MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
politics

How denying Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia's Schengen bid will weaken the EU

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

GettyImages-1243612313-scaled.jpg

The European Commission and the European Parliament have both given their approval to admit Romania, Bulgaria and Croatia into the Schengen Agreement - yet, Sweden, Austria and the Netherlands have signaled their dissent.

For its part, Romania has been compliant with the Schengen acquis for several years now, implementing all the latest technology regarding border control security (the costs of which have ultimately been paid by the Romanian people).

As a frontline NATO country, strategically positioned near Ukraine and Russia, Romania’s contributions to aiding Ukraine’s resistance shouldn’t be overlooked either. The country has proven itself an invaluable partner for the EU, NATO in battling Russia’s hybrid warfare and moving aid to Ukraine.

Yet, all of this seems to be forgotten in some EU capitals. Dutch Prime Minister casted doubt on accepting the country’s entry into Schengen on the grounds of security and justice.

However, in the context of the rampant organized crime taking place in the Netherlands, and the country’s ongoing struggle to contain gang-related killings — including that of investigative journalist Peter de Vries in Amsterdam broad daylight — his stance is coming across as hypocritical. 

Meanwhile, Austria’s record on rule of law and corruption has also been less than stellar, with the country’s prime ministers toppled by scandals and Russian money laundering.

And though it’s important to note that some issues at ports and land crossings do remain, these are incomparable to the grave lapses currently seen in major ports like Hamburg, Antwerp and Rotterdam in terms of the volume of contraband allowed through — including dangerous drugs like heroin and cocaine.

Not admitting these countries based on flimsy excuses, and despite the loyalty and reliability they’ve demonstrated against Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, would be a strategic mistake that could send euroskepticism flaring across Europe’s sensitive east.

Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/denying-romania-bulgaria-and-croatias-schengen-bid-will-weaken-the-eu/

• Like 6
  • LMAO 2
2 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

However, in the context of the rampant organized crime taking place in the Netherlands, and the country’s ongoing struggle to contain gang-related killings — including that of investigative journalist Peter de Vries in Amsterdam broad daylight — his stance is coming across as hypocritical. 

That's some very hot tea your spjilling here!!!

Im from The Netherlands and it's completely true, we're the biggest drug hub and producer in Europe, it's a very sad thing since the government is unable to protect people who are speaking up against the drugs cartels. 

• Like 5
FfFfFfFF

In short, Western hypocrisy and some EU countries's constant desire to treat Eastern Europeans as second class citizens might cause anti-EU sentiment in countries like Romania and Bulgaria and play right into Putin's hand.

3 countries that currently face their own problems denied entry to countries that put a lot of effort into reforming and which have met the criteria to join Schengen according to EU's own institutions on dubious grounds, clearly this won't be received well.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 3

Probably it’s this marginalisation of Eastern Europe that makes this allowed these countries to be in russias grasp in the first place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
FfFfFfFF
23 minutes ago, Ivannn said:

Croatia is not being vetoed.

This makes it even worse as Romania and Bulgaria are in the EU since 2007 and keep getting postponed since late 2010s.

FfFfFfFF
43 minutes ago, Killa said:

Probably it’s this marginalisation of Eastern Europe that makes this allowed these countries to be in russias grasp in the first place. 

To be completely honest both Romania and Bulgaria are in NATO so in this sense they will not be in Russia's grasp any time soon. But if they feel alinated/betrayed, pro-Russian parties might eventually come to power and challenge the status-quo (similar to what we have in Hungary). The West shouldn't take anything for granted in this region of Europe.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 1
Debithius
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

To be completely honest both Romania and Bulgaria are in NATO so in this sense they will not be in Russia's grasp any time soon. But if they feel alinated/betrayed, pro-Russian parties might eventually come to power and challenge the status-quo (similar to what we have in Hungary). The West shouldn't take anything for granted in this region of Europe.

