💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP: Yet Another Review

Prometheus

Featured Posts

Prometheus

Here is my review (not that we need another).

Aura

7/10

The song is reminiscent of a Born This Way track, but one that was left off Gaga's 3rd album in order to mature and grow. And it did. This stuttering, pulsating track is probably the most experimental on ARTPOP. However, the track's eccentric structure and thought-provoking lyrics are enough to keep one interested while the beat keeps you dancing. Oh, and Gaga's vocals during the pre-chorus are lush.

Venus

7/10

Gaga's first self-produced song is hopefully just the beginning. The mythologically rooted song fuses space, romance, and classical mythology in an odd, yet satisfying way. The multiple hooks may throw some people off, but Gaga's layered, harmonized vocals should call them back from the brink of confusion. The bridge lacks somewhat in depth, but it keeps the song flowing.

G.U.Y.

9/10

The introductory sounds like a snippet taken from an old cassette tape, preparing you for what sounds like how-to guide for s-x. However, the beat soon enters the scene, and the unforgiving synths begin their dance. The pre-chorus is essentially orgasmic, and the chorus is even better. Gaga sings about wanting to be in control, both s-xually and romantically. G.U.Y. could be thought of as the classier, more feministic version of the Rihanna hit S&M. This track is one of the best on the album, and should certainly be a single.

Sexxx Dreams

7/10

This song is a little more clear about its message: s-x. Gaga unapologetically croons as the minimalistic backing track flows behind her. Upon deeper inspection, one can clearly tell that there are two dialogues. The more prominent one is very s-xual and playful, while the other is darker and more jaded. Overall, the production is a little less awe-inspiring than the Swinefest version, but it's still s-xy as hell.

Jewels n' Drugs

5/10

One featured artist is a conversation. Two featured artists is a party. Three? It seems a tad excessive, like a bad neighbor who invites himself to every get together. This track is the first d--g-focused song on ARTPOP, but it doesn't leave much to the imagination. Think of it as Beautiful, Dirty, Rich's younger sister who dabbled with ecstasy in rundown strip clubs. It seems like Gaga just added it to prove that she can do more than just pop, but it seems a tad unnecessarily.

MANiCURE

8/10

Gaga fuses pop with rock in this delicious track. The claps are infections and her vocals are powerful. The lyrics are very intelligent by relating nail jobs with a cure for love. Like Sexxx Dreams, the track isn't as potent as its Swinefest predecessor, but it's certainly single material.

Do What U Want

7/10

Featuring R. Kelly's smooth and rich vocals, Do What U Want is a wonderful R&B-esque track. While the messages differ between Gaga's verses and R. Kelly's, the track can slide by without being questioned. This track certainly features some of Gaga's best vocals to date. However, whether or not this was a good single choice remains to be seen. The bridge though... :legend:

ARTPOP

7/10

A transition begins to clearly form as we reach the mid-point of the album. We also see a sad pattern emerge: the album cuts of the Swinefest songs are not as wonderful. The titular track seems to have lost some of its magic by the quieting of Gaga's hypnotic "he-he's!" This track could have easily been a 9/10 if the "he-he's" were brought more to the fore-front of the track. They just seemed to set the track apart. Overall, ARTPOP is still a dazzling and beautiful song.

Swine

6/10

And the pattern continues. Swine fails to live up to its Swinefest predecessor. It just seems less raw, less feral, and certainly less filthy. The track could use a boost in bass, and the chorus needs some extra synths. It sounds too simplistic and...tame. I certainly hope the song regains its prior crazed production and vocals when performed live.

Donatella

8/10

Drinks pouring into glasses open the fashion-oriented track. These synths are what I'm talking about! Swine, take note! Although Gaga's lyrics seem to be regressive in terms of message (very un-Born This Way to some), one can assume that the song is satyrical in nature. The track honestly scores more points for its vocal delivery and its production than its lyrical content. Regardless, the fashion icon herself should be proud.

Fashion!

9/10

Although the will.i.am track has received a lot of hate, I personally love the track. It reminds me of the early days of Gaga. It takes me back to the days of Retro Dance Freak and Disco Heaven. Call me nostalgic, but this song is almost perfect. Although it isn't really single-worthy, it is definitely a highlight of the album. It may not be very ARTPOP, but sometimes its nice to visit the past. Snaps to Gaga and the production team for this track.

