💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why do a lot of people seem to hate Dope?

IAmTheX

Featured Posts

Bowman

I love Dope but I just don't relate to it.

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
angelduuh

The only thing I don't like about Dope is that doesn't fits ARTPOP.

But if I'm talking only about Dope, it's different. It's the most personal song of her for me, and I can really hear her pain, it's a beautiful song and one of the betters songs of her, it's so deep and amazing. I really love Dope. If it had a bridge, it would be perfect.

Laceface

I cannot relate to it at all for I have never done d--gs.

This and it seems to have worn on me quickest out of all the songs on the album. I much prefer IWBWU!

Allison M

I wish that every criticism came with arguments in posts like the one you've just written :applause:

What I'm against is the unfair and pointless Gaga-bashing we're going through atm. I have absolutely nothing against people having opinions, just against people bashing Gaga just because they're frustrated now, but will throw themselves at her feet as soon as she's gonna announce something. These people have no word.

this is all I was trying to say in a different thread but i could not find the right words or correct way to say it. It completely backfired on me too. I'm glad other people have similar opinions and can voice them better than I can.

I'm just really sad from that other thread. :( It went completely wrong for me when I was just trying to make things more positive.

I'll never try that again. 

SKANK

Speaking personally, me hating Dope has nothing to do with which album it's on, and it's ridiculous that you'd try and assert that. My problem with it is that I feel like it's so try-hard. She wanted it to seem natural and raw, and that desire made it unnatural and fake, in my opinion. She's never sung in that fashion before this song. The slurred words, the cracking voice, the off-pitch notes... we've heard her sing enough ballads to know that this is not what she naturally sounds like. The fact that it's being presented as this raw confessional when she's using this unnatural singing style in an attempt to evoke emotion... I just don't get it.

You might not like  Dope, but I'm calling bull**** on your reasoning. One of Gaga's strengths is her vocal affectations.

She sounds like David Bowie on Applause, she squeals like a pig and has a strange vocal affectation on Swine, she puts on a valley girl accent in Donatella, her M.I.A. style vocals on Jewels N' Drugs, soulful growls on Do What U Want, the vocals on Sex Dreams sound inspired by torch singers, the vocals on Gypsy are very Bruce Springsteen, aggressive rock vocals on MANiCURE, the weird accent she does on Aura...all of them are "fake".

On most of The Fame her vocals are watered down and manipulated to sound like a pop star, she straight up sounds like Gwen Stafani on Summerboy. She puts on a German accent for Scheiße and a Mexican one for Americano. Her vocals on The Lady Is A Trampy are clearly an affectation to sound like a classic jazz singer.

So even if the vocals on Dope are not natural and are character driven for the sake of the song, that doesn't make them bad. You just happen to not like them. 

Shadow

I wanna be with you was better, IMO. Hate is a strong word. I just don't listen to it. I appreciate her sentiments, tho.

Dancing in the Shadow... 🖤

Willy Wonka

You might not like  Dope, but I'm calling bull**** on your reasoning. One of Gaga's strengths is her vocal affectations.

She sounds like David Bowie on Applause, she squeals like a pig and has a strange vocal affectation on Swine, she puts on a valley girl accent in Donatella, her M.I.A. style vocals on Jewels N' Drugs, soulful growls on Do What U Want, the vocals on Sex Dreams sound inspired by torch singers, the vocals on Gypsy are very Bruce Springsteen, aggressive rock vocals on MANiCURE, the weird accent she does on Aura...

On most of The Fame her vocals are watered down and manipulated to sound like a pop star, she straight up sounds like Gwen Stafani on Summerboy. She puts on a German accent for Scheiße and a Mexican one for Americano. Her vocals on The Lady Is A Trampy are clearly an affectation to sound like a classic jazz singer.

So even if the vocals on Dope are not natural and are character driven for the sake of the song, that doesn't make them bad. You just happen to not like them. 

Babe, you just proved my point. That's why I don't like them. It's being presented as a raw confessional and it's just another character. I find it inauthentic. 

Further more, on a side note, your examples prove you don't understand my point. She's incredible at her ability to adapt to different styles. She can change her dialect and tone with ease. Her versatility and her ability to assimilate to the genre is admirable.

But none of these songs are presented as raw or confessional or authentic.

Finally, I never said the vocals were necessarily "bad". In every live performance, Amy Winehouse slurred her way through every song, went off pitch, and her voice cracked multiple times- she's still one of my favorite singers.

I have an issue with the presentation vs. the execution of the song.

Does this make sense?

GagaDragon

Don't like the vocals, her previous ballad songs are much better as well and i dislike ballads for the most part. It also just doesn't fit on the album, it looks so out of place smh.

SKANK

Babe, you just proved my point. That's why I don't like them. It's being presented as a raw confessional and it's just another character. I find it inauthentic. 

Further more, on a side note, your examples prove you don't understand my point. She's incredible at her ability to adapt to different styles. She can change her dialect and tone with ease. Her versatility and her ability to assimilate to the genre is admirable.

But none of these songs are presented as raw or confessional or authentic.

Finally, I never said the vocals were necessarily "bad". In every live performance, Amy Winehouse slurred her way through every song, went off pitch, and her voice cracked multiple times- she's still one of my favorite singers.

I have an issue with the presentation vs. the execution of the song.

Does this make sense?

Nearly all of her vocals are inauthenticity great, that is why she is a wonderful vocalist. She doesn't have soul like Nina Simone or eccentricity like Cyndi Lauper so she fakes it by swapping out her otherwise emotionally flat voice with phony affections. Dope is only presented as raw and confessional if your not in on the joke, once you understand that she fakes her vocals constantly you understand that Dope is no different then Aura or Donatella - it's just another character. 

degenerate

Love it. And love the grainy vocals. I feel like it might be my most listened to on ARTPOP. I listen to the live performance from Alan Carr all the time.

However, I don't like how she tries too hard to be emotional/cry when she performs it, and "high for so long" seems to be a bit out of her range.

LaLuna

Even though I don't relate to the song, I love how heartfelt and powerful that song is.

geopang

Just because you have never done d--gs doesnt mean you cant like the song...

Ive never been involved in d--gs, yet it is my favorite ballad gaga has ever done, and in fact my favorite song on ARTPOP.

You can really feel the emotion in the song, and lyrically it is way better than IWBWY. Just because its a downer/sad song doesnt mean its bad. Like i said, its the best song on ARTPOP to me.

eamonster123

i dont know whyy either, that song so beautiful and i dont understand why so many people dont really like it

Archived