💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Netflix to start charging 'extra user' fee

NATAH

Featured Posts

The days of password sharing and secretly piggybacking on your ex’s Netflix account will soon be behind us. The subscription service is seemingly knuckling down on those who, for whatever reason, have failed to start up their own accounts.

On Tuesday, the brand announced during its quarterly earnings report that it will shortly be charging customers an added monthly fee to people who have shared their usernames and passwords.

The decision follows a piloted program which has already been rolled out in Latin America and charges excess fees for what they deem to be ‘extra user’ sub accounts - ie. users placed outside of your immediate household who cheekily log in to watch a series, or two.

The brand announced in their report: “Finally, we’ve landed on a thoughtful approach to monetize account sharing and we’ll begin rolling this out more broadly starting in early 2023. 

“After listening to consumer feedback, we are going to offer the ability for borrowers to transfer their Netflix profile into their own account, and for sharers to manage their devices more easily and to create sub-accounts ('extra member'), if they want to pay for family or friends.

The streaming service has yet to announce how much it will charge customers for the ‘extra user’ service - but if it’s anything like the pilot scheme in Latin America, it will follow a ‘one quarter of the basic rate’ ideology.

Though it's not set in stone, it would work out to around £1.75 extra per month ($3-4 in the US).

article: https://www.unilad.com/news/netflix-subscription-fees-uk-extra-users-20221019?source=twittermoments

:smh:

mother, what must i do?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bionic said:

How will they know its not me visiting?

Netflix are going to implode

i imagine tracking IP addresses on devices or sumsum

mother, what must i do?

alsemanche

Yeah as if people will pay for that instead of simply pirating shows for free :ladyhaha: 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Naak Le Vaar

So instead of developing quality shows they do this? Netflix will really be in ha flop era 

Lmao they blocked my signature

Watch them go back to the old formula once everyone and their mama start canceling their subscription :billie:

We don’t really need to talk too much, show each other what we know 🦋

FATCAT

The second someone is charged extra they’ll drop the service immediately. They are not going to survive this if they indeed try it.

Purr more, hiss less.

This isn't an issue for me, but the rising prices are*. Since, reportedly, they're going to switch Basic to 720p (from 480p) next month, I'm downgrading to that.

* Also the lack of integration with Apple TV that most other services have.

TheOriginalOne

Lemme catch up on all my shows and movies real quick so I can unsubscribe at the end of the year

tumblr_inline_nn8rih2V721ss0czp_500.gif

Mother of Puppies

I don't get how exactly this is gonna work out?

I'm using my sister's account :oops: so that'll be over soon hm? :partysick: oh well I still got amazon prime... they're probably gonna follow their example next

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

B2theRich33

How’re they gonna know who is out of the immediate household ? Like I live with my mom and sister and have one account with three profiles? 

21 minutes ago, B2theRich33 said:

How’re they gonna know who is out of the immediate household ? Like I live with my mom and sister and have one account with three profiles? 

It's fine then because the ip address Will track you

3 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

What if you’re logged in on a phone, TV, and laptop? :oprah: 

they'll likely track the IP addresses of each device and maybe an algorithm to point out that one isn't the same as the rest

mother, what must i do?

Archived