Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Dua Lipa’s 'Illusion' is predicted to debut at #43 on the Hot 100

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, Natalia Kills said:

Americans have bad taste. We managed to fend off one pandemic (COVID-19) but succumbed to another one (bad taste in music).

Nowadays, Tay and Bey fart and burp their way to the #1, “give us nothing” cursive voice dominate elsewhere and any hope of a bop gets overshadowed by some sort of rap song blasphemically sampling cherished pop bops. Then there’s country and folk…

We’re not out here pretending like Beyoncé isn’t infinitely better than Dua lbr 

Ladle Ghoulash
54 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I think Dua's biggest issue is there's no personality to build a star from. Like she's literally a model and as she keeps her private life quiet (as is her right) there's like nothing of substance to relate to. She's just someone pretty who makes the occasional bop. 

Her music doesn't really emote, she herself doesn't. What's actually there for people to attach to?

This is exactly it 

• Like 1

Mocchi

I think it was to be expected. FN singles were perfection and people ate those up and I am afraid they'd have done it anyways despite the singer. I think people loved her songs but she still lacks presence, connection with the audience... I really don't see her having a huge fanbase. And when the quality of her music droped (those last 3 singles are an evidence of that to me), the magic is gone 

Edited by Mocchi
  • Like 1

BlingNotTheMusic
4 hours ago, Concertaholic said:

Illusion is literally the catchiest song out of the three singles, I wish people would give it a chance. I’ve been playing it on repeat since it came out :lolly:

Honestly this. 

I can see why Houdini and Training Season didn't chart well but Illusion I have had on repeat for DAYS, idk what the GP is smokin :ororomunroe:

But yeah the concept, visuals, and sonics are all over the place this era. I kinda wish she never said that "experimental" thing because sweet tea, just because you add a bass line to a pop song doesn't make it experimental :icant:

• YAAAS 2

freebit
37 minutes ago, AnglerfishbraBENUS said:

seeing it happen to someone else definitely puts ARTPOP into perspective. ARTPOP had much more of an uphill battle but still similar 

Dua is lucky that she's not being dragged personally through the mud, or that anyone is really noticing her flopping besides stan twitter, lol. 

StrawberryBlond
6 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

something i'm noticing is that all her songs are about lovers and its kinda boring. i know it's an incredibly common and normal pop music topic but would be nice for them to make songs that have something different to say than just always being love songs/heartbreak songs ...

also for the album being called radical optimism.... all the songs so far seem to have this scorned/skeptical attitude to them too which is odd hmmm

This is what I've been saying. While there's nothing wrong with that and there's a lot of singers who make a good living off singing about those themes, that's the whole point - it's already a saturated market. Dua's pretty and makes bops but girls like that are ten a penny. The industry is much harder on females to show talent and evolve if they want to survive. I remember when she put out FN, there was a reviewer who said that it "only scratches the surface of what she can do" but from what we've seen so far, it seems to be all she can do. If she wants to make pop, that's fine, but she needs to get out of disco pop, she's become too samey. You make a very good point about the album's name not gelling with the songs themes so far too. Though, the way things are going, no one apart from her fans seem to be aware of the album about to be released. 

4 hours ago, freebit said:

Honestly, the songs aren't that good. They don't go off like they should. 

There was a rumor from popbitch (gossipy british newsletter) a while back (circa 2022) that Dua's team were wanting songs, but only if Dua got some credit on them too, thus no one offering up their best to her, and her  getting frustrated and changing management. I thought it was bs at first, but after listening to these songs after the fire songs on Future Nostalgia...it would explain a lot, lol. 

Wow, that's crazy! So, is the suggestion that she doesn't write her own music and pays for her name to be added to the credits (or is taking that route this time, at least)? I've heard that happens but didn't know which artists are rumoured to have done it, how widespread it was and how often artists utilised it throughout an album. From what I've seen, most of these blind items turn out to be true, so is there no smoke without fire?

• Like 1

LukiiGleek

Honestly, they don't blow me away. They are great and i like them, but they are not phenomenal 

urgirl
6 hours ago, Natalia Kills said:

Americans have bad taste. We managed to fend off one pandemic (COVID-19) but succumbed to another one (bad taste in music).

Nowadays, Tay and Bey fart and burp their way to the #1, “give us nothing” cursive voice dominate elsewhere and any hope of a bop gets overshadowed by some sort of rap song blasphemically sampling cherished pop bops. Then there’s country and folk…

People trashing America for having bad taste is just hilarious to me, ik those people have 90% of their iTunes filled with songs made in USA. USA the entertainment capital of the world. 

Natalia Kills
1 hour ago, urgirl said:

People trashing America for having bad taste is just hilarious to me, ik those people have 90% of their iTunes filled with songs made in USA. USA the entertainment capital of the world. 

I’m American lol

urgirl
Just now, Natalia Kills said:

I’m American lol

laugh out loud

Whigney Houstan

The live performances this era have blown everything else she's done out of the water.  I hope she drops a full live EP/album.

Starmie25
8 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Wow, that's crazy! So, is the suggestion that she doesn't write her own music and pays for her name to be added to the credits (or is taking that route this time, a

I wouldn't be surprised if it was her. The FN tracks were all clearly different writing camps and Emily Warren was the main one behind DSN too.

Hot take: I found Duas debut had a bit more grit lyrically compared to FN, but that's just me.

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

The Fame Monster

In my opinion, her new songs are good, but they don't particularly stand out to me. They don't offer anything fresh and exciting in terms of sound for the general public.

Find your freedom in the music

Sneaky Oliver
18 hours ago, Bradley said:

Also, how original can 'dance all night' be? Her Barbie song was Dance the Night. FN is fundamentally built on the themes of dancing all night, and in Illusion, we hear once again the refrain of 'dance all night'.

At this point, is it not at all obvious to Dua's team what's wrong?

The nitpicking of it all! You guys are trying too hard to be critical towards Dua, I mean dancing is such a generic and omnipresent thing for a pop song. That would be the same for Gaga’s “I’m in love with Judas”, “I wonder if this could be love”, “It wasn’t love”, “I want your stupid love”

I’m on my Legacy Act era

• Teletubby changed the title to Dua Lipa’s 'Illusion' is predicted to debut at #43 on the Hot 100