politics

Ukraine

LilyLark

Featured Posts

LilyLark

Terrell is an interesting follow who lives in Ukraine. He doesn't actually write on war much—he focuses more on domestic politics/human interest/etc.—but he has some valuable insights on Russian colonialism. It's something that has baffled me, tbh. I see some leftists and right wingers (weird combo) defending Russia and bringing up American imperialism and Ukraine's issue with white supremacy and it's like....multiple things can be true:

1) America and Russia are both imperialist countries.

2) Ukraine, Russia, and America all have serious issues with white supremacy.

3) One can oppose getting (more) involved with a foreign war without blaming Ukraine, who has already been invaded by Russia and is now facing total conquest. Ukraine is the victim, a deeply flawed country, but still the victim.

4) One can also think NATO is an issue while acknowledging Russia is being hypocritical about it. For example, they talk about borders when they've literally surrounded 3/4s of Ukraine at this point. And Ukraine publicly declared themselves as non-aligned-despite what Ro Khanna said (tbf, he later backtracked)-for many years up until Russia had already invaded them....only then did the retract their public statement of non-alignment.

IDK, I personally don't want the US to get more involved beyond sending medical equipment, etc. but I also am really bothered by people basically being apologists for Russia and denying that straight up colonialism is going on. The head of RT literally said a few months ago that Ukraine needed to make Russian an official language, etc....textbook colonialism. A prominent anti-war twitter account I follow (because of their activity on protesting the former war in Afghanistan) basically put out a blast that...sort of blamed Ukraine for having been invaded and facing future invasion. And that bothered me, because they talked about American imperialism but it's like crickets and no cry of "stop the war, stop Russian imperialism" nowadays.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Emvee

I don’t recommend that you follow leftists who defend Russia or China in situations like this. It signals that they’re either bad actors or totally misguided. They may be what is referred to as a “tankie.” Though the US does engage in economic imperialism, it doesn’t compare to the straight up annexation of sovereign countries that Russia and China threaten. We can have these discussions on online forums and the fact that opposition is allowed to exist in the United States is a testament to our democracy. It’s not a bad thing.  

Edited by Eriq
  • Like 9
AnnaNicoleSmith

Nah this is extremely bad analysis of geopolitics, so bad, really really bad :rip:

LilyLark
11 minutes ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

Nah this is extremely bad analysis of geopolitics, so bad, really really bad :rip:

What do you disagree with? I mean, I can't see how else to frame it but as colonization...many journalists and native Ukrainians frame it as such, too.

• Like 1
Benji
9 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

What do you disagree with? I mean, I can't see how else to frame it but as colonization...many journalists and native Ukrainians frame it as such, too.

The issue with the argument put forth is it disregards the other moves Russia has done to destabilise Europe and the rest of the world.  The Ukraine situation is a single factor in Russia’s attack on the west.  It’s ultimate goal (like China) is to dominate the world, it’s not about reclaiming small parts of land they believe belongs to them, it’s one long power play.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 2
flyaway

The issue is that Russia is becoming the new WWII Germany and Putin is no far from that dictator who caused all that disaster way back.

• Like 4
RahrahWitch

Who's trying to defend Russia? It's plain as day that they're the aggressors in this situation.

• Like 2
LilyLark
8 minutes ago, RahrahWitch said:

Who's trying to defend Russia? It's plain as day that they're the aggressors in this situation.

A lot of people, weirdly enough, on political twitter (including some journalists).

Edited by LilyLark
  • Shook 1
KORG

Omg the things Putin will do for attention. We get it, you didn't get a chromatica ball date, no need to be salty.

• LMAO 5
Mindblown

So if Russia goes to war with Ukraine, do you think other countries will just forget about COVID?

Separately, do you think this could lead to a world war?

Neroneau
2 minutes ago, Mindblown said:

So if Russia goes to war with Ukraine, do you think other countries will just forget about COVID?

Separately, do you think this could lead to a world war?

It would if China believes we are distracted and invades Taiwan.. but that’s just my opinion :/ 

why must we experience world war and paninis  in our 20s lmao 

RAMROD

Things seems to be going to be really bad cos I read  countries diplomats and thwir families have started  getting the order to get out of Ukraine. :bradley:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ paradise lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
thatfoxyfeeling

I just find it hard to believe that we're discussing Russia invading Ukraine like it's already happened. It's concerning that the world knows this is going to happen, it's inevitable and yet we're expected to turn a blind  eye? :wtf:

Luc

I'm very sad about the whole situation. I went to Kyiv in August and fell in love with the city, and I came back in October and stayed for 4 weeks in December. I made lots of friends and got to see the growing gay and queer scenes of the city. I also have a flight transfer in Kyiv this wednesday (rip).

But more to the point: people don't see that Ukraine is a poor country. It has a GDP per capita of $3500 (aka: the average Ukrainian produces about $300 in economic value per month), comparable to countries like Syria and Bolivia, lower than Namibia. Minimum wages are a bit higher than $1 per hour. The reason why is that Ukraine has sky-high inequality, with billionaire oligarchs who have their own media empires, monopolies and even political parties. Putin wants Ukraine to remain a failed state. The only way Ukraine can become a success story is with a democratic path. It's never going to be possible to make Ukraine successful if they align with Russia. For example, the current Ukrainian president banned the TV channels of one of the biggest oligarchs a few months ago and this oligarch is also a big friend of Putin. Russia heavily opposed this move, of course. Because Putin himself is an oligarch and his entire system is based on getting as much money to his crony friends while keeping the population barely happy.

The thing is, Russia can't let Ukraine become a success story with a European, democratic path because Russian people will notice and demand change from Putin. A successful Ukraine is a direct threat to his whole system. So for Putin, Ukraine must remain a poor country led by oligarchs. Now is one of the last chances for achieving that because Ukraine is militarizing since 2014 and they may be strong enough within a couple of years to fight off the Russians or at least inflict damage to Russia large enough that such a war would be hugely unpopular among the Russian popupation.

Anyways, I hope all will be fine and I'll meet some of you in the bathroom stalls of K41 this summer lmao

Edited by Luc
CannaeDrive
4 hours ago, flyaway said:

The issue is that Russia is becoming the new WWII Germany and Putin is no far from that dictator who caused all that disaster way back.

Indeed, Vlad "Adolph" Putin is a dangerous revanchist. Also, I can't believe people taking seriously those Internet clowns AKA "tankies".

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas
  • Like 1