MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

science

Great Barrier reef scientist sees hope in coral spawn

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

2058d93999.jpg

The Great Barrier Reef has “given birth” in its annual coral spawn, creating a cacophony of color on the Australian landmark.

Scientists working beneath the waves say they witnessed the event, in which coral simultaneously release sperm and eggs en masse, overnight Tuesday off the coast of Cairns, Queensland, hailing it as a positive sign the reef was able to regenerate despite ecological threats.

619e33d2dd4f4.image.jpg?resize=1200,675

“Nothing makes people happier than new life — and coral spawning is the world’s biggest proof of that,” Australian marine biologist Gareth Phillips, who had a front row seat to this year’s coral spawn, said in statement via Queensland Tourism and Events.

Philips, from research center Reef Teach, and his team of marine biologists, divers, students and photographers dived to the bottom of the ocean to capture footage of coral off the coast of Cairns, Queensland.

urn-publicid-ap-org-c5cde56d25643a8501a6

Coral spawning occurs once a year when corals release tiny balls containing sperm and eggs into the water. These float to the surface where they break open, releasing both sperm and eggs to bump into each other and cross-fertilize.

The annual coral spawn usually takes place from October to November, but timings can vary due to factors like water temperature and currents. The date of the spawn can also fluctuate across the length and breadth of the 2,300 kilometer (1,429 mile)-long Great Barrier Reef.

urn-publicid-ap-org-c5cde56d25643a8501a6

Source - https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/great-barrier-reef-coral-spawn-scn/index.htmlhttps://www.deeperblue.com/great-barrier-reef-scientist-sees-hope-in-coral-spawn/

Unable to post since January 3rd 2022
  • Love 4
  • Shook 1
Joshie S

Omg, the second time my home town has been mentioned on GGD this week :bradley:

I have lived most of my adult life in Cairns, so having the Great Barrier Reef to visit every day or every other day, was so magical. Diving or snorkeling and seeing the beautiful colour, often times turtles swimming through.. it's so beautiful.:kiss:

I'm so happy that the reef is still thriving after many years of doubt due to climate change.:enigma:

The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