opinion

most influential: Gaga Vs. Lana 🔥

Dojo

Featured Posts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
streamstarcrossed

Honestly I can’t stand questions like this. What is the significance of influence? How do you accurately measure it? Is this even something you can answer objectively? How do you determine what’s a direct result of their influence as opposed to a natural progression of trends, the passing of time, or artists just doing whatever they want? 

NightStar

I think their influence can be matched, even though such a statement may come under question when people try to compare their record sales and ticket sales. Culturally, one can define several similarities between these artists. 

1. They both rose to music stardom as a part of some bigger trend.

Lady Gaga belonged with the EDM revolution of late 00s (together with David Guetta and Black Eyed Peas), and her musical choices obviously enriched the movement and made it more influential, prompting many of the previously R'n'B and other genre artists seek electronic dance music experiments (We found love by Rihanna is a great example).

It is harder to define the movement which Lana Del Rey had been a part of, but surely by the end of 2011 there had already arisen a sentiment of "I'm kinda over getting told to throw my hands up in the air in the club", even though EDM was nowhere near its end; Adele's 21 had been destroying the charts, bringing the whole debate about "authentic acoustic" vs "grimace gimmicks", and Lana's softer and calmer music was accompanied by "Somebody that I used to know", "We are young", "Pumped up Kicks", "Lights", etc. Lana's influence on the aesthetics was profound, something compared to Gaga's influence on fashion and fashion covers in 2009-2011, and the viciousness with which Lorde commented on her in 2013 proves her relevance.  

2. They both helped sustain the "album" genre in the times when various artists struggled to find an answer to the question of why they needed to put out albums when they could just deal with putting single after single. Lady Gaga and Adele in 2011 contributed to the rise of 2011 physical records sales despite the evident irrevocable trend of physical sales demise, while Lana Del Rey contributed to the revitalization of vinyl sales. 

What's even funnier is that they had a similar record structure: The Fame + The Fame Monster + Born This Way does mirror Born to Die + Paradise + Ultraviolence, and their next projects (ARTPOP and Honeymoon) underperformed according to their own commercial  standards. Both, The Fame and Born To Die turned out to be one of the longest charting albums recorded by female artists in the 21 century. 

3.  Lady Gaga had a stronger influence on the habits of stardom and the industry of mass entertainment, while Lana Del Rey reached the universal meme-fame and became a Tumblr/internet figure in a way few others have managed to, considering her inspiring longevity. 

alsemanche
18 minutes ago, Meat said:

I mean you guys can make fun but that won’t change what actual music journalists think :poot:

Not everything published by journalists is true :poot: you know, the same journalists that dragged ARTPOP and worship mediocre artists on the daily :poot: 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

ANTI WP
1 hour ago, Mister Gaga said:

I'd say that Lana has had more influence as a musician, while Gaga as a performer/entertainer

This

LadyEnigma

Genuinely depends on the genre, Lana essentially created these Alt. artists but Gaga is a ****ing pop icon. 

They are both extremely important to the current state of music.

enissa11
2 hours ago, NightStar said:

1. They both rose to music stardom as a part of some bigger trend.

Lady Gaga belonged with the EDM revolution of late 00s (together with David Guetta and Black Eyed Peas), and her musical choices obviously enriched the movement and made it more influential

When gaga came out it wasn't already a trend at all, if anything, she was the one who propelled the movement that created the trend, just dance was the first dance song with a four on the floor beat to top the charts in a long time, the EDM songs of the black eyed peas and David guetta that hit came a couple months later. Just Dance has been credited as the song that put four on the floor on the radio again, gaga tells how they refused to play just dance for almost a full year until it became a hit because it was considered "too dance", Jimmy Iovine the CEO of interscope also tells that it was thanks to new online marketing strategies interscope made to promote the song on youtube and myspace mostly because radio didn't help until it began to hit, they even made a hip hop poker face version for the radio in fear that just dance would't do well, but the dance version was the one that hit shortly after just dance too..

Mad Architect of Light

21 minutes ago, Monstruous said:

Look at today’s pop artists and you have your answer sweetie 

that's what i did sweet tea :iamfair:

BlingNotTheMusic

Lana sweet tea, I'm so sorry :lana:

Huge Lana fan, since BTD, but Gaga's INFLUENCE and relevancy is unmatched. Just look at the longevity of The Fame, STILL dominating the dance charts 14 years later. And it's a debut album...

Might I remind you that Lana did not invent sad girl bops. For that we gotta go back to Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, etc. As much as I love Lana, her music, and her artistry, she's a continuation of the angsty girl trend. Sure, Gaga took a lot from Madonna's book, but she turned it on its head and brought dark pop into the limelight.

I could go on and on, but yeah, Gaga is miles ahead of Lana when it comes to influence. Sorry Elizabeth :reductive:

1 minute ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

Lana sweet tea, I'm so sorry :lana:

Huge Lana fan, since BTD, but Gaga's INFLUENCE and relevancy is unmatched. Just look at the longevity of The Fame, STILL dominating the dance charts 14 years later. And it's a debut album...

Might I remind you that Lana did not invent sad girl bops. For that we gotta go back to Alanis Morissette, Garbage, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, etc. As much as I love Lana, her music, and her artistry, she's a continuation of the angsty girl trend. Sure, Gaga took a lot from Madonna's book, but she turned it on its head and brought dark pop into the limelight.

I could go on and on, but yeah, Gaga is miles ahead of Lana when it comes to influence. Sorry Elizabeth :reductive:

"Lana Del Rey turn into the most influential artist in pop" 

Would Taylor lie? i think we all know the answer to that :river:

SevenWonder

I like Lana. She's cool. I love a ton of her songs.

But Gaga is one of - if not the most - discussed, hated, loved, emulated, discounted pop stars ever. She's box office, baby. 

BlingNotTheMusic
2 minutes ago, dojo said:

"Lana Del Rey turn into the most influential artist in pop" 

Would Taylor lie? i think we all know the answer to that :river:

You don't want my opinion on Taylor :river:

Her music lacks so much depth and substance 

Archived