Was it?   

190 members have voted

1. 1. Joanne Album of the Millennium

• No
    • Absolutely
    • Justice for DIC

Featured Posts

Natalia Kills

I'm going to say no, though Joanne was "new" at the specific time, it's been done before. 

It also wasn't done that well and is her worst work. The album was a wobbly transition from her being the hedonistic ARTPOP Lady Gaga to real-life musician Stefani Germanotta. Sonically, it's trying to be country-lite but not actually country with bits of alt-pop and easy listening thrown in.

The album is weird because it's designed to be so authentic but it's arguably her least authentic work. I think the rural/suburban swing-republican mom vibe she was trying to put out was far from her experience as a grifting, privately-educated pop star from NYC. 

ASIB unintentionally was her most authentic work and the real marker in her career in my opinion, it actually reflected her life, relationships and the balance she's trying to find between consumer pop and art. I'd say that work and how it was done is really ahead of its time since it appealed so much to the GP but also cemented her musical recognition. 

Edited by Natalia Kills

tylerjs

kimmo: was Joanne (a notably vintage-traditional album) ahead of its time?

Dish Nation Love GIF by TV One

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point

dubstep111

I do think Beyoncé is copying Johanna era though. I mean the pic with the hat is the same lol

Leoj305
23 minutes ago, dubstep111 said:

I do think Beyoncé is copying Johanna era though. I mean the pic with the hat is the same lol

Tbh if anything outside of the album theme, trying to grab swift fans is probably part of the purpose of a country pop album. Taylor swift continues to control the middle America white girl ear

TEANUS
14 hours ago, Maxine Puth said:

Ooh southern king :ally: I’m a Carolina boy, but I love the Appalachians. 

And I LOVE the Carolina’s! My friend won a trip to Hilton head for a week from her work and was kind enough to take me!

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS
  • YAAAS 1

Mister G

Dancin in Circles feels good to be lonely as the best song off the album (John Wayne is a strong runner up). I said what I said. :billie:

I liked the attempt at a stripped back Lady Gaga where we got more of what the late and great Tony Bennett would refer to as "Lady" and everything of hers individually before (The Fame to ARTPOP) and after (Chromatica) would be more "Gaga". As a Day 1 fan of hers, I would never stand behind this album as either her best or ahead of its time. At most, it served a different purpose which was to show that behind the glitz and glam, the vocals and talent speak for themselves. It was very important and had to happen because I think people had a hard time grasping that when you remove the costumes and wigs, she can sing her ass off. 

If anything, it's still a pop heavy album because it's mainly country and indie infused pop to a degree. 

Maxine Puth
6 hours ago, TEANUS said:

And I LOVE the Carolina’s! My friend won a trip to Hilton head for a week from her work and was kind enough to take me!

I’m in the north east right now and it’s crazy how many people I know mention vacationing in Myrtle Beach, like that was basically my home :traumatica: I need to visit again, it’s been a while and Lana’s new album was a sign

• YAAAS 1