Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
game

GENSHIN IMPACT Faces Backlash Over "Ethnic Erasure" On Newest Region

OliviaRodrigoStan

Featured Posts

OliviaRodrigoStan
3 minutes ago, NATAH said:

see, y'all should just play warframe

It doesn't have kawaii characters I'm afraid. Genshin is problematic, but has served excellence, it cannot be denied: 

birthday-art-genshinimpact-sangonomiya-k

:classy:

HEART OF EVER-FROST

NATAH
18 minutes ago, Jigglygoth said:

It doesn't have kawaii characters I'm afraid. Genshin is problematic, but has served excellence, it cannot be denied: 

birthday-art-genshinimpact-sangonomiya-k

:classy:

idk paimon is the reason i uninstalled :billie:

mother, what must i do?
  • YAAAS 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
13 minutes ago, NATAH said:

idk paimon is the reason i uninstalled :billie:

I mean, valid :messga:. She even got cancelled after Fontaine, karma really came for her :madge:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Shook 1

doja scat

are we surprised…it’s genshin impact after all 

don’t get stabbed with the (b)rat tooth

Karl
2 hours ago, HoeMoe said:

A FELLOW WOW ENJOYER IN GGD ?!??!!?!

I've been playing since BC, in fact I tried the pre patch event today but it was bugged so :messga: Classic Blizz :saladga:

HelloHangoverz

I tried playing this game once and didn't have a clue what was going on :cryga:

my head is filled with broken mirrors, so many I can't look away

YASKALE
4 hours ago, Jigglygoth said:

Wasn't the devs for that specific game the ones that said that, they were not going to have black characters because the game is based on European culture and it would "break the immersion" :toofunny:. Which is funny to me, brcause the Final Fantasy franchise is full of unambiguously asian looking characters, fully dressed with germanic fashion... but that's not "immersion breaking", only black people are? ok... :madge:

It's crazy because people started comparing how the mythological figures from Natlan look in their original cultures, and how they look in Genshin, and it's... :air:. This is how Olorun looks in African mythology: 

olorun.jpg

Vs how he is represented in Genshin: 

ARcTsUwOItiKLPOYuWGHKlcsQHBsuXjqfx042nJb

:air:

They EDIT the devs said that about Final Fantasy 16, not 14

Contrary to the person you’re quoting, I don’t recall any major issues with *14*. It’s a game that allows for a lot of diversity, and they are pretty good with their how they manifest their cultural inspiration. 

Edited by YASKALE

TwistedTeeth

I always cross my fingers for the downfall of Genshin Impact :hor:

LG7我们真的来喽(゜▽゜)🎉
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1

A D A M
1 hour ago, Jigglygoth said:

Mondstadt and Fontaine are very much "generic Europe", as they borrow elements from Germany, Italy, England and France. But even if the cultural elements are mixed randomly, the characters do resemble those regions, more or less. Jean does look british, which she probably is supposed to, and Fischl does look german. 

Generic Europe term captures it perfectly, for me it is a mumbo jumbo of things I am familiar with, but I don't see them following them more than just scratching the surface of the cultural heritage so it all mixed, also the erasure of slovac part of europe etc. I should be upset about it, because it follows the "not respecting faithfully my origins". But I'm not mad at all, because I know exactly why they did it, the things presented in first hours of gameplay were the crucial point to hook up the audience to the product, so they just slapped the most easy to sink into and over saturated things they could to appeal EVERYONE.

Again rolling back to my last paragraph of previous message, they collect data, they surveys ppl all the time, so they gather information what character traits and looks gonna appeal the audience, and I understand we have different audiences, circles of people, so maybe they just make bad research, they only ask their audience idk and don't listen to broader reception. I definitely see the patterns of what is released more, and because I'm gay myself I always noticed how female dominated are gachas.

Also I love the examples you provided with dark skinned characters, this is very much doable for me too. But again, the neglecting comes from the excel sheet that shows "ppl want more red-haired girls please".

• Like 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
7 hours ago, HelloHangoverz said:

I tried playing this game once and didn't have a clue what was going on :cryga:

The game is actually amazing, which is why we all want it to be more diverse. The first time I played, I got bored too, and uninstalled :ladyhaha:. I think I played for week or so; I was very unimpressed with the character designs, story and enemies, the only thing I enjoyed was the exploration aspect, and the open world features. 

Everything else seemed generic to me. Plus, my main unit was trash: 

ed910-16359191093687-1920.jpg

So I stopped playing. Months later I gave it another go, because the game was getting MASSIVE backlash over their first anniversary rewards (or lack thereof), and I didn't want to miss the drama :billie:. So I made a new account, and this time, I actually enjoyed the game a lot. 

I was having a lot of fun with the story, the combat, etc, but I really, really didn't like my main unit, again: 

format,webp

So I gave up, because I didn't want to play as him. It wasn't until last year, that I decided to give it one last chance, but this time I was determined to get my favorite character, so that I could really enjoy the experience. 

And I did, I got her on my first 10 pull :whitney: 

genshin-impact-banner-kokomi.jpg

So, with a character I really enjoyed playing as, the game was much more enjoyable for me. Your main can truly make or break the experience. 

That's why the community is asking for more diversity in terms of character design. The way characters look is basically the main draw the game has, it is a very important element. 

HEART OF EVER-FROST