Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Enough time has passed...

MEM

Featured Posts

MEM

...the reason HARLEQUIN exists is because, despite all her best efforts to encourage Joaquin to sing live, when she heard those final tracks she was like :laughga:

Listen, nothing against him & I've loved their friendship throughout the JFAD press tour, but I had super high expectations :traumatica:

Also, I know Arthur Fleck is not supposed to be a singer but some of those numbers were a STRUGGLE

Thanks Mother Monster for coming thru :holdmyhand:

• LMAO 3
  • Shook 1

bionic
9 minutes ago, MEM said:

Also, I know Arthur Fleck is not supposed to be a singer but some of those numbers were a STRUGGLE

yeah but its nonsensical in terms of making a viewer-friendly product to not at least have him sing super well in the dream sequences... why bother making a musical if nobody is going to actually SING?

gaga took one listen of that soundtrack and thought "im not letting anybody walk out believing thats the best i can do"

buy bionic
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

MEM
19 minutes ago, Knife said:

I couldn't stop myself from laughing in the theatre a few times during his singing. 

My first viewing I was like omg this is not the way to have non-musical people appreciate a musical :messga: 

I love all kinds of musicals but even I cringed! Plus his numbers were longer than Gaga's I couldn't believe!!

Trying to decide which was more cringe between For Once In My Life and Gonna Build A Mountain (Reprise)... where was the vocal coach smh

Second viewing though I was vibing :firega:

Edited by MEM
  • Like 1

Anderson123

I mean.. The Joker is a persona, he was singing as The Joker and it fit what they were doing with this whole project. Joaquin doesn't sing that bad, he did some  Johnny Cash songs with Reese Witherspoon for that movie and it's amazing and love it so much.

• Like 1

fede ARTPOP

He sounded very good tbh, If you go away:diane:, I needed Gaga’s version tho:giveup:

now·taw·ree·uhs  bee·uhng
  • Love 1

Werewoof

I’m not exactly sure why Harlequin was made, but it’s really been on replay for me since it came out. I’m just glad we have it. 

OliviaRodrigoStan

His singing was horrible. He said Gaga spat her drink when she heard him sing, and I can only guess it was from laughter because... :ladyhaha:

He's a wonderful actor, but a singer, he is not. I'm glad Gaga gave us an album with properly sung tracks, cause, it was rough :sis:

HEART OF EVER-FROST

Gaga Scholar

I'm starting to think they backtracked on marketing the film as a full-tilt jukebox musical (as I believe it was originally sold to us) in an attempt to sidestep any critique through that lens. I get the sense that Todd and Joaquin liked the idea of a musical end product more than they liked the idea of all it would take to do it right. 

When they realized they didn't want to work that hard on those aspects, they half-assed it and retconned some marketing. 

Sure, "Harley isn't a professional singer," but they also couldn't have Gaga outshine Joaquin when he wasn't gonna go all "Walk the Line" with his preparation for Joker. 

Just a theory, though. 

Edited by Gaga Scholar
"The truth is..." --L. Gaga, 1986-present

Gaga Scholar
2 hours ago, bionic said:

yeah but its nonsensical in terms of making a viewer-friendly product to not at least have him sing super well in the dream sequences... why bother making a musical if nobody is going to actually SING?

Gaga took one listen of that soundtrack and thought "im not letting anybody walk out believing thats the best i can do"

This. That's what doesn't make sense to me. Lee gets to sing well in Arthur's dreams, but Arthur doesn't get to sing well in Arthur's dreams?!

I can understand the argument that Arthur's envisioning Lee as his dream girl, but...that's asking the audience to do some unnecessary mental gymnastics. 

Plus, when Arthur's in the Joker persona, he's so confident--and therefore should be able to sing well, IMO. :shrug:

Edited by Gaga Scholar
"The truth is..." --L. Gaga, 1986-present
  • Thanks 1