Cruelty

Featured Posts

Cello
2 minutes ago, Cruelty said:

Elim6.png

THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL – average 9.08
The highs: 11 x 1 [@phantasmas]
The lows: 6 [@Ziggy Stardust]

Okay, “The Way You Make Me Feel” is just so much fun! In general, Bad is Michael Jackson’s most playful album (from the Disney-soundtracking “Another Part of Me” to the camp theatricality of “Smooth Criminal”), and the record’s third chart-topper slots into the mix perfectly. A bluesy, bouncy pop song with a rollicking 12/8 feel, the arrangement uses peppy horns and a loping drumbeat to really convey the exuberance of the lyrics, as MJ sings about the joy of falling in love.

I think “The Way You Make Me Feel” was the single campaign where they finally got MJ’s image just perfect. It’s the young, fun, flirty, popstar image, essentially an 80s update of the Off the Wall formula, and it’s massively more convincing than the lothario image of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” or the edgy streetwise vibes of the title track.

The song’s bouncy call-and-response chorus is perfect for engaging a live audience, and indeed “The Way You Make Me Feel” was performed on all of Jackson’s concert tours and at the 1988 Grammy Awards. One of his all-time best, the track lands at number 6 in our countdown.

Comments:

Voter 2 I just love the groove of this song. I’m giving so many 10s but how can you not? It’s MJ. Love the performances of this song
@PartySick I guess I’m just depositing trivia here. This song was actually formed out of a Thriller era track called “Hot Fever”, maybe that explains why it’s such a groove.

UDtQ.gif

Another robbery! 

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top5.png

Gagadaily, here is your Michael Jackson Top 5! Who are you rooting for? And who do you think we’re losing next?

(Disclaimer: whatever @Cello picks as the winner WILL probably end up being the next elimination :deadbanana:)

Juanlittlem
6 minutes ago, Cello said:

If Thriller wins, istg this was skewed by 

EkicbG-X0AEQlSa?format=jpg&name=large

Its just Bad Romance winning every Gaga mega but with Michael

Dejare de quererte cuando un pintor sordo pinte el sonido de un pétalo al caer en el suelo de cristal de un castillo que no existe.

Juanlittlem

Rooting for Smooth Criminal

Dejare de quererte cuando un pintor sordo pinte el sonido de un pétalo al caer en el suelo de cristal de un castillo que no existe.

Elim5.png

THRILLER – average 9.20
The highs: 11 x 1 [@Werewolves Wanted]
The lows: 6 [@EdX]

Well, “Thriller”’s clearly amazing, isn’t it? A robust slice of novelty Halloween funk intended as something to frighten the kids, “Thriller” was composed by legendary songwriter Rod Temperton, who wanted to write something to suite Jackson’s love of film: “I wanted it to build and build – a bit like stretching an elastic band throughout the tune to heighten suspense”. The result is so 80s but in the best way, showcasing all the coolest synthesizers of the time and exploding into euphoric disco choruses.

The rap section, performed by veteran horror actor Vincent Price over a thumping, croaking bassline, remains an iconic piece of pop culture, as does the incredibly influential 14-minute music video—Jackson’s best—which sees the singer dancing with a horde of zombies through the streets of Los Angeles. Rewarded with three VMAs, the piece was also the first music video ever inducted into the National Film Registry. “Thriller” also received some fantastic live performances – bonus points for anyone who can work out how the Griller illusion works in the video below! The title track to the best-selling studio album ever created, “Thriller” earns a respectable place in the rate, opening up your top 5.

Comments:

Voter 2 Iconic song, sometimes the cheesiness gets to me but the video is one of faves of all time and I love the baseline of the song
@Blackout19 Iconic song, iconic music video.
@PartySick His most iconic choreography and the song that cemented October as “MJ Month” every year. I love how this song rockets into the top 40 without fail, sometimes even making it to the top 10.
@Jeroen Bloeming One of his most iconic songs that everyone knows. Not his best ‘scary’ song though 👀
@Werewolves Wanted One of my favorite songs ever. It’s flirty, it’s sexy, it’s horror themed.

