opinion

Did you expect Taylor’s level of success for Gaga back then?

Aren

Featured Posts

Aren

I don’t know if it is because I was too young, but during the TFM era, I expected Gaga to maintain or even increase that level of success in her following eras. I basically expected current Taylor’s level of success for Gaga.

People say it’s impossible to maintain or increase that level of success. But Taylor proves it isn’t. Gaga was the most global and number one popstar, she definitely had a chance. If Taylor, who was still a boring local country act ended up becoming arguably the most successful female musician ever, Gaga definitely could have too. 

Don’t get me wrong, Gaga is still successful. But the possibility that she’s could’ve been much much bigger, makes me a little sad.

Edited by Aren
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

InTheCloset

I still do because im the biggest clown in the world

Where's the spunk, Adam?
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Roughhouse Dandy

No. This level of "success" happens for those who make art deemed safe and palatable enough for grandparents/young children to consume. 

The sex, violence, and satire Gaga has been putting out from the start capped that off and the performance art quality alienates a large portion of the gp that's left. I'm (happily) surprised she got as popular as she is. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 18
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 12

Didymus

Gaga's brand was way harder to uphold. Taylor's is easy as ****.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Aren
5 minutes ago, InTheCloset said:

I still do because im the biggest clown in the world

14-year-old me thought Gaga was untouchable and the TFM domination would last forever 💔

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 3

MadArchitect

No. Cause if she gets that she'll have to compromise, stop comparing her to Gaga, to me they're night and day artists, people say that she's all about music, but beyond the illusion she's clearly all about the business in music rather, Gaga wouldn't be Gaga if she was putting out the kind of things the way she does it. Gaga and her music represented a shift and a revolution in pop music that was striking and relentless like no other in recent times, she can't replicate that, or any other artist for that matter, she was as huge as it gets, i dont know why you are sad she wasn't bigger, why are you insecure about it? Gaga clearly doesn't mind it, and her fans need to move on too, she's not greedy nor narsissistic enough to have this mindset or be ever aiming at it, she's eternally grateful she gets to have a spot in the zeigaist of pop culture at all, and what a ****ing legendary spot!

Edited by MadArchitect
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 3

hieronymus

Taylor has become the McDonald's of the music industry to get this success, so no. It's not applicable to an actual artist.

• Like 10
  • Shook 2
  • Thanks 2

LateToCult

Not really. Back when Gaga’s music career was at its peak I was more of a casual fan so I wasn’t really looking at her star power or thinking about where it would go. I can say that after BTW her presence in pop culture nearly collapsed. She’s had 2 short waves of of prominence with the halftime show and ASIB. Hopefully Joker kickstarts a bigger wave for her.  

• Shook 1

LadyxGaGa

it’s because of how groundbreaking and innovative she is. she has been able to find a sound that she is able to mend and bend and make it fresh and new while being herself. 

• LMAO 2

MessyTop

I don’t think she can sell 1.4 million lipsticks in one day :trollga:

• LMAO 6
  • Shook 1

SevenWonder

Taylor's arc has never been seen before. Her original peak was 1989. Huge album. Imperial phase. All that jazz.

Then she did the normal thing that happens after a once in a lifetime peak: She ebbed back to the middle with Reputation and Lover. Both big albums for sure. But not 1989 big.

But then she not only re-peaked with Folkmore, Evermore, her Taylor versions, and Midnights, she's seemingly surpassed all her past peak eras, including 1989, with Poets. 

Not even Madonna did this - who did have two very successful albums (Ray of Light and Confessions) after she'd ebbed away from her imperial phase. But neither of those albums were BIGGER than True Blue or Like a Prayer. 

It's truly bizarre. And no one could have seen this coming after Lover. I know I didn't. 

That being said, I never thought Gaga would keep her TFM influence/peak because no pop star ever does or ever has. Except now Taylor. 

• Like 6
  • YAAAS 1

River

Taylor's success is nothing but heavy marketing and obsession of the fans, despite what the delusional blinded cult members fans are trying to tell you.

If we do the math and reduce the sales to only 1 variant, the numbers are not so impressive.

And about Gaga, I guess she's not that desperate to sell her music and be successful.. she's at the top of her own game.

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agunimon

Yes. But I also did not expect she'd sell makeup and become a movie star.  I expected her to be on at least album 9 by now.

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1

julz

Yes, because Gaga was giving her all and she is very talented! She was the talk of the town, and every music video release, hotel encounter, red carpet walk, interview, performance...was an event! She was larger than life! Before, she was like the Madonna of the future of some sorts to me.

But... Gaga's popularity and relevance now is just right I think. Yes, i wish that Gaga would be as famous as TS but Gaga knows what's healthy and true to herself. Just like Rihanna....Riri has not released an album for years but she stays relevant, popular and healthy. I think Gaga is like her in the fame sense. I would even say Gaga is more popular than Rihanna.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

PartySick

What success? Having big streaming numbers to her name and making a lot of money selling the same product to the same people 20 times over? :laughga:

Gaga's an infinitely more interesting and multifaceted artist. Imo, she's more successful than Taylor in any way that's important.

Taylor's on the radio but only Gaga is your fave's fave :staymad:

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2