interview

Gaga: FAD isn't really a musical

VTV

Featured Posts

Red
9 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

I think the PR and messaging here is so messy and poorly executed. If it's not a musical, then stop talking about the music so much. Just let it be. If it's about people's inner soundtracks to their lives, let it be that. No need to advertise a musical element, then row back a little bit to keep the incels on board, whilst not alienating the gays....All a bit sloppy.  You can't be all things to all people

The PR team must be the same of Mean Girls (2024)

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • LMAO 3

HelloHangoverz
2 minutes ago, Red said:

The PR team must be the same of Mean Girls (2024)

there is truly a PR professional shortage this year it seems. its biggest victim is Capitol records but looks like there are other tragedies too

Edited by HelloHangoverz
sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • LMAO 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash
7 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Am I the only person who thinks this makes perfect sense though? A musical implies that the music leads the story, comes out of nowhere and suddenly every scene becomes a choreographed and perfected segment almost. Where as I think what she’s saying here is that their insanity and almost “sloppiness” makes it impossible for that to happen and after all they’re psychos who just randomly start singing in public and fantasising. (Think your local meth addict on the street).

Thats what I’ve got from this. I would imagine it’s similar to ASIB where the music is integral but not fore-frontal. 

Not necessarily, there are plenty of musicals where the numbers are dream sequences or asides and, given that Gaga said the numbers “express the characters’ inner worlds,” I think it’s pretty fair to say this could be characterized as a musical. It’s a semantic trick to try to avoid the stigma of categorizing it as a musical, imo. 

• Like 1

Mr Oak
14 minutes ago, Meredith Grey said:

I remember it came out earlier in the year that studios “hide” that films are musicals in their trailers because audiences are less likely to see a movie for that reason.

Like the Wicked trailer, which is crazy bc it is an adaptation of the broadway musical :traumatica:

• Like 1

DavidLuis198
30 minutes ago, gagzus said:

Am I the only person who thinks this makes perfect sense though? A musical implies that the music leads the story, comes out of nowhere and suddenly every scene becomes a choreographed and perfected segment almost. Where as I think what she’s saying here is that their insanity and almost “sloppiness” makes it impossible for that to happen and after all they’re psychos who just randomly start singing in public and fantasising. (Think your local meth addict on the street).

Thats what I’ve got from this. I would imagine it’s similar to ASIB where the music is integral but not fore-frontal. 

That's exactly what happens in Dancer In The Dark and it's considered a musical (even though the first song appears at 42m after the movie started)

I don't know how to write in english

Lucas

I just realised we are basically getting 2 new albums in the coming months :giveup:

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

63grekke
53 minutes ago, Gagaplayer315 said:

Me when I lie

54 minutes ago, Red said:

Ok Lady GaGaslight

You guys are being ridiculous. A musical is something like *La La Land* or *West Side Story*—where cheesy, operatic singing comes out of nowhere and doesn't even fit with what’s happening. 

ASIB was about a pop star, so the music scenes felt more natural as the scenes with music were just her performing.

The first Joker movie had random dancing and singing, and the same thing applies to the sequel—it actually makes sense with the plot. So, no, it’s not a musical.

Media literacy is dead.

• Thanks 4

StrawberryBlond

If the songs are just in there as a way to express what the characters are feeling, then that's totally a musical. A musical isn't just defined by a certain sound and a whole showtune where the entire company is singing and dancing behind them. It's literally anything where acting and music plays a major or equal role. I mean, all the Disney animated movies are considered musicals, even though I would just consider them movies with songs in them. I once watched a tv programme that listed audience voted best musicals and the majority of them weren't even stage musicals and were just movies with a lot of songs in them. ASIB is technically considered a musical.

I think the cast have been briefed to downplay the musical aspect to ensure its core fanbase aren't put off. But its marketing campaign would be so much more effective if they just sold it as a musical (albeit a different, cool one) and ran with it. You've got to go balls to the wall when it comes to selling the movie. It'll only annoy viewers when they realise you misled them.

Chlorine

"Music is used to give the characters a way to express what they really need to say, because the scene and just the dialogue is not enough."

The screenwriter: 

rpdr-kennedy-davenport.gif

A Very Gaga Holida

Obviously, I haven’t seen the movie but from what we saw, I don’t think it looks exactly like a musical but I can see why people are confused.

Either way, it’s nothing important, really. The film is what it is.

A Very Gaga Holida
32 minutes ago, 63grekke said:

You guys are being ridiculous. A musical is something like *La La Land* or *West Side Story*—where cheesy, operatic singing comes out of nowhere and doesn't even fit with what’s happening. 

ASIB was about a pop star, so the music scenes felt more natural as the scenes with music were just her performing.

The first Joker movie had random dancing and singing, and the same thing applies to the sequel—it actually makes sense with the plot. So, no, it’s not a musical.

Media literacy is dead.

I wouldn’t be so harsh with the users you quoted, but I totally agree with your explanation of the difference between a true musical and Joker to me

• Love 1