Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Confused about Chromatica’s aesthetics

Tinnitus15

Featured Posts

Tinnitus15

Hello,since the tour started(May have a bit of spoilers but nothing major),I’m totally confused about the world of Chromatica.

First we have the photoshoot,showing us the world of Chromatica-very sci-fi,alien,dystopian vibes.We have weird alien masks,tentacles going everywhere,bodysuits melting and so on.Then we have SL and ROM mvs which fits the theme of the photshoot and the overall vibe of Chromatica.Then we have VMAS again with its masks and again Chromatica world

Here comes my first confusion:911 MV.Which doesn’t fit the other aesthetics at all.We all have this down to Earth world-Gaga’s mind and Gaga’s real world(in the end of 911 mv).We have that Mexican vibes form the set,and totally different costumes and vibes.

Then we have the TOUR!First she posted about the tour from the Chromatica photoshoot(og announcement and then the reschedule).Then we had the announcement of the new dates with a pic,completely different form the tour vibe.Suddenly days before the tour we have that black pic from the photshoot on her social’s.Then we have her “Museum of brutality” with her stage giving me “communist buildings vibes” and COMPLETELY different look as a whole.We’re going from the colourful world of Chromatica(in terms of outfits,wigs,make up and so on) to black outfits,more like rock vibes.The interludes(her best tour visual up to now.Hands down I’m obsessed with them) giving me completely BTWB vibes 

Dont get me wrong I LOVE the tour(stage,outfits,wig,make up).

Im just curious did they somehow lost the concept of Chromatica or there were some artistic differences in the process.Cuz,let’s be real,we all expected:mountains,tower of Babylon,jungle and tentacles,similar to her album cover.I feel like if I saw for the first time pics of the tour and the album cover,I would say those are completely different.I feel like something shifted.

Dayman

It makes more sense when you link them all together as Chromatica not being a place with a set in stone rules. Chromatica as we have been told by Gaga and shown in the works is supposed to be more of a place inside her head. Think about all the melted flesh in the works or the 911 video being set in her mind and then how the Chromatica Ball starts with her big hits and has an interlude of her brain being scanned and THEN Chromatica I starts. It’s a fluid world and concept.

Chlorine Sevigny

IMO the tour is not literally about Chromatica. It’s something different. It’s more of an abstract emotional story. So the “lore” established from the early album era is not that important or relevant to the tour.

But you could argue that Chromatica if it’s a planet, could easily contain the aesthetic of the tour in places we hadn’t seen and it could even take place at a different time in Chromatica’s history. If you wanted to go there. I don’t think that’s true though. I think this is what Gaga was feeling now 2 years later and was not as attached to the ideas from the album rollout.

Dojo

paying attention to the intro, my theory, is that she is an alien from chromatica, coming to deliver us, the human race, a message

if you think about it, at the beginning there's like a time travel portal (reminds me of interstellar), and then we see a weird creature experiencing a creepy yet super cool transformation until she fully becomes human Gaga, then bad romance starts playing :pawsup:

i don't think the reality of the show is set in chromatica but here, on earth, that's why the vibe and the aesthetics are different

Tinnitus15
3 minutes ago, Dayman said:

It makes more sense when you link them all together as Chromatica not being a place with a set in stone rules. Chromatica as we have been told by Gaga and shown in the works is supposed to be more of a place inside her head. Think about all the melted flesh in the works or the 911 video being set in her mind and then how the Chromatica Ball starts with her big hits and has an interlude of her brain being scanned and THEN Chromatica I starts. It’s a fluid world and concept.

2 minutes ago, Frank Potion said:

IMO the tour is not literally about Chromatica. It’s something different. It’s more of an abstract emotional story. So the “lore” established from the early album era is not that important or relevant to the tour.

But you could argue that Chromatica if it’s a planet, could easily contain the aesthetic of the tour in places we hadn’t seen and it could even take place at a different time in Chromatica’s history. If you wanted to go there. I don’t think that’s true though. I think this is what Gaga was feeling now 2 years later and was not as attached to the ideas from the album rollout.

As someone has mentioned from the first interlude we have that sphere exploding.Maybe the world of Chromatica nowhere exists and we’re seeing Gaga after Chromatica 

Sneaky Oliver

Applause MV is very black and white German expressionism yet the ARTPOP tour os literally a mega colorful rave

Telephone is super campy comedic trashy film aesthetic while Alejandro is very dark and sexual 

Born This Way is very 70s rock and roll aesthetics while the tour has a medieval castle

I think those different “aesthetics” and themes compliment each other within each era! A concept by Gaga is usually very wide 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

sillynate

You think that’s confusing? You shoulda seen the Joanne era. She started out wearing a cowboy hat talkin bout “yeehaw” this and “cattle rustlin” that. Then come time for the tour and it’s visuals like this 

DOYlBsqW0AE-_Q7.jpg?format=1000w 
maxresdefault.jpg

Suspiria

I think the reality comes down to just the fact that 2 whole years have passed since then, she is in a different place creatively now.

However, she did always say that Chromatica is not a planet but a state of mind - it's how she views the world. So SL was about how she sees the world dividing itself up into arbitrary 'tribes' and groups even though we are so infinitely different that we can't be grouped like that. So that was just one way of representing it.

I guess the tour is more about how she views herself and her journey since achieving fame. It's a different thing she is looking at, so it will look different.

Kimmo

Speaking of… 

One thing I hated was how tacky some of the Green Tribe members looked… while some others looked kinda cool :poot:

This one for example I liked:

C9491-EA3-C92-C-4-BF5-BB06-636521-EB0-B3

Hottie Detector

Roronoa

911 isn’t Mexican, it’s Armenian. If references the film The Color of Pomegranates (beautiful film that everybody should watch).

NATAH

i love it when she does a left turn with her aesthetics, never knowing what's coming is so exciting

mother, what must i do?

samaria

A lot of TCB seems like an exploration of Gaga (the artist/the concept) through the lens of Chromatica, not the other way around (as it was the case with the ArtRave).

She even opened with a look that paid tribute to Hugo Ball, a Dada artist from Zürich who originated the kind of repetitive lyrical structure Gaga uses a lot (rah, rah, etc.) and also may have factored into the choice of "Gaga" in the first place. 

203px-Hugo_Ball_Cabaret_Voltaire.jpgGettyImages-1409384572.jpg

Tinnitus15
6 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Speaking of… 

One thing I hated was how tacky some of the Green Tribe members looked… while some others looked kinda cool :poot:

This one for example I liked:

C9491-EA3-C92-C-4-BF5-BB06-636521-EB0-B3

Form what I have seen from SL outtakes,I feel like the bigger serves were left out.For example The Spiritual ones were sooo good why didn’t they include them :messga:

Tinnitus15
3 minutes ago, iku iku iku said:

911 isn’t Mexican, it’s Armenian. If references the film The Color of Pomegranates (beautiful film that everybody should watch).

I was talking about the set.Wasn’t it shot somewhere in Mexico at the same location where timber mv was shot!

Meat
3 minutes ago, Tinnitus15 said:

I was talking about the set.Wasn’t it shot somewhere in Mexico at the same location where timber mv was shot!

That’s New Mexico, it’s a place in the US not Mexico.

Archived