đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

Pitchfork reviews 'ARTPOP' with 7.3 score

Brainiac

Featured Posts

Donatellah
5 hours ago, Benji said:

Born This Way is also mixed poorly, I agree with that.  What saves Born This Way is that the production has such a timeless feel to it because, unlike with ARTPOP, they weren’t chasing a dated EDM trend with producers like Zedd and DJWS’ “trap.”  That sound was dying in 2012 and then ARTPOP didn’t come out until a whole year later :billie:

It certainly has “loud” production but it’s just a mess.  Songs like GUY and Gypsy are mostly just noise where they’re mixed so poorly.

Idk if they were chasing an EDM trend. ARTPOP has EDM elements and tracks yet it isn't fully an EDM album. Trap is actually, afaik, a popular genre even in 2022, so I don't get your point. By the way, I disagree by you saying that BTW has a timeless feeling cause to me it sounds very 2011-ish, and that doesn't mean it's something bad. 

Anddd I disagree with ARTPOP whole production being a mess, and may you elaborate why you consider both G.U.Y. And G*psy poorly mixed? 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ziggy

I appreciate how much this interview explicitly calls out how bad DWUW is. It really did go so much further than just collabing with an abuser, it near mocked the survivors (known and unknown at the time).

And I appreciated how it used that as an anchor to dive into her pain on the album because it (the pain) really is critical to ARTPOP a lot more than any of her other loftier ambitions might have been for it. It’s a really nuanced entry point tbh: going in via that song, disavowing it, then not invalidating the pain that caused it as well and exploring how it showed up further on the album to keep the focus there and not get too distracted. A very nice review, imo

Ziggy

I don’t get the “mixed poorly” comments from some of y’all…upon release, the album was lauded for its production lol it’s everything *else that got torn apart and that hasn’t really changed over the years. Y’all sure you just don’t like the textures it was going for? Because in what it was aiming to do, ARTPOP is excellently produced and super slick (according to many remarks at release).

Starmie25
11 hours ago, Benji said:

poorly produced and flat

Wrong. Are we even listening to the same album because "flat" don't fit ARTPOP

StrawberryBlond

Didn't expect retrospectives until its 10th anniversary at least, so this one to kick it off is a good sign. I don't think it should be on par with Chromatica, though, as I like ARTPOP more but it's good to see that it at least hasn't gone down in estimations 9 years later. How good it is to see a review that actually reviews it properly and doesn't focus on where her career was in the public's perception at the time. It was downright unprofessional of reviewers who did that. I also didn't realise that the site never reviewed the album initially, which is why I wondered why there was no original score to compare it to. How intriguing to find out that no one wanted to review it when the original writer tasked with it had to drop out. I can't imagine reviewers now turning down the chance to review an album by a major league artist, which just shows how little some music outlets cared for Gaga back then, which is so sad. As this review has now been added retroactively, it's doubtful that this will increase the MC score, even if the album was never reviewed originally. Final scores have always been decided at the time of release to keep it in a time capsule for how people evaluated this music at the time (at least that's my theory). But it's nice to see this diamond in the rough get its flowers. Now we can only hope that outlets like The A.V. Club (who gave it a C- score, the lowest score I've seen) will do the same one day.

pachinko
On 8/14/2022 at 12:41 AM, Brainiac said:

"Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit Lady Gaga’s most divisive and conceptually ambitious album."

They give the album a 7.3!

Read the full review here: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/lady-gaga-ARTPOP/?mbid=social_twitter&utm_brand=p4k&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter

What was the original score? Definitely worth mentioning in OP. 

phantasmas

so what I’m hearing is… is that Emotion by Carly Rae Jepsen is better :gayhat:

Brainiac
5 hours ago, pachinko said:

What was the original score? Definitely worth mentioning in OP. 

There was no original score. Pitchfork never reviewed the album when it first came out.

pachinko
17 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

There was no original score. Pitchfork never reviewed the album when it first came out.

Whattt :cryga:

lolitamuse
On 8/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, SevenWonder said:

I loved ARTPOP when it came out. Still do. But Chromatica is clearly the stronger album. It doesn't have quite the highs of ARTPOP (though that's debatable for sure), but it has no true lows or skips. ARTPOP can't say that. 

But that's just me. 

Plastic Doll and Fun Tonight are my instant skips. Free Woman is an occasional skip, depending on my mood. Sine from Above is also a hit or miss - do I want to listen to Elton John right now, or not? Even 1000 Doves, with its non-chorus can be a bore if you're not feeling it lol.

I would argue that the only skip on ARTPOP is Jewels n Drugs. Maybe Fashion.

Archived