MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
politics

Congress blocks paid leave for rail workers

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

StarstruckIllusion

This is depressing… now they’re getting 0 paid sick days

and they’re gonna get the flop deal forced onto them with unholy means… poor workers :(((

• Shook 1
  • Sad 4
OG Gaga Stan

Disgusting. Everyone in Congress gets as many sick days as they want and when rail workers ask for just seven a year, Congress tells them to shut up and go back to work. Democratic leadership, including Biden, sided with railroad barons to crush workers.

America is an oligarchy and the one thing that Democrats and Republicans in office always agree on is that the working class can never inconvenience the wealthy.

• Like 5
WhiteWitch

This tweet is a gross oversimplification. This article explains it a little better: https://www.npr.org/2022/12/01/1140123647/rail-strike-bill-senate

My understanding is the bill that PASSED was to force the unions to accept a contract and avert a crisis, several Democrats voted against forcing the union to accept the contract because Republican Senators and Manchin voted against paid leave. 

OG Gaga Stan
20 minutes ago, WhiteWitch said:

This tweet is a gross oversimplification. This article explains it a little better: https://www.npr.org/2022/12/01/1140123647/rail-strike-bill-senate

My understanding is the bill that PASSED was to force the unions to accept a contract and avert a crisis, several Democrats voted against forcing the union to accept the contract because Republican Senators and Manchin voted against paid leave. 

No, it isn't. At all. You don't know what you're talking about.

-Rail workers negotiated with rail barons for months, the main demand being paid sick leave days. They currently get none. 

-The union bosses stuck a deal with rail barons that did not provide workers any sick days. The majority of union membership voted against ratifying the deal because it didn't give them what they wanted.

-Biden stepped in and argued that the workers be forced to accept a terrible deal via a bill in Congress because he didn't want to have to deal with a national strike, which would hypothetically hurt his polling numbers. Bernie Sanders pushed for an amendment to the bill that guaranteed the workers paid sick leave, and Democratic leadership split the amendment off into a separate bill knowing that the Sanders amendment would die in the Senate. Which it did. 

There was no imminent "crisis" other than a railroad strike that would lose the rail barons money and halt rail transport and deliveries, which is the entire point of a strike. It's what the entirety of the labor movement is built on. Workers using their collective power to halt production until their demands are met.

Biden and Democratic leadership worked with Republicans and rail barons (who make over $200 million) to force rail workers to accept a terrible deal that doesn't guarantee them the thing that they initiated all of this for in the first place. Congresspeople who make over $100,000 a year and have unlimited sick days told rail workers that they don't deserve even one sick day if it inconveniences the rich and hurts their poll numbers. That's exactly what happened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
misha4ever

How are they getting sick days at all? It shouldn't exist. If you feel ill just take the day off and it shouldn't be taken out of your payment.

In my country, the only companies with that policy are US ones. The law says they can't take money from the employer's payment if they are ill (depending of the contract) but they ignore it and the government doesn't care because those business pays a lot of $ to avoid following the rules.

Which is funny because I work for the government and I can have 1 to 3 months of day offs because of illness with a medical license (i think it's more, i don't remember) with pay.

Anyway, absolute capitalism sucks.

english is not my native language >.<
TortureMeOnReplay
1 hour ago, misha4ever said:

How are they getting sick days at all? It shouldn't exist. If you feel ill just take the day off and it shouldn't be taken out of your payment.

In my country, the only companies with that policy are US ones. The law says they can't take money from the employer's payment if they are ill (depending of the contract) but they ignore it and the government doesn't care because those business pays a lot of $ to avoid following the rules.

Which is funny because I work for the government and I can have 1 to 3 months of day offs because of illness with a medical license (i think it's more, i don't remember) with pay.

Anyway, absolute capitalism sucks.

Most people in the US aren't under contract though, they're considered hourly and get paid only for when they do work unless some specific benefit is given. 

• Sad 1
PartySick

We knew this would happen as soon as they split the bill.

They wonder why Democrat voters are always so unenthusiastic :laughga: workers' rights and benefits, wages, and unions are some of the biggest things blue collar workers care about and while Republicans are intentionally malicious, Democrats drop the ball every goddamn time.

