💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Relevance of itunes in Europe

craig

Featured Posts

You have to do some research about the relative popularity of itunes singles, streaming (Spotify), illegal downloads, and album sales before you can judge how Gaga is doing in a country.

US - Gaga was steady last week at #5 on itunes, but only #11 in streaming (last Billboard update) and she just made #20 on radio overall.

Germany - Gaga has been #4 on radio for 2 weeks, but has fallen to  #17 on itunes. This may not be a big deal if Spotify makes up a bigger share of German music consumption and she's doing fine there.

UK - Gaga has been in top 10 on radio for awhile, and is #6 on Spotify, but is only #10 on sales and will fall several more places next week. (Applause made 5 weeks in Top 10 compared to BTW's 7).

Applause is only selling 1/6 as much as in the US. However as Magoo points out, the historical trend is for Gaga singles to sell 6 times more in US than UK, but for her albums to sell just 2.5 more Stateside. In other words, Gaga's UK fans tend more to be album buyers.

Then there are small markets in Europe where itunes use isn't mainstream at all, and it's easy for lots of artists with a fanbase to go #1 upon release, but hard to stay there. The radio may love Gaga, people may stream Applause, but the GP largely doesn't do itunes. 

So basically her #1 iTunes peaks in a majority of Europe was good enough despite a quick fall as long as Applause stays relevant in streaming + airplay

but for her albums to sell just 2.5 more Stateside. In other words, Gaga's UK fans tend more to be album buyers.

Or her US fans tend less to be album buyers :laughga: These facts are really eye opening though, especially the stuff about Germany :omg: I had the narrow view that iTunes was majorly used in most if not all markets, so thanks for this :yes:

Liam Germanotta

First of all: amazingly interesting topic!

Germany - Gaga has been #4 on radio for 2 weeks, but has fallen to  #17 on itunes. This may not be a big deal if Spotify makes up a bigger share of German music consumption and she's doing fine there.

iTunes in Germany has two interesting influences. As far as I know, iTunes in Germany is estimated to have between 6 to 8% market share (I wasn't able to find official numbers). Amazon and Media Market/Saturn seem to be way bigger markets... I just realized this now. On the other hand, German charts are made up of revenues (sales * price), and iTunes prices are usually 30 to 50 cent higher than Media Markt/Saturn.

Airplay does not count for official charts, but German radio sometimes doesn't care thaaat much about the single chart. They were pretty loyal during BTW, all singles except Judas reached the Top 3 radio chart (BTW, TEOG, Y&I, MTN).

First of all: amazingly interesting topic!

iTunes in Germany has two interesting influences. As far as I know, iTunes in Germany is estimated to have between 6 to 8% market share (I wasn't able to find official numbers). Amazon and Media Market/Saturn seem to be way bigger markets... I just realized this now. On the other hand, German charts are made up of revenues (sales * price), and iTunes prices are usually 30 to 50 cent higher than Media Markt/Saturn.

Airplay does not count for official charts, but German radio sometimes doesn't care thaaat much about the single chart. They were pretty loyal during BTW, all singles except Judas reached the Top 3 radio chart (BTW, TEOG, Y&I, MTN).

Oooh, so despite falling on iTunes, Applause, and the ARTPOP era, is being kept relevant in Germany by radio play, correct?

Liam Germanotta

Oooh, so despite falling on iTunes, Applause, and the ARTPOP era, is being kept relevant in Germany by radio play, correct?

Well, I hope so! It's good (for airplay) to see Applause for some weeks in Top 10 of sales.

On the other hand, I think we are pretty safe, since they also rotated Y&I and even MTN heavily although they only went to #21 and #17 on sales. Of course, she only was for a short time that high on airplay, but of course that is understandable if a song doesn't manage to grow on sales.

Let's see. We can be optimistic! :)

Australia is a special case. They just aren't into dance pop girls as much as other countries. Especially lately.

* Rihanna hasn't has a #1 their since Loud era, Diamonds peaked #6.

* Kylie's Aphrodite singles did poorly there relative to the UK. All the Lovers made #3 UK and France, #13 Oz.

* Madonna hasn't toured there in 20 years; Britney only toured there once and was savaged for lip-synching.

But they love Pink who does pop rock. Katy does fine there.

They also love dance rap. Only there did LMFAO outsell the BTW album.

Liam Germanotta

Australia is a special case. They just aren't into dance pop girls as much as other countries. Especially lately.

* Kylie's Aphrodite singles did poorly there relative to the UK. All the Lovers made #3 UK and France, #13 Oz.

* Madonna hasn't toured there in 20 years; Britney only toured there once and was savaged for lip-synching.

Is it because of the mix of cultures in Australia?

Interlude

Ireland's also notable in the past:

The Fame:

Weekly Charts: #1

Year-end Charts: #3

Certifications: 9× Platinum

The Fame Monster:

Year-end Charts: #3

Born This Way:

Year-end Charts: 17  :sweat:

Certifications: x2 Platinum

Okay maybe not, I'm not that great when it comes to understanding the charts but I've also looked at how the singles done in Ireland and they've all done great as well. Except Applause it only peaked at #9

#BlackLivesMatter #TransLivesMatter - You let down members of the community and forced us out.

MelbHawker

tumblr_msq1mlXwt31rrcahvo1_r1_250.gif

Or her US fans tend less to be album buyers :laughga: These facts are really eye opening though, especially the stuff about Germany :omg: I had the narrow view that iTunes was majorly used in most if not all markets, so thanks for this :yes:

The US turned away from albums, especially younger fans, because before itunes, physical singles died out in US. Labels wanted to force people to buy the album if they wanted the hits, and fans started to perceive albums as full of filler and rip-offs. The UK always had singles, so there wasn't this negativity about album filler.

Then the RIAA actually was suing people for sharing songs last decade, and may have scared some into buying songs more than abroad (slightly more than the UK, way more than in most of Europe). Combine that with how cool and well-marketed Apple products are in US, and you have a itunes boom.

Not sure if a nation of pop fans that mainly buys singles for $1.29 is really better for the industry than one than tastes whole albums (whether on Spotify or illegally) and actually buys them at a higher rate. Perhaps itunes fuels the boom in one-wonder wonders, where one song sells 6 million, and then the artist virtually disappears.

• Mills locked this topic

Archived