Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

M.I.A.

Pazuzu

Favorite album/mixtape?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite album/mixtape?

Featured Posts

politicqxs

i think it's Kerala, a southwestern city in india. those boys are probably the drum boys.

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pazuzu

• politicqxs

• Sam

• Degenerate Beauty

Tommymonster44

I'm very happy she got nominated for video of the year! She deserves it! Unfortunately, it is basically decided that she won't win it. Drake, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Gotye all have much larger fan bases than she does. The VMA's are just a popularity contest. But we all know what the real video of the year is :D.

Edited by Tommymonster44

VICKILEEKX

I Lost All My Respect When She Badmouthed Gaga... -.-

Why ? Just because she don't like her or what ? Not everybody on the planet is loving Gaga, chill out.

And by the way she did not diss her or something like that. She just said her opinion.

Don't lose respect for her, just take amusement from it. The whole NME "She sounds more like me than I fukcing do" thing was so misinformed and stupid, you gotta laugh at her (and NME).

politicqxs

gaga is kinda pretentious. u know

and matangi tracklist tomorrow :excited2:

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

Tommymonster44

She didn't really trash Gaga as much as the press made it out to be. Basically, M.I.A. said that Gaga is talented, does do some great things in the visual world, but she also does it with the help of her Haus. It's M.I.A.'s personal ideal to do things for yourself. She also said that her music isn't progressive and mainly relies on the "weird visual factor".

So basically, it's how I view Gaga. She comes up with a ton of great ideas, but she still needs some help from a professional team. Her visuals are pretty groundbreaking, but the music is a lot more generic.

wiltedbliss

Ok Ok....I Guess You're Right ...>Anyways, Can You Guys Suggest To Me Songs By Her That Are Good, I Wanna Buy Them From Itunes...

Tommymonster44

Ok Ok....I Guess You're Right ...>Anyways, Can You Guys Suggest To Me Songs By Her That Are Good, I Wanna Buy Them From Itunes...

I would recommend looking into the songs on Arular or Kala, first. Her third LP, // / Y / and Vicki leekx are a little harder to get into. M.I.A. described Arular as being manlier and Kala as being more feminine. Which makes sense. Arular is her dads name, Kala is her moms name. The songs on Arular are more dance driven. To me, it's the funnest album. Kala is driven by effects a lot more than Arular. World influences are a little less obvious on Kala. I started with the album // / Y /, and liked it. It's definitely the most underground out of her three LP's. With M.I.A., you gotta understand what's happening around her at the time she makes music because that's what she puts into it. // / Y / is basically M.I.A. reinstating that she isn't looking for money/fame/success after Paper Planes became a hit. The production is intentionally "messy" and it's very loud/in your face.

Sorry, I kind of jumbled that all together. Back to your original question now:

On Arular, the standouts for me were: 10 Dollar, Sunshowers, Galang, and 10 Dollar

On Kala: 20 Dollar, World Town, Bamboo Banga, World Town.

On // / Y /: Steppin' Up, XXXO, Lovalot, Meds and Feds.

10 Dollar and 20 Dollar are my two personal favorites for some reason. Not a case for a lot of other fans, I noticed. But that's just me :).

• Mills locked this topic