Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

We need to put whatever negativity we give to Bloodpop and transfer that to Todd Philips. I was hyped and open-minded and left disappointed.

She felt randomly tacked onto the whole plot and regardless the plot sucked ass. I was excited for a sequel. Just do what the first did well but even better with a little musical twist.

Instead it was a courthouse drama regurgitating the first film with random musical snippets and Gaga in the background smirking.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

her inclusion in the movie, franchise and fandom just feels quite ham-fisted and uncomfortable. from a marketing perspective i feel they've bitten off more than they can chew in terms of trying to keep these vastly different audiences happy, and in trying to keep them in a state of willingness to actually go see it. it is a musical, no it isn't, but it is really being a prime example. not to mention billing her as a lead, only to give her 50 minutes screen time. then for her character to be redundant to the entire plot?

from what I've seen I think I'll really enjoy her acting, but maybe Gaga's presence will feel a little jarring. she needs to build her own world, not visit somebody else's

The marketing has been bad ngl, especially with the whole "it's not a musical" rhetoric, but I don't feel like her inclusion in the movie is ham-fisted. From the trailers and clips, she seems to fit into the world seamlessly. And idk, but 50 minutes is a good amount of screen time, especially for a supporting role. One criticism I've seen is that they wished Lee/Harley was fleshed out more, but I feel like that has to do more with the writing than the amount of screen time.

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Like 2

Roughhouse Dandy
16 minutes ago, Reality said:

Comparing this to @StarstruckIllusion and @Roughhouse Dandy's reviews is fascinating because they loved it :icega: 

A deeply divisive movie just wants to make me see it more because I want to see where I fall on it :giveup: 

Definitely go see it and see how you feel! While I don't agree with a lot of OP's takes here, I see where the takes are coming from. I think people would have an easier time digesting what kind of role/symbol Lee plays in the story if it were a random actor in the role instead of Gaga. Gaga's name and presence suggests Lee should be more explicitly involved instead of one variable in a long equation adding up to what shakes out for Arthur. I think marketing did their best with what they were given, but Gaga feels bigger than the character they gave her. I'm very glad she got the role, but it would have made things easier for both marketing and the audience if Lee was an unknown actor. 

And (not saying @Obobo didn't) if you're not 100% keeping in mind what Lee represents and how that influences the musical numbers, she and they can easily feel tacked on/unnecessary. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Just now, Reality said:

The marketing has been bad ngl, especially with the whole "it's not a musical" rhetoric, but I don't feel like her inclusion in the movie is ham-fisted. From the trailers and clips, she seems to fit into the world seamlessly. And idk, but 50 minutes is a good amount of screen time, especially for a supporting role. One criticism I've seen is that they wished Lee/Harley was fleshed out more, but I feel like that has to do more with the writing than the amount of screen time.

She actually does feel ham-fisted.

They cut out A LOT of scenes in the trailer and what we seen from early fan cams. Her scenes lacked a lot of context which means they don't really matter for the plot at all. We don’t even see her backstory, we just get a random mini exposition dump.

Majority of her scenes are just her smirking, walking, doing a little dance or singing for like 10-30 seconds. 

We don’t even see much of her transformation she just changes and is there… 

BradleyCooper
15 minutes ago, Obobo said:

We need to put whatever negativity we give to Bloodpop and transfer that to Todd Philips. I was hyped and open-minded and left disappointed.

She felt randomly tacked onto the whole plot and regardless the plot sucked ass. I was excited for a sequel. Just do what the first did well but even better with a little musical twist.

Instead it was a courthouse drama regurgitating the first film with random musical snippets and Gaga in the background smirking.

Exactly how I felt. Not to be a Debby Downer but I found it to be dull, depressing, and unnecessary. Gaga stole the show in every scene but it just wasn’t enough to save it in my opinion.

I watched ASIB 10 times in theaters, HOG 4 times in theaters, but I really don’t feel compelled to watch JFAD in theaters again. :bradley:  I feel like such a terrible Little Monster.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Obobo said:

She actually does feel ham-fisted.

They cut out A LOT of scenes in the trailer and what we seen from early fan cams. Her scenes lacked a lot of context which means they don't really matter for the plot at all. We don’t even see her backstory, we just get a random mini exposition dump.

Majority of her scenes are just her smirking, walking, doing a little dance or singing for like 10-30 seconds. 

We don’t even see much of her transformation she just changes and is there… 

I mean, I can't really argue with any of that since I haven't seen the film yet.

From what you're saying though, it seems like the role itself is ham-fisted, not necessarily Gaga. As Roughhouse said earlier, do you think the Lee role would've worked better if it wasn't Gaga and instead some other actress? Her being in the cast might've set high expectations for the role.

Just came back from seeing it, AND Gaga IS AWESOME in the scenes she is in!!  :giveup:

They gave use free poster, and on my screening, there was someone from Cinemascore who asks every audience to score on the movie. AND I OF COURSE RANK IT WITH AN A! :cheeky:
Everyone else on audience also said Gaga is great in it. There were huge applause and cheers when the movie ended. Everyone  we're super appreciative, respectful l, and huge cinephiles. Like, wveryone were ao focused and there not even one phone turns on during the movie! I am super happy that I chose the right place to watch the premiere in! :woot:

other than that, my thoughts is on my twitter above!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 8

*mild spoilers*

Spoiler

story and pacing were not there for me really, I feel like their relation/connection was just glossed over and ran with and there wasn't any build up/development associated with it. Overall acted well and 'dream' sequences were entertaining and filmed nice, but movie just kinda meandered and didn't drive one specific point home (at least imo). It was ok. (Gaga did well and I don't have any qualms necessarily about her, it was the writing/script that maybe just wasn't there to begin with)

Edited by StressedOut
  • Like 4

TylerMedeiros

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

I’m so mad that the film didn’t end with her getting him arrested and her dance song on the stairs.

and then they kill Joker? 

wut?

great movie but wut in the…

Edited by artdoll
Context
YEET

3 minutes ago, TylerMedeiros said:

great movie but wut in the…

Please put spoiler under the spoiler tag!

read how on OP :flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 1

Girl, not the untagged spoilers... :saladga::saladga::saladga::saladga:

Edited by Reality
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• River pinned this topic