Elim4.png

BLACK OR WHITE – average 9.32
The highs: 11 x 1 [@dimitristhe]
The lows: 6 [@Ziggy Stardust]

When it came along in 1991, “Black or White” was something of a revolution. The media-savvy Michael Jackson capitalised on years of media speculation about his skin colour, which had lightened considerably since the release of Bad in 1987, and used this gossip to fuel a song not so much about racial harmony, more about simply how skin colour is often irrelevant. The sermon is backed by anthemic pop-rock with bright guitars, Bill Bottrell’s clever production feeling effortless.

The stats don’t lie on this one. “Black or White” topped the US charts for seven weeks and is now certified 3x Platinum there. The song hit number one in 20 countries, and was the best-selling single of 1992 worldwide. Its electrifying music video, co-starring Home Alone’s Macaulay Culkin, premiered to a record-breaking audience of 500 million viewers, and saw the use of pioneering CGI to morph various faces together. “Black or White” was a monster of a pop hit, and this perennial concert crowd-pleaser lands in a triumphant fourth place.

Comments:

Voter 2 I hate that the chorus/hook is so like downplayed or short almost? Kind of like Say Something by Kylie Minogue
@PartySick Love the energy in this song and the absolute chaos Macaulay and MJ got up to behind the scenes is some of my favorite MJ footage out there. I’m glad they were friends.
@dimitristhe Maybe his best single and video. I always change my mind about this topic, but this song never fails to amaze me. Such a feel good rhythm, but with amazing lyrics.

Cello

OK the top 3 is serving taste. Shook because MITM was royally robbed in my megarate 

Elim3.png

BILLIE JEAN – average 9.52
The highs: 11 x 3 [Voter 3 Voter 6 @M i K E Y]
The lows: 7 x 2 [@Little Monstera @Jeroen Bloeming]

There’s very little to say about “Billie Jean” that hasn’t already been said. It’s obviously an extraordinarily accomplished piece of songwriting, kicking off with tight drums and an urgent bassline, above which float layers of staccato strings and sombre horns, with Jackson’s haunted, tortured vocal the crowning glory. The plaintive, paranoid lyric is based on Jackson’s receiving letters from an obsessed fan who claimed to be the mother of his child. Notably, the song was mixed 91 times before legendary engineer Bruce Swedien decided to use his second mix.

The “Billie Jean” single campaign is the definition of iconic, and its influence is still felt everywhere in modern pop music and pop culture. Key components include the moonwalk dance move, first performed at the 1983 Motown 25 anniversary special; the black sequined jacket (originally raided from his mother’s closet); the single white glove; and the career-defining short film, which helped establish music videos as an integral part of music marketing.

“Billie Jean” is objectively, undeniably, one of the best songs ever created, and certainly one of the greatest vocal performances in pop music. It finishes the rate as your third favourite Michael Jackson hit, and now two songs from the Bad album fight for their place as your winner!

Comments:

Voter 2 Obvi you have to give this a 10. Immaculate production and melodies
@PartySick The greatest pop song of all time. No contest.
@M i K E Y This record could’ve dropped yesterday.

Top2.png

Gagadaily, here is your Michael Jackson Top 2! There is genuinely only one point in it between the top 2 – who do you think is taking the crown?

Cello
4 minutes ago, Cruelty said:

Billie Jean” is objectively, undeniably, one of the best songs ever created, and certainly one of the greatest vocal performances in pop music.

Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

Cello
1 minute ago, Cruelty said:

Top2.png

Gagadaily, here is your Michael Jackson Top 2! There is genuinely only one point in it between the top 2 – who do you think is taking the crown?

I love them both but I think Smooth Criminal will snatch it

Archived