It's like sometimes the choice is between actively bad and passively useless.

Just give workers their sick days. Good god, how gross is it that they're having to go on a national strike to get SEVEN DAYS of sick leave :saladga:

America is wild.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
StarstruckIllusion
4 hours ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

-Rail workers negotiated with rail barons for months, the main demand being paid sick leave days. They currently get none. 

-The union bosses stuck a deal with rail barons that did not provide workers any sick days. The majority of union membership voted against ratifying the deal because it didn't give them what they wanted.

-Biden stepped in and argued that the workers be forced to accept a terrible deal via a bill in Congress because he didn't want to have to deal with a national strike, which would hypothetically hurt his polling numbers. Bernie Sanders pushed for an amendment to the bill that guaranteed the workers paid sick leave, and Democratic leadership split the amendment off into a separate bill knowing that the Sanders amendment would die in the Senate. Which it did. 

There was no imminent "crisis" other than a railroad strike that would lose the rail barons money and halt rail transport and deliveries, which is the entire point of a strike. It's what the entirety of the labor movement is built on. Workers using their collective power to halt production until their demands are met.

Biden and Democratic leadership worked with Republicans and rail barons (who make over $200 million) to force rail workers to accept a terrible deal that doesn't guarantee them the thing that they initiated all of this for in the first place. Congresspeople who make over $100,000 a year and have unlimited sick days told rail workers that they don't deserve even one sick day if it inconveniences the rich and hurts their poll numbers. That's exactly what happened.

This. Every part of this. A national rail strike a day before the Georgia Run-off… I know he was scared. Somehow I hope Biden invalidates this after the runoff they can get work days eventually

Cant imagine how sad this is for the rail workers… about 30% of them already quit over mess like this… doing their job of safely transporting human lives being compromised by their own leaders. Greedy people are very stupid 

• Like 1
Gabi001

Reading about US working consitions seems to me like reading about 19th century Europe :air: there isn't even paid sick leave in US? In Europe when doctor writes a paper that you are ill, you can stay at home as long as doctor says and you will still get paid. 

I'm not having fun tonight.
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1
TortureMeOnReplay
6 hours ago, Gabi001 said:

Reading about US working consitions seems to me like reading about 19th century Europe :air: there isn't even paid sick leave in US? In Europe when doctor writes a paper that you are ill, you can stay at home as long as doctor says and you will still get paid. 

Nope. Gotta go to work most of the time. It'll count against you too, even leading to termination for lack of reliability. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
WhiteWitch
12 hours ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

The two specific tweets that you posted absolutely were confusing and reactionary with very few details. Which is what I was speaking to. Having not heard anything about this prior to your thread, my confusion was because of the second tweet. The tweets were about two separate bills and I wasn’t clear on that. That’s why I posted the article that was more expansive than two reaction tweets. I wasn’t trying to be rude to you directly, so you can tone it the f*** down

Economy
On 12/1/2022 at 7:46 PM, WhiteWitch said:

Tbh. And the title of this OP makes it sound like that's what Biden wanted to block, their sick days

This isn't a typical strike in a random factory. It affects a lot of people, businesses and economies so making them forced to accept a deal is obviously about averting that not "because he doesn't want them to get their rights". That's obviously twisting the reason why the President felt he had to do it

Now whether it was right or whether this should even be an issue in the first place is a whole seperate beast on its own. I wasn't defending Biden stopping the strike in itself. Only that the reasons given for why he did it I think are being a little bit unfair, making it sound like he wants them to not have sick days

Many US have extremely poor labor laws and it's not surprising exploitation is so rampant. Not sure what they are waiting for exactly

Economy
21 hours ago, Gabi001 said:

Ughhhhhh doctor notes. 

If I had to go thru the trouble of trying to see my doctor and not be able to rest at home cuz I have to go get a dam note I'd rather just go into work sick at that point

Sometimes they don't have empty slots here the day of, even if they do ever since pandemic most of our family doctors refuse to see us if we have flu and/or covid symptoms refering us to go to hospital instead where u will be welcomed to an ER waiting list of several hours

A note ain't worth that much trouble

ALGAYDO
21 hours ago, Gabi001 said:

Must be nice :giveup: