MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

society

UNESCO site Sumela Monastery reopened fully to the public

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

sumela-monastery-uqZ8_cover.jpg

Sumela Monastery is a Greek Orthodox monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary located within the Pontic Mountains, in the Maçka district of Turkey. Also known as Mother Mary, or Virgin Mary, the monastery is carved out of rocks in a wooded area on the slope of Mt. Karadağ above the Altındere Valley. The historic monastery finally opened fully on Sunday.

Trabzon Governor İsmail Ustaoğlu told Demirören News Agency that the monastery, which was previously closed three times temporarily during restoration, has been in restoration since February 2016. The massive rocks atop the site had forced authorities to take extra measures as erosion over time made them even more dangerous.

sumela-monastery-3.jpg

shutterstock_11253361.jpg

It is not known when the monastery was founded, but the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism places the date around AD 386, during the reign of the emperor Theodosius I (375 - 395).

According to William Miller, two Athenian monks named Barnabas and Sophronios founded the monastery. It became famous for an icon of the Virgin Mary known as the Panagia Gorgoepekoos, said to have been painted by the Apostle Luke.

sumela.jpg

shutterstock_206052181.jpg 

An architectural wonder, the monastery is included in UNESCO's temporary list of World Heritage sites. It was reopened for religious practice on Aug. 15, 2010, with permission from the Culture and Tourism Ministry, following an 88-year hiatus.

Monastery.jpgPanagiya-Sümela-3-768x513.jpg

Source - 1, 2

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Love 5
CameltoeKween

I would rather die than be in that building omg :messga: I feel dizzy just THINKING about it collapsing :bradley:

• Thanks 1
FfFfFfFF
26 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

I would rather die than be in that building omg :messga: I feel dizzy just THINKING about it collapsing :bradley:

In true Orthodox ascetic spirit, it's not unheard of monasteries or monk's shelters to be constructed under rocks that look dangerous, because they continously remind said monk of death. A monk needs to keep his mind at the reality of death and how that can occur any moment.

15742675.jpg

Also if this gives you chils, just wait until you find out about Ethiopia's monolithic churches. Acc to Wiki, ''The entrance is reached by a steep and hazardous ascent with hand and footholds in the rock. Visitors have to cross a natural stone bridge with a sheer drop of approximately 250m on either side, and thereafter a final narrow wooden footbridge.''

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 1
CameltoeKween
2 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

In true Orthodox ascetic spirit, it's not unheard of monasteries or monk's shelters to be constructed under rocks that look dangerous, because they continously remind said monk of death. A monk needs to keep his mind at the reality of death and how that can occur any moment.

15742675.jpg

Also if this gives you chils, just wait until you find out about Ethiopia's monolithic churches. Acc to Wiki, ''The entrance is reached by a steep and hazardous ascent with hand and footholds in the rock. Visitors have to cross a natural stone bridge with a sheer drop of approximately 250m on either side, and thereafter a final narrow wooden footbridge.''

This is absolutely fascinating, I've never heard of the Ethiopian churches! Thanks so much for sharing this with me :kiss:

• Like 1
FfFfFfFF

panagia_soumela_foto_magda_buftea_6_of_1

After just having been reopened, the monastery sent its oldest icon for veneration in a village in Teleorman, Romania. As per article, the monastery became famous for an icon of the Virgin Mary known as the Panagia Gorgoepekoos, said to have been painted by the Apostle Luke.

• Like 2
FfFfFfFF
On 5/5/2022 at 11:21 PM, FfFfFfFF said:

panagia_soumela_foto_magda_buftea_6_of_1

After just having been reopened, the monastery sent its oldest icon for veneration in a village in Teleorman, Romania. As per article, the monastery became famous for an icon of the Virgin Mary known as the Panagia Gorgoepekoos, said to have been painted by the Apostle Luke.

