💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Jay-Z calls to end of rap lyrics being used as criminal evidence

Teletubby

Featured Posts

HuffsAhoy

It's absolutely vile, but unsurprising, that the justice system is using song lyrics as evidence for crimes. I genuinely didn't even know that was a legitimate practice :wtfga: This part of the article says all you need to know about the racial biased at play here: 

He previously pointed out that no one believes Johnny Cash “shot a man in Reno just to watch him die” or that David Byrne is a “psycho killer,” but over and over, rap musicians involved in criminal cases face the prospect, or reality, of having their lyrics used against them in front of criminal juries.

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FentyGa said:

once again, twinks on GGD criticising rap

you dont understand this genre. this genre does not work the same way pop music does. this genre is not for you. you don’t get a say, and your opinion on rap is not valid. period.

this is about our communities, the law and public policies. we have every right. 

once again, a gagadaily user using quick lil' stereotypes like "twink" to avoid a real conversation about the violence conveyed in a lot of rap music. 

36 minutes ago, HiddenWeirdo said:

Okay, this „clapping back but not checking facts“ needs to stop! 

As I said before I posted Robin Thickes lyrics as well so THIS IS ABOUT RAP MUSIC NOT BLACK PEOPLE. 

Those lyrics PRIMARILY are based on women being objectified and sexualized. 

Correct me if im wrong but isnt most rap music made by black people so it kinda of is about black people 

I really hope the end will come then! I think that people forget that rap music is far more unfiltered than a 3:30 Pop Song that was made for the radio. (Meaning that not every Song may ‚age’ well).

Rap Music is used to cope, unite and communicate in communities that share similar feelings. Just like you don‘t take any Pop Songs at surface level (Madonna didn‘t shoot someone, Gaga doesn‘t have a body in her car), we shouldn‘t do the same with Rap.

On that note it seems weird to me, that when Jay-Z and various other musicians talk about a cultural thing where Rap Lyrics (who are mostly written by Black Artists) are being used as evidence in court (which favors white people), people start talking about some lyrics or artists that may said xyz. It‘s not the current issue at hand and weird.

⟡ ⋆ ËšïœĄâ‹†đŸŠąâ‹† ËšïœĄâ‹†âŸĄ

Joaco95
41 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

Look at the comment i initially responded to and maybe you'll understand the conversation.

Pop music has some raunchy ass music but that doesn't mean is bad music.

Some of these rappers/hip hop artists have changed their lyrics over time tho 

gumzy3000

I wonder to what extent rap songs can be used for evidence? For example, someone gets murdered or rap*d and there is clear evidence of this happening and there is proof in some song lyrics of said event, why can't that be used against the rapper? We shouldn't rely solely on the song but with some additional evidence, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use anything really as evidence in court? Also, we shouldn't limit this to just rap but any musical genre.

I am not understanding how this is racist... we are talking about real crimes and victims. If there is a crime, we should find proof and evidence wherever possible. 

trolly troll troll

StarstruckIllusion
2 hours ago, HiddenWeirdo said:

„Our lyrics are a creative form of self-expression and entertainment – just like any other genre. We want our words to be recognized as art rather than being weaponized to get convictions in court 
“

Some examples:

-„You the hottest b*tch in this place“

-„What rhymes with hug me?“

-„Let me be the one you back that ass up to“

-“Had a b*tch, but she ain't bad as you“

-„You know how many hot b*tches I own?“

-„I paid for them titties“

Etc. 

Why don‘t they just process and mature in their writing skills instead? :bear:

Ahem:

[Bridge]
I'm not loose, I like to party, let's get lost in your Ferrari
Not psychotic or dramatic, I like boys and that is that, it's
Love it when you call me legs, in the morning buy me eggs
Watch your heart when we're together, boys like you love me forever

also:

[Pre-Chorus]
'Cause all I ever wanted was love
Hey yeah, hey yeah (Ooh-ooh)
Hey yeah, hey yeah
All I ever wanted was love
Hey yeah, hey yeah, hey yeah (Hey yeah, hey yeah)

[Chorus]
I want your stupid love, love
I want your stupid love, love
(Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh)

