💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why does Gaga say she wasn't wealthy?

rivingtonreject

Featured Posts

is a $1,780,000 apartment for upper middle class people? :awkney:

I explained myself earlier :emma:. New York was way cheaper in the 80s, if this isn't a rental.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interlude

I think that her parents put everything they had into Gaga and Natali. I know that's all expensive but they worked hard for it. They even had to take out a lone to get the baby grand piano.

#BlackLivesMatter #TransLivesMatter - You let down members of the community and forced us out.

rivingtonreject

She never said her family wasn't rich: she said that her parents have worked their asses off and put all the money they had in her education and her sister's.

What she usually says is that her family doesn't come from a wealthy background, and that the money her parents have earned was earned by the sweat of their brows.

she has said in interviews, and I paraphrase for now, but it was the "inside the outside" mtv interview, "there's a misconception that I grew up wealthy & I came from a middle class family". She's said so in other interviews too. I was just wondering, not trying to say anything mean.

and what you said makes sense. That the money was earned with work, not inherited or something easy

Rainbowgynous

Upper middle class doesn't mean wealthy.

True, especially for the kids! Because upper middle class parents are often quite frugal and actually LESS likely to indulge their kids with things that mean "rich" to children. Lower class parents will often buy the latest Disney stuff, brand candy, shiny bikes etc. because they don't want their children to 'feel poor', they know how it feels and they don't want that for them...

Whereas upper middle class folks are upper middle class for a reason: often through hard work, watching their money carefully and being picky about what they spend money on. They'll often splurge on education (schooling and extracurricular) but not on 'pointless' things like pokemon cards or those new nike airmax.

The thing is of course that for kids education and a decent sized house in a good neighbourhood don't feel like wealth, while a 17 oz bag of tootsie rolls does.

She wasn't rich, her parents were.

rivingtonreject

I cannot be the only one who's heard her explicitly say middle class!? I'm searching for an interview.. give me a sec

and for those genuinely upset, it was just a question out of curiosity, not in an accusatory manner. 

Yes, her dad owned an internet company.

he owned the company "GuestWiFi" for a while, sold wifi to hotel chains. YES GUEST WIFI IS BC OF PAPA JOE

That BLEW my mind at first lol

Vernier

I always got the impression when she talked out her upbringing was usually that her parents worked hard to get to where they are and so did she and didn't just rely on daddies money to get herself into music. Like she had to work from the ground up herself

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Upper middle class doesn't mean wealthy.

Upper middle class would not be able to afford the things mentioned in the OP.

Brooklyn Nights

That was like 30 years ago though.... The prices have changed a lot. And gaga said that her parents put most of there money into education for their kids.

Her parents had a lot of money and she grew up in a wealthy family. But she dropped from college, declined her parents money and went to live by herself (the marry the night thing). So she wasn't rich, her family was, but she choose not to be a part of that and  make her own name.

Rainbowgynous

Would if they both worked their assess off in two jobs and got a good deal on the Pythian thing (Gaga once mentioned her dad got a 'really good deal on the house', my theory is that Joe may have traded the ownership/indefinite use of the apartment for his company or something like that.)

She already told us that her parents spent most of their money on hers and natali's education.

Also (again) New York was cheaper in the 80s.

Brandon

Yeah her parents were rich. She just said they weren't (or in any other way) so more people could relate to her and she could inspire.

TimisaMonster

Not rich =/= Poor

Middle class like a lot of hard working people these days

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

rivingtonreject

She already told us that her parents spent most of their money on hers and natali's education.

Also (again) New York was cheaper in the 80s.

NY was chaper, but so was the value of the dollar. So everything in relation to eachother is about the same. And even if the price today is somewhat inflated, if they can charge nearly 2mil for it now, the least they were charging is 1mil back then. still not even close to cheap...

Archived