💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

2013 MTV Video Music Awards (PERFORMANCE/RED CARPET VIDEO)

SMILE2NE1

Featured Posts

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MonsterOfSpain

• MJ Holland

• My Little Phoney

• blahblahblahhhh

badboymonsterx

Ok just letting you guys know -- the vocals for everyone SUCKED. wtf happened with the vma's this year? I could barely understand anyone at times!!

rivingtonrebels

This. I love GaGa to death but really referencing your past looks already this early on in your career? That's something you do in another 10 years. I thought the concept was lazy & uninspired. The actual set itself was cheap looking and not something a major world class popstar like GaGa should be using. She needs to bring her "A game" to this new era and so far I don't think she has at all. Very disappointed in last nights performance it was underwhelming & not something she should have done for a big show like the VMA's. It didn't translate well for a huge stage like that and maybe suited more for a TV show like Ellen. I hope last night is not indicative  what else is coming. It just put out there that maybe she's running out of ideas and I honestly think she needs a new creative team for her stage productions & choreography.

Gaga referenced her past works as early as TFM.  Remember ~ "I wanna JUST DANCE but he took me home instead" she was criticized for that lyric for being too meta too early and that was years ago.

But regardless you're thinking about the performance all wrong.  The point was to get the GP to love her again and remind them of how they fell in love with her in the first place.

And by the way, the set design was Robert Wilson and it wasn't lazy or uninspired.

Catalystluna56

I think Gaga and JT stole the show last night. JT didn't even have a great performance, it just went on for soooo long. You have to give him creds for that. Katy, Bruno, macklemore and the other rappers all had "meh" performances.

Jiulia Wilde

Everybody excuse me...I saw Gaga's performance just now...

who said underwhelming?

It was refined!

Just because the VMAs aren't refined doesn't mean we should confuse artistry with understatement!

sorry, just my opinion....

I chose well my idol, though.

Any thoughts on this?

This. I love GaGa to death but really referencing your past looks already this early on in your career? That's something you do in another 10 years. I thought the concept was lazy & uninspired. The actual set itself was cheap looking and not something a major world class popstar like GaGa should be using. She needs to bring her "A game" to this new era and so far I don't think she has at all. Very disappointed in last nights performance it was underwhelming & not something she should have done for a big show like the VMA's. It didn't translate well for a huge stage like that and maybe suited more for a TV show like Ellen. I hope last night is not indicative  what else is coming. It just put out there that maybe she's running out of ideas and I honestly think she needs a new creative team for her stage productions & choreography.

I feel the EXACT same way. But symbolically, the performance was all about applauding what she'd done before and saying goodbye to it before being rebirthed for the new era. Thus the Birth of Venus and blank canvas references. Applause is really about the end of the first part of her career, rather than starting the next part. I think it's an awful way to start a new era, by focusing so much on the past, but I think they're really trying something different with this era by not releasing the best song first, by performing songs at a festival long before the CD is released, releasing the album through an app, and if the leaker of Aura was Gaga, then that ploy as well. 

I really hope that I'm right and that the next part of the era, when the new songs are released, is going to be KILLER, completely new, and leave all of this in the dust. If not, it's going to be a rough era.

But even if my theory is correct, I really think she could've found a more interesting idea for the performance and for saying goodbye to what's come before. Maybe that was part of the point -- she didn't want to do anything too crazy, because she wanted to regain some of the public's trust before getting them all riled up later on. Only time will tell. We've been waiting years for new stuff, and it sucks that the new stuff really isn't all that great, but I guess we can keep on waiting since we've already waited all this time. Once the album comes out, I'll form my opinions about the era, but now is too soon.

liberacorpus

i have really loved and defended every single thing that she has done by far, and i still will. but guys we have to admit that there were things that needed retouching and revising in this performance. like that stage, the neon APPLAUSE, the vocals on choruses (stop saying she's dancing we have witnessed her singing a song like MTN flaw-free while dancing). using the Gazing Balls like that was not creative, at all. it could have been interesting in many ways but just holding in hands and throwing away... i know i'm really getting into details but the performance is eventually formed by these little details.

we can all see that gaga is really really happy and excited about getting back on stage, so we are! i had been waiting for this with great enthusiasm and i'm happy she's back on stage with a great song and a killer choreo, big time. however, i don't recon criticising as a bad thing. in fact, innovation and revision is a must for big stars and performers like gaga. i hope she'll come up with more creative and wowing ideas (and by that i don't mean shocking, a simple piano version can be wowing too) next time and execute them decently so that everyone will see what lady gaga is truly capable of.

Outofcontrol

General Public LOVES the performance.I keep seeing very positive comments everywhere. she was awesome.people here just expect another legendary performance like paparazzi but that ain't gonna happen.that performance is one of best ever so deal with it.

Edited by Outofcontrol

BadHeavyMetalQueen

That performance slayed me oh my god. My fave performance tbqmfh :legend:

DanceInTheFlames

By far the most powerful moment of Gagaññ‚¬ñ„±s performance was when the Boos started, Gaga stared at the camera with crazy eyes, and then the beat of the Applause chorus started playing.

She is the blank canvas, we created her and we have also torn her apart, but through it all she has always stayed true to herself and has created meaningful works of art to make others happy. She doesnññ‚¬ñ„±t live for the fame. She lives to make you happy. She lives for your applause. 

Beautiful understated performance that still managed to relay a bold and powerful message. 

Edited by DanceInTheFlames

Watched it in HD. Loved it even more, it really was brilliant.

All performances have their flaws for sure, but I feel like some people have painted her into the perfect corner so that no matter what she does there will always be something wrong.

I think it was an excellent performance, love almost everything about it and her vocals at the start gave me shivers; so beautiful. This is just the taster for the ARTPOP era, now she's gonna get into full swing.

• Shadow locked this topic