I really think it has to do more with the illegal immigration and everything that Europe is dealing with right now. None of these countries can deal with all of that right now. Especially since this is what Russia is planning on doing, starving the third world and force a mass immigration to Europe to further distruot everything. I am not saying it is right to veto them but I also understand why 

FfFfFfFF
24 minutes ago, Debithius said:

I really think it has to do more with the illegal immigration and everything that Europe is dealing with right now. None of these countries can deal with all of that right now. Especially since this is what Russia is planning on doing, starving the third world and force a mass immigration to Europe to further distruot everything. I am not saying it is right to veto them but I also understand why 

What illegal immigration routes transit Romania? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I am for them to join Schengen and I think they do deserve it but let us not pretend that there is no immigratiom route in Romania…

FfFfFfFF
23 minutes ago, Ivannn said:

I am for them to join Schengen and I think they do deserve it but let us not pretend that there is no immigratiom route in Romania…

As I said, the main bulk of illegal immigrantion in Austria happens through Slovenia and Italy. Less than 3% of the migrants applying for asylum in Austria passed through Romania. This is at best a matter of conflicting political interests and/ or xenophobia.

Quick math: Hungary-Romania border had 4000 attempted illegal crossings in the first 8 months of 2022 (https://hungarytoday.hu/increasing-number-of-migrants-arriving-from-romania/0. Meanwhile Croatia had 30.000 illegal immigrants in 10 months. https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20221206-croatia-sets-sights-on-europe-s-border-free-club.

Croatia would be a greater danger to Austria (and is closer geographically). However, Croatian beaches are just too good so they have to come up with a pretext which inevitabily falls upon scrutinity.

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

As I said, the main bulk of illegal immigrantion in Austria happens through Slovenia and Italy. Less than 3% of the migrants applying for asylum in Austria passed through Romania. This is at best a matter of conflicting political interests and/ or xenophobia.

Quick math: Hungary-Romania border had 4000 attempted illegal crossings in the first 8 months of 2022 (https://hungarytoday.hu/increasing-number-of-migrants-arriving-from-romania/0. Meanwhile Croatia had 30.000 illegal immigrants in 10 months. https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20221206-croatia-sets-sights-on-europe-s-border-free-club.

Croatia would be a greater danger to Austria (and is closer geographically). However, Croatian beaches are just too good so they have to come up with a pretext which inevitabily falls upon scrutinity.

Croatia is in the Middle of Europe and all those imigrants Had to come from somewhere else to Croatia before entering Slovenia.

Many immigrants enter Croatia from Serbia. How Many illegal crossing there is from Romania to Serbia?

FfFfFfFF
Just now, Ivannn said:

Croatia is in the Middle of Europe and all those imigrants Had to come from somewhere else to Croatia before entering Slovenia.

Many immigrants enter Croatia from Serbia. How Many illegal crossing there is from Romania to Serbia?

The only countries where you can travel to from Romania without a passport/ visa are Hungary, Bulgaria and Moldova. To get to Serbia you need said documents, moreover I am having a hard time imagining immigrants going from Turkey to Bulgaria then to Romania. Then to Serbia, then to Croatia, then to Bosnia and Herzegovina and then to Slovenia when they can simply go to Hungary.

Furthermore, even assuming there is a huge influx of immigrants from Romania to Serbia (when they are separated by a miles long Danube river with not many bridges), addmiting Croatia will not fix it as those hypotetical migrants will find their way there either way, even if Romania is left outside Schengen.

Debithius
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I am talking in general, not specifically Romania but you also have people who go through that route, Italy, Spain and France as well. But Romania is right next to Bulgaria and Turkey which is where people mainly come from as well if not through Greece.

Edited by Debithius
FfFfFfFF
1 minute ago, Debithius said:

I am talking in general, not specifically Romania but you also have people who go through that route, Italy, Spain and France as well.

I posted some stats above, you can check them out.