, then ARTPOP after Joanne, would it have been received more positively? Maybe Gaga's toned down image, lack of over-the-top antics and raw music style of Joanne being explored after Born This Way would have been shocking as it would not have felt like a direct response to the criticisms of the era before it?

Would the drama, antics and the colourfulness that was the ARTPOP era have been appreciated more if it came after the Joanne era? The GP and critics may have missed this sort of Gaga-ness after having a break directly after the Born This Way era and heralded the actions that they've come to bash after the release of this album.

This is kinda poorly written but I cba to go over it... what do you guys think?

Born+This+Way+7.jpglady-gaga-joanne.jpg.c83925511999fcc49fdCool-Lady-Gaga-Artpop-Background.jpg

No.. it would look like she's doing a step backward..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

venusfly

No, ARTPOP was and would still be way too frazzled and way too over the top in its image and sound. Despite it being probably my favorite album of hers 

iAstroLeo

Probably, but at that time Joanne would have gotten the hate. ARTPOP was hated on even before it's release, it had nothing to do with the album. Hating Gaga was "cool" at the time. 

Haroon

You bring up a very interesting scenario :udidnt: 

I do actually think something more stripped back and along the lines of Joanne would've been a lot more appreciated after Born This Way (than ARTPOP) because of the sheer contrast between them. It'd keep people on their toes and then surprised again when something dancey and electronic like ARTPOP comes out after :O Then again, it could also be quite jarring and alienating as well because I feel like Born This Way is even more different to Joanne than ARTPOP, so that could work against her as well :huh: 

1 minute ago, iAstroLeo said:

Probably, but at that time Joanne would have gotten the hate. ARTPOP was hated on even before it's release, it had nothing to do with the album. Hating Gaga was "cool" at the time. 

but now...

xF0jBtv.jpg

Lona Delery

ARTPOP shouldve haplened before Born This Way, with Joanne after

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

YeehawKylie

No. It would be viewed as a step back. ARTPOP would have only been better received after The Fame Monster. Born this Way is the era when Gaga lost the GP and was overexposed.

Boyboi12

I wish you guys would leave ARTPOP in 2013. Yeah the album didn't sell well but the tour itself was amazing, I went to five different shows and each one was out of this world.

Rockets

It would take:

1) better management

2) a different attitude from her (aka no pretentious interviews, reverse warholian expedition blahblah, etc.)

3) a different, shorter tracklist (lose donatella, MJH, and swine, cut R Kelly from DWUW)

4) DWUW as a lead single maybe

5) the app (one of the most interesting and anrticipated things of the era) actually working and with actual interesting material

and maybe, it could have slayed, regardless of when she released it. :)

But anyway, I do agree with those who say we should let good sis ARTPOP go, and move on :unicorn:

The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes

Dominic

Possibly. Although I don't think the music was that amazing so it wouldn't have mattered when it was released. I personally love it but realistically it was never a fully realised album. When I look back it seems like such a rushed album. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

boobtank
7 minutes ago, Boyboi12 said:

I wish you guys would leave ARTPOP in 2013. Yeah the album didn't sell well but the tour itself was amazing, I went to five different shows and each one was out of this world.

We can still discuss Gaga's career trajectory, it is a Gaga forum. I loved aspects of the ARTPOP era, I'm just exploring if the negative reception was because it came right off the back of the Born This Way era. Joanne would have given the GP some time to breathe, that's all. :hor:

Archived