Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Reviews । Harlequin

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Prigari

It’s always like that when she drop a new project.

All critics calling TFM a masterpiece now was bashing her 15 years ago. 

She’s creating for the long run, no worry 😉 

• Like 2

Sorcerer

No other pop singer can do what she did in Harlequin. It was not even just jazz. It was also blues and soft rock.

That The Guardian review was like "we already know she can sing" as if that's a bad thing.

• Like 1

MOT
1 hour ago, Karl said:

If you're referring to The Guardian review they're always snooty and want to be opposite what everyone else thinks I wouldn't worry too much, the pitchfork of newspapers imo :ladyhaha:

The Guardian, God love them, would hold their nose in a rose garden.

• LMAO 1
  • Love 1

Lextyr97

Why does it matter if it’s damn covers. Why can’t it be reviewed for what it is? She has a full album coming out around the corner :saladga: she just wanted to have fun. 

Not saying this album deserves it because I still haven’t listened but I’m convinced she’ll never have a critically acclaimed album at this point. I don’t get why critics go so hard on her

Edited by Lextyr97

lilboyblue
5 hours ago, buzzkill said:

To me, sadly felt like I was always in search of a cumble of originality in the songs to justify this album.

Huh?

• Thanks 1

Levine

7/10 is good, considering that 10 is perfection and no one would give an album of a popstar that score.

If we consider stars, 3/5 is pathetic because it translated in 60/100 and this album is way high than that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

DanielM

I get the critics. This could be a great EP if she would stick with the good new ideas (World on a String, Smile, The Joker, FAD, Happy Mistake) and got rid of the pointless, yet great standard jazz covers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

NATAH

i'm kinda worried cus on my first listen i was like "...meh jazz isn't for me" but on my second listen i'm really falling in love with some of these covers :messga:

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 1

RenegAde
2 hours ago, 4BLAiNE said:

I’ve felt this way a long time, and the release of the exceptional Harlequin has only further cemented my belief that Gaga is held, in my opinion, to almost ridiculously high standards that often feels very unfair in some reviews of her work. 

With all due respect, I could almost guarantee that 95% of other major pop acts releasing an album this vocally and instrumentally masterful would be universally lauded, but the fact Gaga gets a “Yes We Know She Can Sing and do Jazz” in a review is very interesting to me. I truly think some take her level of skill for granted these days. 

Which actually, only further cements how incredible she really is.

Happy Harlequin Day everybody! ❤️

I know If Billie eilish or beyonce released this, people would be acting like it was God's gift on earth.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 4

Bronco

I do love the album and the variety in it compared to her 2 Tony albums. 

But I won't be surprised if the general reception from critics stays mixed with them praising the vocals but asking what was the point of doing largely traditional covers of songs shes already covering in JFAD.

MOT

I suppose critics have to justify their existence, but I roll my eyes at their wondering what's the 'point' or is it 'needed'. Take Smile for example. Charlie Chaplin wrote it, and he was probably the first to record it (I don't know), but does that mean nobody else should record it ? And when somebody else does record it, why stop at two ? Why not 102 ? They'll all be different.

95% of albums that you hear will feature a singer who doesn't sing as well as Gaga, so let's have this album, let's have as much as possible of her. I'll be playing this album to death. It sounds beautiful. I'll play it and enjoy it. THAT is the point.

• Like 5

ARTPOPistah
57 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I do love the album and the variety in it compared to her 2 Tony albums. 

But I won't be surprised if the general reception from critics stays mixed with them praising the vocals but asking what was the point of doing largely traditional covers of songs shes already covering in JFAD.

Imo the point for her Is having fun singing those songs + keep on being recognised as a great interpreter of the Great american songbook even withut Tony Bennett.

I can see that Traditional pop vocali album nomination coming. Bookmark me

Edited by ARTPOPistah
  • Like 1

River

If you check the Guardian's critic twitter, you can understand what kind of music he likes and why something a bit more challenging is not for his taste.

Take the worst shallow gays that thinks being negative is edgy because they have a "drag queen in the head" and let them write a review about jazz, soul and blues music.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta