💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why do breakout stars never last no more?

waterfall

Featured Posts

waterfall

I feel like during these days because of tiktok, its all just luck. Sometimes its nice tho to see some throwbacks back on the charts or some newer artists gaining recognition. But i always wonder tho why this hype never usually lasts to the next era. Like in the 2010s so many artists like rihanna, gaga, taylor, jb, ariana, the weeknd, etc were able to gain a strong fanbase and able to produce hits 10+ years in their career. all the gossip, some award show stuff, it was so fresh ig back then maybe. these days i feel like its a rarity. like sure someone might get that their moment but most of the time the labels dont capitalize and make sure the artist gains a fandom. of course there are exceptions tho like billie, olivia, dua (im not sure whether to include her but i think she def fits in more with the newer girls than the older ones), doja, and maybe some kpop groups. no male breakout stars i can think of tbh. 

i was looking at the spotify global charts today and barely knew few. and the ones ik, i heard the songs but never got interested to know more about the artist. i saw some throwbacks tho like murder on the dancefloor, unwritten, starboy, yellow, and riptide. also lmao as it was still in top 50 like howww. anyways whats yalls take on this topic. 

homomo

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I love this. Songs are more famous these days, not artists.

As someone who listens to songs over artists, it has very much expanded my reach and tastes over the years.

• Like 2

Ceres

a badly researched opinion:

Artists were "found" by labels and spent time developing their sound and what will make them unique. 
There was a chunk of time dedicating to creating this star and making sure the ALBUM was going to sell well.

I think now in the era of streaming its easier to find many willing singers online and start throwing everything at the wall until one single makes it big. The problem is that its more difficult ad time consuming to further develop that single into a full album of work vs. finding someone new that can get them another quick hit on streaming platforms.

✧ ✧ ✧
  • Like 1

Pablo

Beyoncé talked about this in 2013 and I think the issue has snowballed even more with tiktok

Don't visit my profile
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Controversiaga

Talent lasts

fads die

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

Reject False Icons

I want an answer too but this topic is so complex :saladga:

I have a theory that labels are much greedier so “subversive” artists are much smarter remaining independent and industry plants get the bigger deals and the gap from both types of singers gets more evident now

and subversive artists cause a bigger impact in the long run plus they don’t run out of things to say so quickly 

KindnessPunk

Hmm I think the modernization of media has changed the priorities of up and coming artists. I feel like before TikTok, before social media in general, and even before the internet really took off, artists only had a handful of platforms to be seen (if they were interested in mainstream success, that is) you had things like TRL, the VMAs, performing on talk shows, or promoting on radio. And i think that very small vacuum made it very competitive, so that created a hunger and need to strive to be the best and be unique. And I think because of that, only the artists that were willing to go all the way gained lasting success, because they had that drive from the get-go. 

I don’t mean to say newer artists don’t have that drive, but perhaps they don’t really need to? With how the way we consume music has evolved, there’s so many ways to reach an audience, I feel like this has created a “chill” ambience in the music landscape where you can just be a musician, and you have many ways of getting your material out there. Even something like that Spotify playlist makes it so that new songs/artists are constantly being cycled through. Its probably harder now than it was back then to really become a star, because now you not only need catchy music but you have be able to create a conversation, you have to be able to create pop culture, to be likeable and interesting enough to have “stans”, and be “shareable” on social media, and have consistency in how popular your music is, how many times you appear on screen, etc etc. 

so in short to answer your question, i think the reason breakout stars don’t last is because a) its extremely hard to do so these days and b) they might not even be that interested in “lasting” per se and are more content with reaching an audience which music platforms make seemingly more doable to accomplish in modern times.

disclaimer: these are just my thoughts, I’m not a musician or involved in the music industry in any way so these are just my observations 

Edited by KindnessPunk
  • Love 1

androiduser

Some musicians / performers just don't have the interesting personality, charisma or the right look, so labels don't invest in them.

Obobo

It's the attention economy (a real term). 

Think of your attention like a bucket of water. Years ago we could pour it into a couple of cups. Now we're pouring it into 1000 shot glasses and downing them quickly to get to the next glass.

It used to only be radio and sales. This put all the power into the record labels and their selection of artists. Now we have music on demand via streaming with every artist in the world trying to grab our attention with their own marketing without the need for a record label. Put that alongside, movies, tv shows, celebrity gossip, podcasts, influencers, games, tiktok trends, youtube and more...all accessible on demand on our phones.

We don't have the attention left to develop a deep enough parasocial relationship with artists. Before you even get a chance there's another trend even outside of music grabbing your attention away.

• Like 1

HelloHangoverz

I think this is the first generation of artists really that grew up with the internet and are now breaking on the internet. I think music and success is still there it's just in an unrecognizable format. Labels are content with music existing entirely online nowadays and they don't push for irl recognition from the general public. I mean imagine Charlie XCX going on Good Morning America to explain her new record? :cryga:

Edited by HelloHangoverz
bottoms up....and the devil laughs