Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
book

Has anyone read A Little Life?

Thomas P

Featured Posts

Thomas P

I just ordered the Hanya Yanagihara novel, A Little Life and am both dreading and really looking forward to reading it. 

I’ve both read and watched a lot of reviews hailing it as a modern literary masterpiece, but one that is going to absolutely destroy my emotional state. I love when a book does that, but apparently this one is something else entirely.

I was wondering if any of you have read it and can attest this take?

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

NashvilleGAGA

It’s been catching my attention through the algorithm, it’s next on my list once I finish the current book

qoqo

It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read but I can’t whole heartedly recommend it to anyone I love because I don’t want them to suffer 

• Like 1

MonSwiftAnton

It is incredible. The first 100 pages takes some time to get through but after that... girl

• Like 1

Daenerys

Be prepared to go through an experience. 
The book doesn’t have a warning so I’m letting you know now. 

Trigger Warnings: Glorification of self harm, SA and Suicide. 

please tread lightly and stop reading when you get too overwhelmed. 

Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen
  • Like 1

Edonis

I read it a few years ago and it made me think something was wrong with me because I wasn't the biggest fan of it lol. But is is pretty intense, so just keep that in mind. 

• Like 1

Borisapillar

This book is absolutely ridiculous torture p*rn. Why a woman felt the need to humiliate and destroy these vaguely queer men for 800 pages is beyond me. Each horror was more ridiculous than the next. An instant camp classic. I was laughing hysterically by the end. This is soap opera trash but quite an entertaining read.

Edonis
Just now, Borisapillar said:

This book is absolutely ridiculous torture p*rn. Why a woman felt the need to humiliate and destroy these vaguely queer men for 800 pages is beyond me. Each horror was more ridiculous than the next. An instant camp classic. I was laughing hysterically by the end. This is soap opera trash but quite an entertaining read.

I kind of felt the same lol. There are actually a lot of reasons why this book didn't do it for me, but the torture **** aspect of it was the biggest factor. Also, the depiction of queer men in this was so regressive; it felt like late 60s early 70s caricatures rife with overdone stereotypes that straight people think queer men experience. I was exhausted by the time I finished it.   

• Thanks 1

Borisapillar
21 minutes ago, Edonis said:

I kind of felt the same lol. There are actually a lot of reasons why this book didn't do it for me, but the torture **** aspect of it was the biggest factor. Also, the depiction of queer men in this was so regressive; it felt like late 60s early 70s caricatures rife with overdone stereotypes that straight people think queer men experience. I was exhausted by the time I finished it.   

It is truly hilariously absurd. I'm also weirded out by why people think this is "the best book they've ever read." Like, how much do you read? Why were you so into a book that is so violently disgusting? Do you enjoy reading about queer men getting endlessly r*ped and tortured? I'm like :oprah::max::partysick: For whatever reason this book inspires a lot of discussion so for that reason I wanted to read it so I could know what everyone was talking about. 

I also didn't understand how all the guys were "kind of" queer but not really. It was clear this was NOT written by a gay man. The only guy of the four main friends who is "actually" gay is totally abhorrent and rude and abusive. It was so strange.

• Thanks 1

clementine

I’m reading it sporadically right now. I’m at a part where I just had to put it away because it made me cry too much. I really spiraled into a depression around this part (maybe about a third of the way in). I think there is just not a trigger warning that would suffice for this book. 

Can I... borrow a piece of your chicken?

Thomas P

An update for any of those who commented:

I just finished the Axiom of Equality and can officially name this as my favourite book. I’ve never cried this hard and been so unbelievably attached to a character in my entire life. Like genuinely I’m obsessed with this book, 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.