Lead single after Shallow btw

StarstruckIllusion
31 minutes ago, Fish said:

this is about our communities, the law and public policies. we have every right. 

once again, a gagadaily user using quick lil' stereotypes like "twink" to avoid a real conversation about the violence conveyed in a lot of rap music. 

what’s y’all’s next move? trynna ban GTA 5 bc it’s too violent?? boycotting Fast N Furious bc it promotes violent driving? why do you only speak up when it’s related to rap music lmao y’all are embarrassing.

and spear the “it’s about me” virtue signalling - you’ve already lost the argument + we could say the same thing back to you.

how one lets art impact their lives is a personal choice, and not a responsibility of the artist. get it together

Rolling Stones:

Under my thumb, she's the sweetest pet in the world 

It's down to me, the way she talks when she's spoken to

Tom Jones:

Sexbomb, sexbomb, yeah, you're a sexbomb (uh, huh)
You can give it to me when I need to come along (give it to me)
Sexbomb, sexbomb, you're my sexbomb
And, baby, you can turn me on
Baby you can turn me on

Taylor Swift:

But she's better known for the things she does, on the mattress.

Guns N Roses:

Turn around b*tch I got a use for you, besides you ain't got nothin' better to do, and I'm bored

Katy Perry:

I wanna see your peacock

Liam Payne:

My girl, she like it both ways. She like the way it all taste. Couple more, we'll call it foreplay. No, no, I don't discriminate.

Lovin' the way that she's turning you on. Switching the lanes like a Bugatti Sport. Nothing but luck that she got me involved, yeah. Flipping that body, go head, I go tails. Sharing that body like it's our last meal. One and a two and a three, that's for real.

Conclusion:

Sexism is everywhere, so stop trashing rap and rappers :patrizia:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Chesescake
45 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

For example, someone gets murdered or rap*d and there is clear evidence of this happening and there is proof in some song lyrics of said event, why can't that be used against the rapper?

Maybe you're right, but so far I only heard one case has that situation

Sneaky Oliver
6 minutes ago, River said:

Katy Perry:

I wanna see your peacock

:air: I was not even going to comment on this thread but girl how is Peacock a misogynistic song? It’s an innocent bop about seeing somebody’s d*ck for the first time 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Chesescake
46 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

I am not understanding how this is racist... we are talking about real crimes and victims. If there is a crime, we should find proof and evidence wherever possible. 

I think now days even though hip hop is still focus on explicit topic, new generation are not as credible and authentic as old one used to be when it comes to topic like this due to change of environment. Some of them were just made for entertainment, but the nature of explicit will let them easily get misused (especially when the racist involved consider most rapper we known were black.)

Hell, even old generation had fake gangsta rappers, so I would said in the majority of time used lyrics to against artists themselves is not the best or wise decision. Even though the lyrics may seen as problematic, sexist, or explicit. Even though explicit focus is still current trend.

HuffsAhoy
1 hour ago, gumzy3000 said:

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use anything really as evidence in court?

There is a reason "just anything" shouldn't be used in cases. Circumstantial evidence has been used in the justice system for years to send innocent people to jail for crimes they didn't commit.

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Agunimon

People are really missing the point of this post and instead focusing on songs with a lack of lyrical substance whose users predominantly, ironically, listen to music that does the same thing.

Pop and rap music have a lot in common with eachother lyrically when you look past the production methods and types of beats used in them. The majority of mainstream pop and mainstream rap music are lyrically lacking. Criticizing mainstream rap's lyrical content is tremendously hypocritical...

Its also not the point of this movement.

The point of this movement is the same as "video games don't promote violence" as rap is seen as a violent genre that promotes violent acts. These artists are advocating that that is not the case. Whether an artist raps about ****ing women, getting money, doing some drug, etc. is not the point.

Its that "This person listens to <name of artist>. That must mean they are guilty of this crime they are being prosecuted for." being used in the criminal system should not be a reflection on the persons or the music.

What someone listens to should merely be limited to their personal taste in what they like to have in their ears rather than how they respond and impact the world.

Archived