movie

Joker: FAD projected to lose up to $200M

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Jill
5 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

I’m a box office nerd :vegas:

So a hater :kry:

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

TortureMeOnReplay
5 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

I would argue it will lose even more as it needs $450-500M to BREAK EVEN. More so $500M. 

It might barely crack $200M. 

I believe it's about $300M to break even based on 200 production and 100 marketing. 

4 hours ago, mamo said:

The concept of the film was great don't get me wrong but the execution was so poor. It may have sounded tempting to sign on but also a massive risk which in the end didn't pay off at all unfortunately. I hope she can recover from this and sign on to a better film because I truly enjoy her as an actress.

This is why you have agents and a team. They're supposed to protect you from these sorts of blunders by helping you pick good roles + scripts. Although I'm pretty sure Gaga just signed on because she wanted to but this can also be a negative. I feel like she's too trusting of people who don't have her best interests at heart and I believe Todd Phillips didn't handle the character of Lee with any care at all. I still can't believe how much she was side-lined in the film. I understand the film is about Joker but when you cast THE Lady Gaga and completely underuse her...what an epic failure as a director. The vision of the film was a mess. It didn't know what it wanted to be and with that came its lackluster reception. Quite sad as the film had so much potential. 

I disagree about her team not having her best interests at heart. She's obviously happy with where she is and Bobby got her put in stadiums and the Super Bowl while she seems to be in a much better space now. If you're talking about Todd, then possibly. But a lot of directors really don't care much about the talent and heavily prioritize their vision. Which is what seems to have happened here. That's nothing super special about the job. She needs to go with lower budget productions ie Silver Linings etc. 

fede ARTPOP

I still love the movie, the visuals, the trailer, the songs, the score, Gagas looks, is a masterpiece tbh. GP hater cause musical/Gaga and that Joker is not from Batman universe and zero DC elements. So:vegas:

now·taw·ree·uhs  bee·uhng
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

RickMonster98

With its digital release maybe it will catch up moneywise? 

I remember reading about a movie finally starting to making money for a company after being release on streaming, despite flopping initially

AMRer

The movie is bad af but Gaga will be fine...

Can we say every movie she appears on is worse than the previous? :bradley:

Reality
5 hours ago, SpiritBunny said:

The concept was doomed from the get. You guys don’t realize the majority of comic book fans are misogynistic or incels who hate women and are always complaining about how woke Hollywood is. Singing in the movie was never going to work commercially. 

I think it could've if they really went for it though. If the musical sequences were made into a spectacle with a ton of visual pazzazz, I don't think people would've minded it. Joker and Harley are campy characters, so it definitely could've worked. The problem is that it felt half-assed.

The problem was the story because it inherently subverts expectations. The whole plot was about how Arthur was not the Joker and that's not what people want to see. The first movie ended with Arthur finally embracing the Joker moniker, so this was a big 180 for people.

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

Guillaume Hamon
1 hour ago, TortureMeOnReplay said:

I believe it's about $300M to break even based on 200 production and 100 marketing

7 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

I would argue it will lose even more as it needs $450-500M to BREAK EVEN. More so $500M. 

It might barely crack $200M. 

Well it's at $165M WW ( a day before the China release ) after 11 days of exploitation so I believe it will crack $200M and maybe $300M.

Also I believe they make huge deals with platforms for exclusivity after the theatrical run which could help the movie to not represent a financial loss overall.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl2339995649/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

Edited by Guillaume Hamon

Emvee
1 hour ago, Louvre said:

hope Gaga releases a statement at some point!

To say what exactly? To throw people under the bus? That might be how WB and Todd Phillips operate, but it’s not her style. 

Edited by Emvee
  • Like 3

Wewaited12hrs

Idk...I loved it. It got applause after my screening and my friend and I were talking to the people around us and we were all saying how pleasantly surprised we were that it was good. Mind you this was on Sunday so we had all been aware of the negative reception. I firmly believe that the film is excellent and its just not what people expected so everyone is jumping on this hate trian when there is far more nuance to the film. I love when a film, especially a sequel, does something unexpected, ESPECIALLY given how cookie cutter Hollywood and comic book cinema is right now. Gaga's Harley was an original take on the character and while she was a supporting role, it was so integral to the overall film. And imo it was her best performance to date. It looked incredible in 70mm IMAX too.