šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

The Boy and the Heron Discussion Thread

Edonis

Featured Posts

Edonis

With the film officially out in the US, I wanted to open a thread to discuss the movie in more detail. Simply put: it's A LOT going on. What were your thoughts if you've seen it already?Ā 

Trailer below:

Ā 

Edited by Edonis
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Edonis

As expected, I think this is Miyazaki's least accessible film everĀ :laughga:Ā which would explain the polarizing early reviews/audience reaction. It is now critically one of the highest rated animated films of all time, but I think a lot of that had to do with critics getting a chance to really sit with the film and explore the themes in more detail. It's rife with surrealism and symbolism, but also heavily influenced by real-life events Miyazaki experienced as a kid and adult. Controversially, I think the lack of promotional marketing harmed this film - to fully get itĀ you have to have some background.Ā 

Edited by Edonis

RAMROD

It is amazing. Especially anyone who ever gone through grievances. A story about letting go and dealing with loss.Ā 
Ā 

Love how they depicted afterlife.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

(ļ¾‰ā—•ćƒ®ā—•)ļ¾‰āœ§*:ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ā“č‰øļ½€*) ā™”ā™”ā™”
  • Love 1

• Edonis changed the title to The Boy and the Heron Discussion Thread
Edonis
3 minutes ago, Borisapillar said:

I didn't care for it, unfortunately.

It certainly is polarizing! I really do think public perception is going to be split with some loving it and others not so much.Ā 

So to people that watched it are we talking spirited away fantasy escapism or the wind rises like a personal story type of thing?Ā 

Edonis
38 minutes ago, Karl said:

So to people that watched it are we talking spirited away fantasy escapism or the wind rises like a personal story type of thing?Ā 

A bit of both lol. Starts out grounded in reality and then turns into a full-on fantasy in the last two-thirds of the film. Thematically, it's semi-autobiographical and probably Miyazaki's most personal, but I don't want to spoil too much.Ā 

Edited by Edonis
  • Like 1