Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Popjustice reviews Venus

JEANBO

Featured Posts

I think a lot of you merely like the song because it's the Queen's. She wrote it, produced it, so therefor we're obligated to praise it. Not to mention that this #spreadlove trend (which I think is great aside from this fact) is preventing people from trying to apply constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the song. I think it's a fun song to blast and sing to in the car. But it is messy, the lyrics are rather corny, it's all over the place. I'm so releived 'Do What U Want' got changed last second. 'Venus' would kill the GP's hype for 'ARTPOP'. It's a poor track.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MarkoLilMonster

I don't agree with them. Venus is one of my favorite Gaga's songs :ohwell:

This. Sad that fans base their opinions on charts which is a bit embarrasing.

This :roll:

I can certainly see where they're coming from. This isn't everybody's cup of tea. But I love it anyway. I think it's great that we're getting songs that are as kooky as Gaga herself is. But I hope the next album is VERY very different...I've been surprised at how many of the songs remind of BTW, and I thought we were supposed to be getting something completely different. A lot of you probably disagree with me, but hear me out...BTW was definitely more rock influenced, and this album is more glam influenced, but both are VERY very 80s. They're good songs, and I'm going to listen to them like crazy, as I have been, but I think the songs from both BTW and ARTPOP sound too dated for radio. 

I don't mean to beat a dead horse with bringing up The Fame again -- especially because I DO NOT miss The Fame era and it isn't my favorite -- but there was just SOMETHING about that music that was so fresh and new. I'm not a music expert by any means, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can educate me on this, but the songs from TF really didn't seem to be overly influenced by any type of music...they were just NEW. Whereas the songs from BTW and ARTPOP both seem to be more focused on paying homage to the past rather than paving the way for the future. But if anyone more knowledgeable about music can point me to the major influences on TF, I'd appreciate it!

I actually agree with this part :shocked:  There is just something about The Fame that makes it sound timeless. I don't know what it is, but it is :laughga:

freebit

The mention of remixes keeps being brought up amongst fandom, and that makes me wonder what an amazing remix might do for this song. Look at Lana and that horrible remix of Summertime Sadness, now imagine what a GOOD remix of Venus could do. hmm...

I don't like the fact that people are claiming it's different because it's artisitic or vice versa. It's easy to label something as art if it's hard to comprehend or explain. Sometimes it doesn't appeal to people not because it's something they don't understand but that the quality of it isn't up to par. People just need to accept that it's pretty poor compared to pretty much all of her other songs she has released. It's blatant.

I don't like the fact that people are claiming it's different because it's artisitic or vice versa. It's easy to label something as art if it's hard to comprehend or explain. Sometimes it doesn't appeal to people not because it's something they don't understand but that the quality of it isn't up to par. People just need to accept that it's pretty poor compared to pretty much all of her other songs she has released. It's blatant.

People don't have to accept anything :shrug:  . Yet again, it's all down to opinion. 

Rollercoaster

listen without expectation. It will grow on you. Expectation kills reality like a vampire sparkling in the sun that should kill it.

Ladle Ghoulash

She's not experimental enough

she doesn't produce her own music

she can't pull off anything as nuts as bad romance

she can't win.

this, honestly.

I still don't really know what everyone has against the production. Coming from someone who is a HUGE appreciator of good production value, I don't find anything about the production of this to be bad by any means. I think it's actually quite good.

People don't have to accept anything :coffee: . Yet again, it's all down to opinion. 

No that's true you have a point for sure.

:yes:

PopJustice would've given Bad Romance part 2 11/10 so, let's not pay too much attention to what they deem good or bad for her career

HuntyBooBoo

I gotta agree with them. To me, it sounds like 5 different songs pushed into one. It has some amazing moments, like.."when you touch me I die just a little inside" etc etc...but overall, in comparison to her other songs, and well...most other songs...it sounds like an unfinished product. It doesn't "flow" like a single should, the structure is terrible...this song while her first production effort, definitely should have been handed over to someone else for final touches, before release.

TLDR: the production (or lack there of) makes it sound like a mash-up of several songs, and there is no cohesiveness to it....and...this...is...just...my...personal...opinion.

I think Venus is amazing.  One of her best.  Certainly for me the best officially released song off ARTPOP.  I would have given it closer to an 8.75 or 9.  

We're all Stronger Together!

DanceInTheFlames

All I know is that when I listen with my earphones the chorus sounds like ****ing candy that fills me with ecstasy and makes me want to spin around the room like a hippie high on Molly.

What?

iAstroLeo

but seriously...4/10?  FOUR/TEN???? Venus is obviously a strong track.  It AT LEAST should have gotten 6/10.

TBH, and even 6 is  too low for Slaynus

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived