Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Great Gaga songs with underwhelming studio versions

Maxine Puth

Featured Posts

Maxine Puth

What are great gaga songs (lyrics, melody) that are brought down by the studio version of the song? I’m going to avoid Chromatica in my top 3, because I’m sure someone else will say those songs anyway

the rock eyebrow GIF

#3: Americano 

Honestly such a good song, does anyone remember the acoustic version when she debuted it? While the studio version fits the album’s hecticness, I think the song itself would’ve benefited from a stripped back production, with a piano and Spanish guitar. What do you guys think? Also, the jazz version is amazing too. 

#2: Sinner’s Prayer

Another song that was debuted in a much different light. The Dive Bar version was dark, funky, and very Gaga. Meanwhile the studio version… is kinda comical :traumatica: I still listen to it from time to time, but it almost seems like a parody which sucks because it’s really cool and different from most Gaga songs due to the story telling and that awesome guitar riff. 

#1: Joanne

This one might get some people mad, but I have to be honest, the studio version is not it. The production just sounds too clean, and her vocals just seem off to me. Meanwhile this live version really strips it down, and her vocal are amazing. I think I’d prefer a version like this to the original.  

• Like 2

Pennywise
4 minutes ago, Maxine Puth said:

Honestly such a good song, does anyone remember the acoustic version when she debuted it? While the studio version fits the album’s hecticness, I think the song itself would’ve benefited from a stripped back production, with a piano and Spanish guitar. What do you guys think? Also, the jazz version is amazing too. 

The BBC concert thing version of this is one of my favorite things Gaga ever did tbh 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Maxine Puth
1 minute ago, Pennywise said:

The BBC concert thing version of this is one of my favorite things Gaga ever did tbh 

It should be added to her Jazz and Piano show

Fashion Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

When the Latin beat kicks in, you know they are gonna **** **** up

season 11 episode 6 GIF by So You Think You Can Dance

Edited by Maxine Puth
  • YAAAS 1

homomo

Sex Dreams

The Swine Fest version is so ethereal and remorseful. Wish that was on the studio version.

• Like 7
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Ladle Ghoulash

Tbh I always kinda miss the live band on a lot of the studio versions 

• Like 4

allanrocks

Honestly, almost everything from ARTPOP. Wish we really had live versions on Spotify.

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 1

Lucas

Some songs from ARTPOP. Manicure, Sex Dreams and ARTPOP were so great at the Swinefest when she debuted the songs. The studio versions are so bad.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

Oriane

I still don't understand what people like so much about the Swinefest versions, except for Swine which is completely different with the live instruments.

A lot of her studio songs seem underwhelming when you compare them to later live performances, because the live band and her adlibs make it more interesting. I agree on OP's songs except for Joanne, the studio version has more layers, makes it more than a simple ballad.

I will add Gypsy and 1000 doves. The production completely ruined them, it killed the emotion and her vocals.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
  • Thanks 2

TimotheeChalamet

Swine. The studio chorus is too robotic 

• Like 4

Rifek

Free Woman. The melody is so basic and lacks the energy that the lyrics are giving.

This is sad since we all heard the superior ones (demo and DOC remix)

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 4

Borislshere

I don’t think there’s a single studio version I prefer over her live versions. Gaga’s music is at its best when it’s accompanied by raw vocals and live instruments. 

• Like 1

Emigrante
13 hours ago, Maxine Puth said:

What are great gaga songs (lyrics, melody) that are brought down by the studio version of the song? I’m going to avoid Chromatica in my top 3, because I’m sure someone else will say those songs anyway

the rock eyebrow GIF

#2: Sinner’s Prayer

Another song that was debuted in a much different light. The Dive Bar version was dark, funky, and very Gaga. Meanwhile the studio version… is kinda comical :traumatica: I still listen to it from time to time, but it almost seems like a parody which sucks because it’s really cool and different from most Gaga songs due to the story telling and that awesome guitar riff. 

#1: Joanne

This one might get some people mad, but I have to be honest, the studio version is not it. The production just sounds too clean, and her vocals just seem off to me. Meanwhile this live version really strips it down, and her vocal are amazing. I think I’d prefer a version like this to the original.  

Oh no. I really don’t enjoy how slowed down Joanne live version is. Especially talking about the guitar, cause it doesn’t feel right to me, comparing to the studio one.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.
  • Thanks 1

Didymus

Good choices in the OP :applause:

I would also add Shallow tbh. That production and mix is piss poor, especially when you compare it to the trailer. I am so confused Gaga always chooses these weirdly demo-ish mixes on her soft rock songs. They make her sound so 2D and the band as well. And don't get me started on those annoying crowd effects.

Til it Happens to You is probably the worst offender in the strangely bad mix department. It sounds like a cardboard LQ CD rip, and what a shame 'cause that song is GOOD. The instruments have no warmth, her voice is completely trapped. Like... why?

Edited by Didymus
  • Like 1

Lucas
4 hours ago, Oriane said:

I still don't understand what people like so much about the Swinefest versions, except for Swine which is completely different with the live instruments.

Imo it's because we fell in love with the first versions so any difference on the studio versions was a big "nope" for our brains. This and I think the live versions at Swinefest had her raw vocals full of passion while on the studio versions her vocals are very edited to the point she sounds robotic to me