opinion

Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter (VOTE)

Noah X

Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter

Featured Posts

NATAH

CC makes me sad that interscope felt the need to popify Joanne, i wish they would just believe in her vision more

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

VOLANTIS

The one that feels like a whole immersive and authentic experience. I love Joanne and all that it has done for Gaga but CC is just better as a whole body of work. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half
  • Like 2

Chlorine Sevigny

They're not really comparable. CC is on another level. As Beyoncé's artistry has been since 4, and she just keeps getting better, evolving, and pushing herself. It's insane. 

• YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 1

HotLikeMexico

I don’t get how either Joanne or Cowboy Carter are country. Like country elements sure but they both are more alternative than anything. 

• Like 1

HotLikeMexico
5 hours ago, pachinko said:

Joanne is easily Gaga’s worst body of work. 

ARTPOP says hi

• LMAO 1

Borislshere

No way in hell I’d choose Joanne over anything let alone Cowboy Carter 💀😭

Agunimon

I don't get these results... ain't no way people who have trashed Joanne since it was released are now suddenly here for it. Have y'all even listened to Cowboy Carter?

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

killme89

Sometimes I question if some of yall are even Gaga fans tbh no shade 

• Thanks 1

PartySick
8 hours ago, Lextyr97 said:

In my opinion CC makes Joanne look like sh*t lmaooo agreed on the AYO and Ya Ya comparison but Ya Ya is 100x better imo

8 hours ago, PMM said:

true 
tumblr_inline_mkqr6696w31qz4rgp.gif

8 hours ago, InTheCloset said:

I feel like Joanne was a bit all over the place. 'country inspired' but not exactly country. About a dead aunt but basically the songs didnt match the theme or go with the message she was trying to convey.

I dont hate it though but Cowboy Carter is good. For some reason Beyonce's production always sounds expensive and polished but not over polished.

8 hours ago, alsemanche said:

CC >>>>>>

6 hours ago, JohnnyVersace said:

CC speaks to so many things (race, love, loss, history, childhood, excess, sex) in an authentic way that Joanne failed to. Bey has always been a cowgirl, whereas Gaga put on the hat as a character almost. Joanne has its moments and I completely agree that Ya Ya is A-Yo's grown up, far superior, sister....but CC is that girl :vegas:

6 hours ago, Noah X said:

Ok, sorry. I actually listened to cowboy carter now in full instead of lil snippets from twitter :icant:

I changed my mind :icant:

Sorry joanne you will be missed

lFYHF28f0Xm8T5KO5FFRuJq3ZSxmyFCqtpc6st2W

why does beyonce always stay winning

n5jla.gif

6 hours ago, hieronymus said:

This comparison is laughable, but then again, I'm a storied Joanne hater.

Well... one of them is from someone who grew up in the south, with strong southern heritage... and the other is an "Italian" woman born and raised in NYC so let's not point poser fingers

6 hours ago, pachinko said:

Joanne is easily Gaga’s worst body of work. 

3 hours ago, VOLANTIS said:

The one that feels like a whole immersive and authentic experience. I love Joanne and all that it has done for Gaga but CC is just better as a whole body of work. 

2 hours ago, Chlorine Sevigny said:

They're not really comparable. CC is on another level. As Beyoncé's artistry has been since 4, and she just keeps getting better, evolving, and pushing herself. It's insane. 

44 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

No way in hell I’d choose Joanne over anything let alone Cowboy Carter 💀😭

Banning you all and hacking your locations to airdrop pink cowboy hats :kiss:

💚
  • LMAO 8
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

Anderson123

Obviously Joanne because I’m a Gaga fan and this has been out for almost 8 years. Can’t vote for Cowboy Carter right now when it’s been out for less than 24 hours. 

Beyoncé’s albums are always so well planned and produced and a huge project, I’ve only listened to it once from start to finish but it sounds like the monumental album that it is, just need more time with it. 

Ladle Ghoulash
7 hours ago, Future Lovers said:

When are we as a society going to stop pretending Joanne was a country album rather than a southern rock/blues rock album regardless of the cowboy hat cosplay on the cover 

When are we also going to stop pretending that CC is a country album lmao 

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Flippy
9 hours ago, Lextyr97 said:

In my opinion CC makes Joanne look like sh*t lmaooo agreed on the AYO and Ya Ya comparison but Ya Ya is 100x better imo

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by euphoria

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22

Roughhouse Dandy
3 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

wait it’s out?

YES GO LISTEN

Sidenote: wild that people are trying to say it this is a pop album. The woman gave us the roots of country, how country used to be, how country sounds now, her own version of country, and then a few songs that bend genres to highlight different southern sounds. 

Some of y'all are just reaching for reasons to drag her and aren't as sneaky as you y'all think lol 

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Sad 1

Ladle Ghoulash
18 minutes ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

YES GO LISTEN

Sidenote: wild that people are trying to say it this is a pop album. The woman gave us the roots of country, how country used to be, how country sounds now, her own version of country, and then a few songs that bend genres to highlight different southern sounds. 

Some of y'all are just reaching for reasons to drag her and aren't as sneaky as you y'all think lol 

If this is alluding to what I wrote, I just think it’s ironic that folks have a very rigid notion of what is country vs. what’s not when it comes to Joanne and yet insist that CC is, unquestionably, a country album through and through despite pulling from different genres and subgenres (and it was not intended as a read at all, I think it’s a very good album). I agree that CC is country in a very progressive sense, as you alluded to, but it also very clearly weaves in genres that are not part of the conventional country tapestry (with a different arrangement, parts of American Requiem, for example, could be a groovy Sly and the Family Stone style track). All in all, Linda Martell sums it up pretty well on Spaghetti, “Genres are a funny little concept, aren't they? In theory, they have a simple definition that's easy to understand, but in practice, well…” 

/tangent: Genre is simultaneously about intention, composition, aesthetic, musical arrangement, cultural context, and performance and so debates about genre as something strictly musical or strictly aesthetic ultimately end up being kind of equivocal and/or people end up talking past each other because no one can really agree as to which standard or element is being referred to and which they prioritize the most in determining whether something is or is not part of any given genre.

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 1