event

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 in Malmö, Sweden

Dutch

Featured Posts

Juanlittlem
9 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Ngl I didn’t listen to the Azerbaijani song once. :ororomunroe:

Same

Locked in a basement again?! / I ❤️ Teletubby.
  • YAAAS 1

Dutch
14 minutes ago, Juanlittlem said:

Same

I wish people did Israel the same way as them, because that would’ve been the better boycot. 

Dutch
Posted (edited)

14:10 CEST: Rehearsal 5: 🇦🇿 Azerbaijan - FAHREE feat. Ilkin Dovlatov - Özünlə Apar

Time for Azerbaijan, with FAHREE performing a huge ballad sung in English and Azerbaijani. It has some lovely orchestral strings that fill the arena - additional Mugham vocals are provided by Ilkin Dovlatov, and the whole thing comes together to create a mix of traditional Azeri sounds with a really contemporary edge.

FAHREE’s outfit is black and silver and gives off an armoured vibe, and Ilkin is in black with sparkly sleeves. For most of the song FAHREE is alone in the centre of the stage, backed my monochrome graphics that show an animated figure slowly emerging from water. In the second half two huge cupped hands appear on the stage so FAHREE can sing the final verse and chorus standing between them.

This is a really difficult performance to describe in words, because it’s less about the individual staging elements and more about the powerful atmosphere they create together – a combination of shadowy lighting, graphics, contrasting vocals and FAHREE’s expressive body movements.

GMQOiKPWsAAEXGO?format=jpg&name=large

rehearsals-day-2-live-blog-v0-r5z179yrz7

Edited by Dutch

Dutch
Posted (edited)

14:50 CEST: Rehearsal 6: 🇦🇺 Australia - Electric Fields - One Milkali (one blood)

Time for Australia’s Electric Fields - fans may remember them from Australia Decides in 2019, when they were runners up to Kate Miller-Heidke and her wobbly pole.

The mathematics enthusiasts amongst you will know that the reference to ‘0.618’ is a Fibonacci sequence thing - hence ‘I stand in the eye of the spiral’. Sincere thanks to Electric Fields for bringing the golden ratio to Eurovision, it was long overdue. Art class yesterday, mathematics today.

Zaachariaha Fielding’s fabulous white dress captures the arena light and transforms into a rainbow at the start, and then this whole performance builds into an uplifting cosmic explosion of light and colour across both the LED wall and the floor and...THE CUBES. Zaachariaha is supported by Michael Ross on keyboards, two backing singers, and of course the didgeridoo.

There’s a lot of movement around the stage, which makes it feel like it’s a performance that aims to welcome in every corner of the arena – just pure joy from start to finish, and we’re delighted to add Yankunytjatjara, an Aboriginal language, to the Eurovision canon. Photos coming soon!

Also for anyone interested - we checked Zaachariaha's preferred pronouns, and either he/him or she/her is fine. So we're going with he/him, but you may see she/her elsewhere.

GMQZVcpX0AASU1d?format=jpg&name=large

rehearsals-day-2-live-blog-v0-njl758zp58

Edited by Dutch

Dutch

Australia is such a highlight in this second half of the first semi-final. Sailing through if you ask me.

Dutch
Posted (edited)

1530 CEST: Rehearsal 7: 🇵🇹 Portugal - iolanda - Grito

Next up in the running order will be Sweden, but as the host nation they won’t be rehearsing until Thursday. Instead it’s time for Portuguese singer/songwriter iolanda, rehearsing her song Grito.

The title translates as ‘Shout’, but there’s nothing shouty about this melodic ballad. It’s a fusion of pop and R ‘n’ B with traditional Portuguese Fado roots, and iolanda’s vocals seem to fill every corner of the arena, from the haunting acapella opening to the huge note at the end. It's a song that really builds over the three minutes, and even though it's a ballad, it still has a underlying bass that vibrates through the floor. A song you feel through your feet and into your chest.

The staging is similar to iolanda’s win at Festival da Canção, with five white-clad dancers with covered faces performing a contemporary dance routine. They’ve also lowered the middle cube, which makes the space feel more intimate and adds to the artistry. Creative and hypnotic - we'll post some photos soon.

Note to self: investigate how delegations keep white outfits clean. Do they have spares? Are there express dry cleaning facilities in the Malmö arena? Will find out.

rehearsals-day-2-live-blog-v0-v0x2er9re8

GMQkHwvWkAAhFRp?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Dutch

Dutch
Posted (edited)

16:10 CEST: Rehearsal 8: 🇱🇺 Luxembourg - TALI - Fighter

Finally for today, it’s Luxembourg! After winning Eurovision five times, they took a 31-year break, but we’re delighted to welcome them back to the contest in 2024. They are represented by TALI, who will be closing the first Semi-Final on 7th May - as well as being a singer, she’s also a vocal coach and theatre performer, so she’s no stranger to a big stage.

Fighter (not to be confused with Georgia’s Firefighter, which is Tuesday) is a really catchy pop number sung in a mix of French and English.

Staging-wise, we have BONUS CUBES on stage, providing a frame for TALI and her five dancers. She’s in a black bodysuit, and all her dancers are in different red outfits. Also like how their performance rotates to perform to each side of the audience - it really works with this stage configuration.

Also PYRO UPDATE - smoke, flames AND fireworks. Sparkly, fun and energetic – a great way to wrap up the first Semi. Bon retour parmi nous, Luxembourg. We’ve missed you.

rehearsals-day-2-live-blog-v0-z2uwnss1l8

GMQtZJ5WMAAz9z3?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Dutch

Juanlittlem
1 minute ago, Dutch said:

Honestly hope Portugal can make it.

I think she might, even if its at 10th, this is the weak semi so I feel she has options

• YAAAS 1

Juanlittlem

Has anyone seen the Nemo vlogs? Theyre travelling to Sweden by asking people to give them a ride :ladyhaha:

Dutch

Tomorrow we’ll see rehearsals from Malta, Albania, Greece, Switzerland, Czechia, Austria, Denmark and Armenia. Where we will finally see of Switzerland can live up to the hype. 

SwissMonster
9 hours ago, Juanlittlem said:

Has anyone seen the Nemo vlogs? Theyre travelling to Sweden by asking people to give them a ride :ladyhaha:

Nnnn yes! He actually is a big supporter of fridays for future in Switzerland so that makes sense. I still imagine it to be exhausting tho :messga:

SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999
  • Love 1

SwissMonster
6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Tomorrow we’ll see rehearsals from Malta, Albania, Greece, Switzerland, Czechia, Austria, Denmark and Armenia. Where we will finally see of Switzerland can live up to the hype. 

I’m so nervous about the staging. Them keeping it a big secret is a sign that it will be something special, which can go in both directions :messga:

SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999
  • YAAAS 1

darkgaga
7 hours ago, Dutch said:

Finally some I am exited to see in Switzerland and Austria. Also very curious what Tuesday will bring with Georgia and the Netherlands

• PartySick locked this topic
  • River unpinned this topic