economy

Four Skyscrapers To Replace Canada's Largest Hotel

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2022/05/33-gerrard-st-west-toronto/

Canada's largest hotel which has over 1500 suits is getting very close to the final stage of being replaced with 4 skyscrapers in its space

The four towers are proposed to be around 88 floors in the plan pending final approval. 

The height will be 276 metres (a little under 900 feet).

They are a little shorter than the current tallest buildings under construction in Toronto (over 300 metres or near 1000 feet) but if it was completed today it would be the 2nd tallest building (3rd counting CN Tower) so it is still taller than most of the existing buildings

• Like 3
Lucas

Oh I actually watched a video about this yesterday on Youtube, about the skyscrapers boom in Toronto, they were calling it the Manhattanisation of Toronto :giggle:

I hope it'll solve the lack of appartments there, but in the video they said the flats would be very small as they expect people to live more in the city than in their own place :wacko:

Pablo

Wow! I am amazed they can fit 4 skyscrapers in that space. I have mixed feelings for when large builder like this are razed though, so much waste. 

Don't visit my profile
Economy
38 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Wow! I am amazed they can fit 4 skyscrapers in that space. I have mixed feelings for when large builder like this are razed though, so much waste. 

What's wasteful? More housing in the same area. More densification!

Tho personally I wouldn't wanna live in any building with more than 20-30 floors. Elevator waiting times become annoying

Economy
43 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Oh I actually watched a video about this yesterday on Youtube, about the skyscrapers boom in Toronto, they were calling it the Manhattanisation of Toronto :giggle:

I hope it'll solve the lack of appartments there, but in the video they said the flats would be very small as they expect people to live more in the city than in their own place :wacko:

It was in 2012 I believe Toronto had more high rises under construction than the rest of the top 10 cities in North America combined

That's no longer the case as construction in many US cities recovered and Toronto slowed slightly but construction remains solid in Toronto

Unfortunately it won't solve lack of apartments anytime soon. With the population of Canada growing half a million a year, at current construction pace a shortage will remain for some time especially since Ontario (along with British Columbia) have the worst accumulated shortages in the Country

PussOfYonce

oh wow im shocked but loving this! increasing density is always welcome :legend:

✨ puthy tight, puthy clean, puthy fresh ✨
  • Like 1
Economy
1 hour ago, PussOfYonce said:

oh wow im shocked but loving this! increasing density is always welcome :legend:

I'm not so shocked. This has been a rapid trend the last decade and a bit. But housing is still in shortage :selena:

OhHenny2020

@Economyany comment about the ICE towers in Toronto? Supposed to be staying there on the 48th floor for TCB in August

gabeoz
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pablo said:

This really isn’t a waste though. The biggest waste from skyscrapers comes from vanity projects. fancy and extremely expensive but lack of usable space and demand for it (looking at you shanghai tower, kingdom tower, etc) In most cases mixed use mid rises are considered ideal for communities. In some cases, like this case, it’s a necessity for the city to grow as it’s literally ran out of outward space to expand during a gigantic population boom. 

Edited by gabeoz
  • Like 1
Economy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gabeoz said:

This really isn’t a waste though. The biggest waste from skyscrapers comes from vanity projects. fancy and extremely expensive but lack of usable space and demand for it (looking at you shanghai tower, kingdom tower, etc) In most cases mixed use mid rises are considered ideal for communities. In some cases, like this case, it’s a necessity for the city to grow as it’s literally ran out of outward space to expand during a gigantic population boom. 

Even my suburb city Brampton (for anyone that doesn't know it's the 2nd largest Toronto Suburb after Mississauga with some 620,000 people) is starting to build condos at a faster pace...

And up until recently it was super suburban. Houses was all the emphasis, we had some buildings but it was only a few projects (mostly on Queen) every so often

But now we literally have more than a dozen condo projects that are either ongoing or approved

Of course the land values and demand does justify skyscrapers anywhere near as tall as Toronto. They are all in the 23 to 30 story range which tbh I think is ideal unless ur city demands force u to build taller. At this time Brampton does not need taller buildings than that

However Mississauga may have to start going taller as well it is nearly out of space for new housing. We're already starting to see Mississauga go taller. The Marylin Monroe towers by Square one I think we're the beggining of a new longer term trend. I know a lot of projects with similar heights or taller are pending (does not mean all will be approved of course)

Edited by Economy
Pablo
6 hours ago, Economy said:

What's wasteful? More housing in the same area. More densification!

Tho personally I wouldn't wanna live in any building with more than 20-30 floors. Elevator waiting times become annoying

1 hour ago, gabeoz said:

I meant tearing down a massive building that's already there

Don't visit my profile
Economy
Just now, Pablo said:

I meant tearing down a massive building that's already there

That hotel has been underused for some time. The infrastructure was also starting to get old and was going to need a lot of money to renovate which the amount of business it would provide would be questionable

Given the city has a severe housing crisis, land and space is precious and that hotel was being underused anyway... Providing housing for hundreds of people seems like a better use of that land

Given it will be more useful to the city, and the hotel owners agreed without pressure... I have no issue with this

The only downside I guess is that since it is Canadas largest hotel it's kind of a landmark of some significance I guess. But tbh not that significant as it's not really talked about. I had even forgotten it existed until I read this article

Way0ut

Oh wow. The amount of sex I had in that hotel during my ho era :toofunny: I’ll miss it!