Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Avant-pop and electronic superstar Charli XCX to receive ASCAP Global Impact Award

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

ASCAP, The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, will present pioneering pop phenomenon Charli XCX with the ASCAP Global Impact Award in honor of her tremendous impact on pop music. The prestigious award recognizes the enduring worldwide popularity of ASCAP members and their music. Charli joins a select group of acclaimed musical hitmakers who have previously received the award, including Lana Del Rey.

“Charli is an unstoppable creative force. Her avant-garde style is daring, authentic and infectious as she expertly infuses the best of the underground and mainstream worlds into her music. She’s not just shaping pop music – she’s redefining it,” said ASCAP Chairman of the Board and President Paul Williams. “We are absolutely thrilled to present her with the ASCAP Global Impact Award.”

Charli XCX is an innovative pop icon, winning critical acclaim for her forward-thinking musical style and entrepreneurial spirit.

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 8
  • Love 4

StarstruckIllusion

MOTHERRRR :giveup: 

oh it’s EXACTLY what she deservessss :nooo:

Finallyyy

Edited by StarstruckIllusion
  • YAAAS 1

ARTPOPKISS

Love that for her

But...

I would She's hardly innovative she basically just bought the sound of hyperpop / PC music to a mainstream  audience 

ppl like A.G cook, Hannah diamond , easyfun, SOPHIE have been doing stuff like hers way before she hopped on the scene

She's somewhat innovative when it comes to bringing it to a wider audience I guess

Also her stance on matty healy, the red scare podcast, the whole rina beef, rlly urk me asw 

Still love her music tho

Just some thoughts

F@ggotry at its finest
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

Love that for her

But...

I would She's hardly innovative she basically just bought the sound of hyperpop / PC music to a mainstream  audience 

ppl like A.G cook, Hannah diamond , easyfun, SOPHIE have been doing stuff like hers way before she hopped on the scene

She's somewhat innovative when it comes to bringing it to a wider audience I guess

Also her stance on matty healy, the red scare podcast, the whole rina beef, rlly urk me asw 

Still love her music tho

Just some thoughts

I def agree, but I think the way in which she is innovative is pretty much the only way that any commercially viable pop star ever is: by proxy of synthesizing sounds from more underground scenes and making them more palatable to a broader audience while still, hopefully, maintaining the integrity of its roots (all of which I think Charli has done). 

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash
  • Like 1

DopeEnigma
1 hour ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

Love that for her

But...

Still love her music tho

Just some thoughts

I disagree, she’s a great writer and knows what sounds good, she’s got a talent. Saying she bumps off producers is a bit of a weak argument, I mean, Gaga’s sound wouldn’t have been longstanding if she hadn’t worked with RedOne, Garibay and DJ Whiteshadow etc. Madonna and many other pop girls are the same but I would say Charli and Gaga know how to make it more distinctive with their own contributions and how they stylise their work. 

At least she didn’t just do a copy and paste job like most artists at that time when her career was on the verge. They both take risks and it sounds great usually. 

Edited by DopeEnigma
  • Like 1

ARTPOPKISS
6 minutes ago, DopeEnigma said:

I disagree, she’s a great writer and knows what sounds good, she’s got a talent. Saying she bumps off producers is a bit of a weak argument, I mean, Gaga’s sound wouldn’t have been longstanding if she hadn’t worked with RedOne, Garibay and DJ Whiteshadow etc. Madonna and many other pop girls are the same but I would say Charli and Gaga know how to make it more distinctive with their own contributions and how they stylise their work. 

At least she didn’t just do a copy and paste job like most artists at that time when her career was on the verge. They both take risks and it sounds great usually. 

Well I never said she bumps off producers

But she is no way an innovator while I do agree she is talented ppl have been doing exactly what she has been doing way before she has hopped on the scene

F@ggotry at its finest

DopeEnigma
10 minutes ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

But she is no way an innovator while I do agree she is talented ppl have been doing exactly what she has been doing way before she has hopped on the scene

Politely agree to disagree 

hhennywise
5 hours ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

She is an innovator in the way she blends references. She's not afraid to reference and the new thing she comes up with is so good. She goes to the root of the style, and it's never pastiche, never a lesser version or just a nod, it's well studied and well done. I love what she is putting out so much. I used to listen to her hyper pop stuff but I got bored around How I'm Feeling Now. And then she started changing around with Crash and I love how it's a blend of the root of the genre with the instrumentals that are very well done and always sound fresh but always pinpointed to an underground genre/style, and then her vocals are always similar with the vocoder and auto tune that sound good on her, part of her brand, and it's the familiar thing that puts it all together. She's not copying and pasting, she's grabbing references from the underground stuff letting us know she's doing it. For example, Used To Know Me is so good because she sampled Robin S song almost entirely, while it is one the most sampled songs in house because of the bassline timbre, but people normally change the key, and the melody of the bass, and it's very overdone in house music, but she went there and just sang on top of the song as it was, didn't change too much stuff and it sounds like a totally new song, you don't think of Show Me Love when you listen to it, I think that's genius. And the new stuff she's putting out is like dance music 101, if you study or listen to a lot of club music, you can pinpoint the drum machines and samples and genres and the references she's using. That's her thing and I think it's very innovative how she does it, she believes in it and sells it. There's no one in the mainstream pop that is doing that. It's kind of a study in a way, when you listen to her music, you can hear her purposefully digging and blending and vomiting it all.

• Like 2

Concertaholic

You mean to tell me Queen Mother Camila Cabello didn’t invent hyperpop???

GIF by Camila Cabello

• LMAO 1

elijahfan
6 hours ago, ARTPOPKISS said:

They’re literally saying she’s getting this award for the way she manages to blend the underground with the mainstream. This is how she’s being innovative. Also, nothing is ever entirely new, even PC music is a response to something that came before.

• Like 2

Juanjo

She deserves this, so much! :excited:I am so proud of Charli, and I hope she continues to get the recognition she so deserves. :applause:

• Like 2