music news

Dua Lipa's Houdini debuts at #11, falls 22 spots on its 2nd week on the Hot 100

Teletubby

Featured Posts

for a solo comeback on the back of a soundtrack of barbie, with some real promotion it's a bit of a underperformance for her. I got all sort of dua lipa notifications lol.

it's a cool song, the instrumental is fresh, the lyrics not so much, the melody unimpressive but i like it as an opener for the era. Dont see it being accepted by the mainstream, the hook just isn't that universal, and the song doesnt offer mostly anything else. Also her voice is too poppy to recognize her usual sultry voice, it's too clean and computer like.

• Like 2

CHIPCHROME
16 hours ago, steven said:

It's too soon to tell if it's a flop or not, but it's definitely underwhelming. 

No it’s not, it’s a fat flop.

MelbHawker

I like the song, it’s cute / funky BUT it’s not the serve she or her team thinks it is. I hope it’s a grower and that it ends up smashing for ha though.

• Like 2

27monster27

Friendly reminder that even after all of her success she's still a UK artist so that chart is more important than the hot 100.

he/him/his
  • Like 1

Versace

Didn’t most of you try to convince me that FN was a groundbreaking pop album that reshaped pop culture? If so why can’t she even get a top 10 debut coming from FN and the success of DTN? 

I’m not trying to come for her but instead shed light to some that maybe FN or Dua aren’t as big as you may think they are. Not saying not successful but she is yet to reach the peaks of people like Madonna, Gaga, Taylor, etc. Because I swear some of you talk her up so much. 

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

Versace
43 minutes ago, 27monster27 said:

Friendly reminder that even after all of her success she's still a UK artist so that chart is more important than the hot 100.

Adele. Harry Styles. Ed Sheeran. Do I have to continue?

Dua is not a local artist, she’s had hits on the Hot 100. Houdini is just not resonating as expected with the US. 

Also feels like rn the pop song everyone is listening to is Greedy by Tate McRae, that song is excellent imo. It just got to #8 on the Hot100 and if her team keeps pushing it I suspect #1 is possible. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Versace said:

Didn’t most of you try to convince me that FN was a groundbreaking pop album that reshaped pop culture? If so why can’t she even get a top 10 debut coming from FN and the success of DTN? 

I’m not trying to come for her but instead shed light to some that maybe FN or Dua aren’t as big as you may think they are. Not saying not successful but she is yet to reach the peaks of people like Madonna, Gaga, Taylor, etc. Because I swear some of you talk her up so much. 

In current era, streaming is everything. And Dua is one of me most streamed artists out there. Her streams are more impressive than of Gaga's or Madonna's, or even Beyonce's. 

So FN then is certainly one of the biggest/most impactful albums of last 5 years. 

Edited by nkta

Ladle Ghoulash
11 hours ago, AnglerfishbraBENUS said:

actually yes. it’s kind of a dance track 

In what way, though? The top line melody is very pop and the groove is heavily influenced by funk/disco, which are both pretty mainstream genres. The aesthetic is *slightly* psychedelic, but nowhere near enough to validate fans claiming it’s ’psychedelic pop.’ IMO, it’s no more psychedelic than, let’s say, ABBA. 

Ladle Ghoulash
39 minutes ago, Versace said:

FN smashed, but not Dua Lipa, I fear :enigma:

King of the Fall
4 hours ago, Killa said:

for a solo comeback on the back of a soundtrack of barbie, with some real promotion it's a bit of a underperformance for her. 

What promotion? she has done no performances and no major appearances, teasing a track on your social media is not "real promotion" they are clearly saving all that for after the holidays. The fact that some of you are saying that this song is underperforming in the US is hilarious to me because it has had better streaming numbers and debut position on the charts than Don't Start Now. Dance the Night was not an instant smash either, when will people learn their lesson when it comes to Dua? everytime she drops everyone screams that it is underperforming only to eat crow in the end like always😂

Edited by 4th Street
He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite

• Teletubby changed the title to Dua Lipa's Houdini debuts at #11, falls 22 spots on its 2nd week on the Hot 100