Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

'BR' goes 10x platinum, Judas 2x platinum, Marry the Night platinum

Americano

Featured Posts

WarriorPrince

I still find this stupid.

Really? What's up with everyone giving less credit to sales?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Americano

I still find this stupid.

Really? What's up with everyone giving less credit to sales?

No one buys music anymore, that's why.

Harry

Yea but they used to count Jukebox plays back in the day as sales, so it's only fair to keep up.

As funny as it is, its a bit ridic MTN is now platinum. But I do think to an extent this reflects a real change.

I NEVER buy music, not even Gaga, anymore. I use spotify premium and put it all on my playlist there. So they need to begin adding that in somehow 

But jukeboxes were different, you had to pay to listen to a song, buying a listen. Whereas now fans can just put the video on repeat for free and labels can buy views or whatever they do.

I can understand why they factored it into the Hot 100 because it is a completely new way of experiencing music against sales and radio, but it's a little silly just how much it accounts for. And having them included in certifications? It's silly.

Cherry

"Born This Way" should actually be at 5x Platinum, because it was very close to, if not at, 4x Platinum before the rule change (3.7 million or something like that in digital sales plus an unusually high amount of CD single sales/shipments) and it has the equivalent of 1 million sales just from its official VEVO video alone.

Harry

But this is about single sales, aren't they now higher than they have ever been?

WarriorPrince

No one? Honey, digital sales are still very strong. This years we got a 6x platinum song in the charts, and it's aiming for that 7x. Not to talk about how well Rih's, Bruno's and Taylors singles are selling.

"Born This Way" should actually be at 5x Platinum, because it was very close to, if not at, 4x Platinum before the rule change (3.7 million or something like that in digital sales plus an unusually high amount of CD single sales/shipments) and it has the equivalent of 1 million sales just from its official VEVO video alone.

Yes, it should be 5x since it has 1.8M streams from youtube and 3.8M sales 

Americano

But this is about single sales, aren't they now higher than they have ever been?

But so is streaming?

I posted in the other thread, but I'll post here.

What if a fan only uses Spotify and listened to Judas 500 times on their account, and they have a premium paid subscription and play it on their iPhone all of the time. You don't want to count that at all in any shape or form?

Someone that bought the song would've listened to it a fraction of the amount of times.

Or, what if someone paid for a discounted song only .69 cents on iTunes and listened to it only once, but someone has a Spotify premium account and plays the song 50 times a day paying royalty to the artist via the service, how can those not be weighed at all in some form in terms of a sale?

Runway

Yup. Is at 4,946,000~ now

It sold around 45,000 CD singles

Americano

I understand that the weight may have been a bit off, it's kind of crazy that suddenly one of Gaga's singles that flopped just gained 500,000 sales, but I think it has to be factored in somehow or in some form.

Fizzy

I think US sales are counted, bad Romance might have had other US views totalled upto 500 that resulted in 10x Platinum! All the world views are not fair though!

“The scars on my mind are on Replay”

Harry

But so is streaming?

I posted in the other thread, but I'll post here.

What if a fan only uses Spotify and listened to Judas 500 times on their account, and they have a premium paid subscription and play it on their iPhone all of the time. You don't want to count that at all in any shape or form?

Someone that bought the song would've listened to it a fraction of the amount of times.

Or, what if someone paid for a discounted song only .69 cents on iTunes and listened to it only once, but someone has a Spotify premium account and plays the song 50 times a day paying royalty to the artist via the service, how can those not be weighed at all in some form in terms of a sale?

I know streaming is on the up, and I acknowledged the importance of it in my other post. The post you quoted is in response to you saying that "No one buys music anymore" which is simply incorrect when we're talking about the certification of single sales.

It is completely debatable and it's a matter of opinion. I totally see where you're coming from with that idea and I think streams should count for something because they can be a valid measure of popularity. But at the same time it's a lot easier for fans and labels to rig chart success, and they just aren't, by definition, 'sales'.

I say let streams be celebrated and weighed, just like sales are in certifications and radio play is in audience impressions - but no need to combine them and confuse them like this, I don't think RIAA should be involved in tracking streams. Keep the different mediums separate.

Luc

I think that the views should be multiplied by the quotient of the likes:dislikes, like, for example, take Baby.

1,636,903 likes, 3,452,988 dislikes. 5,089,891 in total.

This means that ~31% of the total votes, are likes.

The view count is 855,760,306.

Now multiply the per cent of likes out of total votes with the views, and you'll get a much better number.

In this case:

0,31*885760306 = ~265,285,694 views. That'd be much fairer, and songs like Baby wouldn't turn diamond, songs like Friday and Hot Problems wouldn't turn platinum.

Fizzy

Well i think they are US views because Rolling in The deep got only 8x Platinum! And it has 400 million views! Yay for Gaga! Lol

But baby got 12x platinum! :(

Love you like a Love Song is 4x Platinum. Yay

“The scars on my mind are on Replay”

Archived