Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Real Panda

Yeah some trailer stuff were not there, as much as I remember the Elevator scene in Harley-esque makeup and outift was not there. And also the one where Gaga wears the blue dress with little flowers and they do a musical number that appears in the trailer was also cut.

River
6 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

Yeah some trailer stuff were not there, as much as I remember the Elevator scene in Harley-esque makeup and outift was not there. And also the one where Gaga wears the blue dress with little flowers and they do a musical number that appears in the trailer was also cut.

That's very WB thing to do, cut scenes from the trailer.

I honestly wouldn't blame Todd but I would blame James Gunn, he had control on the final product and he didn't seem to believe in the movie in the first place and treated it as the final crumb from old obligations of WB and DC.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

zerojk
7 hours ago, InTheCloset said:

In just one day a two year hype has melted away. Joker fad is 1% away from being rotten. Harlequin isnt cracking the top 10. 
Im just so down

Honestly this is why she shouldn't put all eggs in one basket, seems her entire year rollout was planned around this movie predicting it would smash (hence why are still waiting for LG7 when it has been ready a while ago)

like I once said... you cannot predict what will happen

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

CyanDante
26 minutes ago, River said:

I honestly wouldn't blame Todd but I would blame James Gunn, he had control on the final product and he didn't seem to believe in the movie in the first place and treated it as the final crumb from old obligations of WB and DC.

Wait this is brand new information! How did James Gunn get involved? Dafuq

I am a fan so obviously I am biased, but even from a neutral pov there was nothing to build up or substantiate Lee’s character. She was just there.

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

Real Panda
43 minutes ago, River said:

I didnt know James Gunn did the editing for this

GagasEnigma4
1 hour ago, amourssauvages said:

I just come back from the movie. I'm french, so i'll try to articulate my opinion in english the best i can :')

The movie is OK. Gaga's performance is mesmerising. Truly.

But oh boy, does the story feel shallow.

It's sad because i find the topic of "folie à deux" fascinating, not only because i work in mental health, but because the first movie was already about a share madness between arthur and his mother. They had ever ingredient to make an amazing movie and i expected a lot cause the depiction of mental illness in the first one was brillant.

But Folie à deux falls short, the story is really poorly put together. We are witnessing two people falling in love but without anything to understand why and how.
Another thing that made the first movie great was the context in which the characters did evolve. It feels like for Folie à deux, they should have chose between what we called a "huis clos" in french (in camera?) or in an open world. They didn't chose and it's really sad.

I tried my best :pawsup:

Agree completely. I was a psychology major, and was really hoping they would get more into the shared madness between the two. Instead it was mainly a courtroom drama. And their “love” seemed not believable bc we never got to see the why or how. I am so sad I really was expecting a different story to be told.

Gaga was amazing and I will watch a few more times to support her, but overall I am disappointed. But just glad she got to play this role and do what she wanted to do. She was fantastic!! But barely in it and I just wanted more. I dont even know why it was called Folie A Deux since it didnt really dive into that aspect too much. I felt like the trailers were misleading, and the movie told a whole different story.

Edited by GagasEnigma4
  • Love 1

River
33 minutes ago, CyanDante said:

Wait this is brand new information! How did James Gunn get involved? Dafuq

I am a fan so obviously I am biased, but even from a neutral pov there was nothing to build up or substantiate Lee’s character. She was just there.

18 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

I didnt know James Gunn did the editing for this

He’s the the co-CEO of DC Studios

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Stephen
1 hour ago, River said:

Completely your own assumption. No offense, just none of that can be proved.

Real Panda

What I want to know after all of this is done, is if WB once again interfered with a Director's vision of the movie and edited it or changed some scenes

elijahfan

Ok, the film probably won’t be what we first expected… It’s one of the rare occurrences where you see more in the trailer than in the actual film, so I won’t say too much and spoil the few surprises that are left. Gaga is definitely the lead female role, but it’s also true that she’s cruelly underused, especially in the second half. I’m not surprised she felt the need to do more with this character and release a companion album. Phoenix is amazing, but I’m not sure the film really needed to focus that heavily around him, we had the first film for that. I think it’s a missed opportunity to do something really different. At the same time, it also wants to be too many different things at once, so each aspect doesn’t feel fully fleshed-out.

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

63grekke
13 hours ago, smitherz said:

btw I think it’s totally fine for fans to dislike something their fav has made.

just don’t be an asshole about it 

Most people are criticizing the movie for its plot and (lack of) character arcs, while the acting and visuals are widely praised. I don’t get why some fans are are getting so offended— the criticism isn’t about Gaga at all lol

• Thanks 3

It's a nice movie imo, still have to process that end, mixed feelings if I like it or not as:

Spoiler

We've been fooled for 2 movies!!

I LOVED when 'Folie a Deux' played, though wish it'd been a the whole song. I also loved 'The Joker' scene but wish Gaga sang it too, not just Joaquin

gerrygaga

I think this needs a proper topic since some are having problems with her getting less screen time. Just watched it hours ago. Some critics/people lied about not having original song. Also, unfair they gave the film negative reviews just because of Gaga being underused. 1st, there is an original song and it was elegant & beautiful. 2nd, Lee was felt almost the entire film, of course Arthur has more scenes since it is his story, but Lee was ESSENTIAL. This is not a professional opinion but I would spend a whole day discussing to Warner it would be unfair if Gaga is campaigned "supporting" just because of lesser screen time than Joaquin or maybe she has more chances winning "supporting" than "lead."

Before watching this film, I liked the idea of her being campaigned for supporting due to "more chances of winning" but i changed my mind, she deserves LEAD nomination for what she did. And I am sorry, i apologize to Lady Gaga for doubting her prowess just because of the early reviews.

Overall, I think this is her best film, above A Star Is Born, Joker 2 is heaviest and most impactful. A LOT OF TRIGGER WARNING, although this was already obvious on the 1st film, but sequel is way way way more trigger warning. Please be careful & take care of yourselves before & after watching this movie.

PERSONAL RANKING:

Film as a whole
1. Joker 2
2. A Star Is Born
3. House Of Gucci

Gaga's acting
1. Joker 2
2. House Of Gucci
3. A Star Is Born

Congrats Gaga and Happy October Monsters. A great & special year indeed.

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 19
  • Thanks 2