Mary Jane Holland

9/10

This weed-inspired track is the first Madeon-produced song on ARTPOP. Although it is a Mary Jane influenced song, it isn't lowbrow. The song is clever in terms of lyricism and message. It conveys not only the highs of d--g-use, but also the dependence. The entire track sounds optimistic, s-xy, and dirty. Definitely one of the best songs on ARTPOP. The production is stellar, and the lyrics are solid. It sounds like Bloody Mary and Heavy Metal Lover had a child while taking steroids. Fingers crossed for more Madeon/Gaga tracks in the future.

Dope

7/10

Gaga takes off her Mary Jane Holland persona and confesses her shortcomings in this raw ballad. Dope will take a few listens to initially impact you (well, it was that way with me at least). Perhaps the revamped I Wanna Be With You track just wasn't what I expected lyrically at first. However, the addiction-heavy song conveys emotion with beautiful lyrics such as "12 lonely steps up Heaven's stairway of gold" and Gaga's growing, desperate, and sometimes slurred vocals. It's certainly a take it or leave it track.

Gypsy

10/10

GAGA, MAKE THIS THE THIRD SINGLE! Gypsy is certainly a force to be reckoned with, and can certainly surpass Bad Romance as the greatest commercial Gaga song of all time. It is very reminiscent of The Edge of Glory, but the track is very much it's only entity. I would call Gypsy the perfect fusion of The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way, and ARTPOP. This track is another reason why Madeon and Gaga should collaborate more often. When Gaga stutters "I'm a gypsy" in the post-chorus it is pure ecstasy. This track conveys so much happiness and adrenaline. Certainly one of Gaga's best songs to date. AND THE SCHEIĂƒÆ’Ă…ÂžE REFERENCE!!!

Applause

8/10

And we end with the beginning. Applause ends the ARTPOP journey and brings it full circle. A nearly flawless track.

------------------------------

Thanks for reading! Sorry if it wasn't very good.

NOTE: I didn't compare the songs to each other. Some of the songs (like ARTPOP) were affected somewhat by what I heard previously at Swinefest. 

Redstreak

Me.

Then I know who to complain to now. Sis, you missed the 7 or 8 button when you were doing JND.

iIpH83ZfgXWRZ.gif

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Prometheus

tumblr_mep74bRopq1qiox8vo1_r1_500.gif

Then I know who to complain to now. Sis, you missed the 7 or 8 button when you were doing JND.

iIpH83ZfgXWRZ.gif

1036.gif

ToxicHot

Love it!!!

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

Prometheus

Did you write this? It's great!! Love it!

Thanks!

:hug:

Love it!!!

flawless ARTPOP 7 but Fashion! 9 what even

guess we all have different tastes :ohwell:

It was hard comparing all of the songs. I decided to not compare them to each other. The live version of ARTPOP would have definitely been a 9/10, but the muted "he-he's" ruined it, and especially the lack of "he-he's" in the final chorus.

Saying "he-he" so much makes me feel ridiculous :laughga:

It was hard comparing all of the songs. I decided to not compare them to each other. The live version of ARTPOP would have definitely been a 9/10, but the muted "he-he's" ruined it, and especially the lack of "he-he's" in the final chorus.

Saying "he-he" so much makes me feel ridiculous :laughga:

the hee-hee's were the best thing

although I still love the song but yeah you're right, I must admit I miss them

Prometheus

the hee-hee's were the best thing

although I still love the song but yeah you're right, I must admit I miss them

She better make them loud at the ARTPOP Ball :crossed:

TimisaMonster

Fashion!

9/10

Although the will.i.am track has received a lot of hate, I personally love the track. It reminds me of the early days of Gaga. It takes me back to the days of Retro Dance Freak and Disco Heaven. Call me nostalgic, but this song is almost perfect. Although it isn't really single-worthy, it is definitely a highlight of the album. It may not be very ARTPOP, but sometimes its nice to visit the past. Snaps to Gaga and the production team for this track.

That whole thing just made me cringe with :awkney:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived