MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

politics

Cuellar, Cisneros in Dead Heat in Texas 28 (Live Updates)

Featured Posts

JRCF29
Posted (edited)

Cuellar 50.5%

Cisneros 49.5%

Live Results

Update (12:22am): Cuellar is currently leading by roughly 200 votes. Neither candidate has declared victory.

Update (11:50pm): After briefly giving up a razor-thin lead, Cisneros has inched back in front of Cuellar, with less than 500 votes separating the pair. Under Texas law, candidates can request a recount if the final margin is within 10% of all votes cast.

U.S. Rep Henry Cuellar (D-Texas) overtook primary opponent Jessica Cisneros for the first time since right after polls closed in the 28th district's contentious primary runoff. 

Cisneros, an immigration attorney and progressive activist, unsuccessfully ran for this seat in 2020 and launched a second campaign last year. Neither her nor Cuellar, the House's last remaining anti-abortion Democrat, secured a majority of votes in the March primary, leading to a May rematch that drew national attention, significant spending, and prominent politicians from across the spectrum. 

Cuellar's allies in the House, led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), have vocally backed him in the runoff and influential moderates have spent large sums of money to defend him, with his supporters standing by him even during an FBI raid of his house. (Rep. Cuellar has not been charged with any crime). 

Cisneros has the backing of progressive figures including Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.). She has ramped up attacks over Cuellar's pro-life voting record and statements in the wake of the leaked draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade. 

Edited by JRCF29
Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Like 1
  • JRCF29 changed the title to Cuellar, Cisneros in Dead Heat in Texas 28 (Live Updates)
StarstruckIllusion

The way Nancy Pelosi thinks progressive Dems are worse than losing abortion rights… sigh. 

• Thanks 6
Emvee

If Cuellar wins in the midst of this roe v wade crisis, it’ll be the most blatant display of hypocrisy from democrats yet - especially from Nancy Pelosi who endorsed him. 

JRCF29
13 minutes ago, Emvee said:

If Cuellar wins in the midst of this roe v wade crisis, it’ll be the most blatant display of hypocrisy from democrats yet - especially from Nancy Pelosi who endorsed him. 

It wasn't just Pelosi. The entire Democratic leadership arm was behind him, and House Majority Whip Rep. Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) showed up in person for a rally over the weekend. 

Cuellar's district is one of the most Catholic in the country, so his abortion stance is almost certainly more consistent with the district overall than is Cisneros'. Whoever the nominee is will be facing Cassy Garcia, a pro-life candidate, in the general; Cuellar's allies will argue (and have been arguing) that a pro-choice activist with close ties to AOC is a poor fit for the district in a competitive climate. The abortion issue in this district does not appear to be playing the way many progressives expected.

Don't Call Me Gaga
gabeoz

I really hope Cisneros wins. she had such a big advantage in the first round. hope it translates to her win (she won against a guy I used to talk to :nooo:)

JRCF29
18 minutes ago, Emvee said:

For comparison, Cisneros received a similar number of votes (as of right now, with almost all ballots in) in the first-round of voting (pre-leak). 

Don't Call Me Gaga
JRCF29
5 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

I really hope Cisneros wins. she had such a big advantage in the first round. hope it translates to her win (she won against a guy I used to talk to :nooo:)

Henry Cuellar won the first round by a little over a percentage point

Don't Call Me Gaga
gabeoz
7 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

Henry Cuellar won the first round by a little over a percentage point

Honestly I’m a little surprised, I closely follow a lot of congressional races but not my own district :nooo: I knew the first primary was close but not beating her close. But then again, I live in north San Antonio and I’ve heard only about her. 

JRCF29
31 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

Honestly I’m a little surprised, I closely follow a lot of congressional races but not my own district :nooo: I knew the first primary was close but not beating her close. But then again, I live in north San Antonio and I’ve heard only about her. 

Cisneros is strong in San Antonio, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that the Roe leak expanded her support. beyond its borders. She has almost exactly the same number of votes in the runoff as she did in the first round--that's not indicative of people rallying to her, former Cuellar voters or otherwise

Don't Call Me Gaga
gabeoz
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

Cisneros is strong in San Antonio, but there doesn't appear to be any indication that the Roe leak expanded her support. beyond its borders. She has almost exactly the same number of votes in the runoff as she did in the first round--that's not indicative of people rallying to her, former Cuellar voters or otherwise

You are right, she does have over 80% support here it seems. But To be fair, the big wave we would expect to see regarding abortion really won’t come until roe is actually overturned, officially. But I agree, abortion isn’t currently the biggest issue in the district. I’m a bartender as well, working in a predominately wealthy, white area of the district in San Antonio. I have heard more talk about the texas school shooting and how something needs to be done about it, today, in a single shift, than the issue of abortion the entire time Ive worked here. 
Dems struggle so hard on messaging, and it really shows during times like this.

Edited by gabeoz
Nemo

177-vote gap as of this post

Cuellar declared victory, but it's obviously recount territory. I'm not sure how many votes are outstanding.

JRCF29
6 hours ago, Nemo said:

177-vote gap as of this post

Cuellar declared victory, but it's obviously recount territory. I'm not sure how many votes are outstanding.

No change in the results as of today. Cisneros can petition for a recount, but would have to do so soon under Texas law.

Don't Call Me Gaga