It arrived

icoana1-8a7bcf5c.jpg?w=700

icoana-maicii-domnului-picata-de-ap-luca-manastirea-pantocrator.jpeg

FfFfFfFF
13 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

It arrived

icoana1-8a7bcf5c.jpg?w=700

icoana-maicii-domnului-picata-de-ap-luca-manastirea-pantocrator.jpeg

And wait.. there is more. A halo was seen seen around the sun during the procession with the icon. In the pictures it looks less impressive, but they are saying it was rainbow-colored.

db3d9358-2e72-473e-bfe2-e399cf276527-a7e

https://observatornews.ro/eveniment/maica-domnului-e-cu-noi-aici-dumnezeu-e-aici-credinciosii-prezenti-la-manastirea-pantocrator-cred-ca-au-avut-parte-de-o-minune-dumnezeiasca-469806.html 

• Like 1
Morphine Prince

Did this inspire the Northern Air Temples in Avatar? I can see a similar vibe. That and similar temples in Asia. 

FfFfFfFF
10 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Did this inspire the Northern Air Temples in Avatar? I can see a similar vibe. That and similar temples in Asia. 

It seems that it was inspired from temples in Buthan and Tibet. https://atlaculture.tumblr.com/post/651285497282478080/cultural-architecture-air-nomad-architecture-pt

Meteora Monasteries (also Greek Orthodox but in mainland Greece) would be even similar because they are exactly on the top of huge rocks.

meteroa.jpg

800px-Holy_Monastery_of_Rousanou.jpg

meteora_monasteries_81823100.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
RebeldeFaith

This looks like a place you can raid in Assassin's Creed Valhalla and now I want to go see it in person. :bradley:

This is my signature.
  • YAAAS 1
Morphine Prince
4 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

It seems that it was inspired from temples in Buthan and Tibet. https://atlaculture.tumblr.com/post/651285497282478080/cultural-architecture-air-nomad-architecture-pt

Meteora Monasteries (also Greek Orthodox but in mainland Greece) would be even similar because they are exactly on the top of huge rocks.

meteroa.jpg

800px-Holy_Monastery_of_Rousanou.jpg

meteora_monasteries_81823100.jpg

Ooh I think I might have been thinking of the Western Air Temple. The one in the middle of the rocks that are upside down! 

• Like 1
FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, RebeldeFaith said:

Valhalla 

I will be delving into history nerd territory, but this term specifically has a particular meaning which is interesting in this context. Germans called the Romans and Celts Walhaz and this word has a legacy in many parts of the former Roman Empire (Wallachia region in Romania, Wales in the United Kindgom etc). Pontic Greeks specifically call themselves Romanoi, which is, Romans. The Roman Empire fell with the conquering of Constantipole, but the Greeks of Anatolia still see themselves as Romans. There is also Magna Wallachia region in the middle of Greece, where both Aromanians and Greeks live, with both claiming in some capacity a legacy from the Roman/ Byzantine Empire.

main-qimg-f12ad11d6a74ef241ed8d981b9e0fc

Edited by FfFfFfFF
  • Love 1
FfFfFfFF
21 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

And wait.. there is more. A halo was seen seen around the sun during the procession with the icon. In the pictures it looks less impressive, but they are saying it was rainbow-colored.

db3d9358-2e72-473e-bfe2-e399cf276527-a7e 

1Lp94bd01jXNVbpPBpgkp81wyuDug0xtnJicCN9D

Video

RebeldeFaith
11 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I will be delving into history nerd territory, but this term specifically has a particular meaning which is interesting in this context. Germans called the Romans and Celts Walhaz and this word has a legacy in many parts of the former Roman Empire (Wallachia region in Romania, Wales in the United Kindgom etc). Pontic Greeks specifically call themselves Romanoi, which is, Romans. The Roman Empire fell with the conquering of Constantipole, but the Greeks of Anatolia still see themselves as Romans. There is also Magna Wallachia region in the middle of Greece, where both Aromanians and Greeks live, with both claiming in some capacity a legacy from the Roman/ Byzantine Empire.

main-qimg-f12ad11d6a74ef241ed8d981b9e0fc

Thank you for the knowledge! :saira:

This is my signature.