💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Harassment to Journalists/Critics because of HoG reviews.

ManuelColon

Featured Posts

ManuelColon

Since the House of Gucci opinions (review embargo hasn't been lifted) have started to come out, some journalists/critics have received plenty of harassment and hate comments coming from "fans", because they didn't like the movie, or Gaga's performance, o because of any negative feeling they shared about it.

These "fans" tend to attack them mainly because they see them as Madonna stans who hate Gaga, and feel they have the right to insult and discriminate them.

I have been wanting to say a few things, but I can't talk to all people who do this, so I'll do it here.

Please stop, not "because it taints the reputation of LMs", but because it's unnecessary, immature, and unacceptable that that kind of behavior is being permitted and accepted, you as individuals should have the capacity to realize that attacking a PERSON WHO IS DOING THEIR JOB is completely wrong, most of us are grown ass men, women, and non binary people, act like that, like an adult.

Negative critics ARE GOING TO COME, the movie is practically a mess and we knew it looked like it, Gaga is going to receive some negative criticism and there are plenty of reasons for it to happen, so don't take reviews personal and don't attack or harass others.

Negative reviews are not lies, if you don't believe them, good for you, you do you, but you don't need or have to insult the person who wrote it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HuffsAhoy
5 minutes ago, ManuelColon said:

the movie is practically a mess

You've seen it already?

Gaga is going to receive some negative criticism and there are plenty of reasons for it

Um, no there isn't. 

Negative reviews are not lies

Wrong. Some are blatant lies put out there to stir the pot and cause drama. 

because it's unnecessary, immature, and unacceptable that that kind of behavior is being permitted and accepted

This is accurate. It's better to move on and ignore the haters. It'll cause people less stress. :vegas:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

flyaway

That's the rather sad and embarrassing part of fanbase/stan culture in general. Not only for Gaga but for other big artists with devoted fans.

I know Gaga had the best intentions to be close to her fans and have that unconditional support system. That's the main reason she's on top today, next to her talent and her tenacity. But it really plays against her as some of her fans can't take any criticism that comes to Gaga's work. So that cult behaviour becomes a messy situation once she does something new, because it is received as an attack to the person when in most cases is not.

ManuelColon
1 minute ago, HuffsAhoy said:

You've seen it already?

Um, no there isn't. 

Wrong. Some are blatant lies put out there to stir the pot and cause drama. 

This is accurate. It's better to move on and ignore the haters. It'll cause people less stress. :vegas:

I have not seen the movie and my comment comes from a general opinion from journalist, critics and pundits, and also from my own opinion based on the trailers we have. The movie has seemed messy from the get go and now we have confirmation that it does not seem to be that great and that it has plenty of issues. However, that does not mean that you can't enjoy it, I'm still very excited to watch it.

Every actor from every movie WILL receive some negative commentary, that is something that can't be avoided, Gaga still has some work she needs to do with her acting and the character is more complex this time, some people will find her like a caricature, some will say she overacts, some will say the accent is distracting, some will say she doesn't show much emotion, and well, those are all things that people have actually said and that is okay! She doesn't have a 20+ years career, she does have to improve and it's great that she is taking these kind of roles that will have her push herself more, if people don't rave about the performance IT'S OKAY.

ManuelColon
6 minutes ago, flyaway said:

That's the rather sad and embarrassing part of fanbase/stan culture in general. Not only for Gaga but for other big artists with devoted fans.

I know Gaga had the best intentions to be close to her fans and have that unconditional support system. That's the main reason she's on top today, next to her talent and her tenacity. But it really plays against her as some of her fans can't take any criticism that comes to Gaga's work. So that cult behaviour becomes a messy situation once she does something new, because it is received as an attack to the person when in most cases is not.

And this time we don't have a movie that is going to receive rave reviews, 88 on Metacritic and 400+ millions on the box office, so the storm is going to be huge once the real reviews come out and the scores end up being really low, but I reject any kind of attack being sent to anyone.

LilyLark

I agree with 90% of this, including the fact that monsters need to leave critics alone and accept that some criticism will come. Moreover, they definitely need to accept that critics generally are professional and not biased against Gaga because they like Madonna (as people on twitter said, flip it around and say people who like Gaga can't review Madonna fairly and Gaga fans would be mad).

However, I will point out two things.

1) If monsters are harassing critics, they won't stop just because someone tells them it's wrong (which is accurate). Pointing out it reflects badly on fans of Gaga and might even hurt Gaga (also true) is probably more effective.

2) Lastly, there likely will be some unfair tweets/reviews (even if some monsters see it all as unfair). However, the world doesn't revolve around Gaga (lol) even if we're all massive fans on here. Film critics and film twitter, in general, often pick on one movie or one performer to be unduly harsh on. If you see people being petty or cruel instead of normal, regular criticism, it's highly unlikely it has anything to do with Madonna and far more likely they are just going the usual bully route that some in the film world do. And to illustrate this...on the HOG reviews page there's a tweet that goes "Sorry, Leto is good/gets laughs."  He's hardly the first, and critics shouldn't have to apologize for liking Leto's performances. But Leto is a "target" on film twitter...much like Rami Malek, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and more. That's not to say there aren't legitimate problems with some of those films-like Green Book and its treatment of racism-but the point is some (a small percentage) of critics get hysterically negative over a film or an actor every single awards season. And it is what it is...

Sandrology

@ManuelColon I in generall agree with your opinion, that it isn't correct for a fanbase to harass people that dont agree with their negative opinion. The fans want to push their artist further but what it actually does, is shine a dark light back on the artist themself.

The title misleads, to a objective topic, unfortunately, this isn't the case. I would have prefereed this thread to stay objective without your opinion on the movie, but the issue itself. I woudn't have brought in your personal opinon against gagas acting skills just baised on other critics or the trailers so far. But I'm glad you opened up an important topic.

flyaway
6 minutes ago, ManuelColon said:

And this time we don't have a movie that is going to receive rave reviews, 88 on Metacritic and 400+ millions on the box office, so the storm is going to be huge once the real reviews come out and the scores end up being really low, but I reject any kind of attack being sent to anyone.

I would wait for it to be released and to see it before commenting on it.

From what I've seen so far, it will definitely be entertaining and it has an all star cast. In any way, it should be celebrated for what it is and as Gaga's second major role in a film. We can support it also have an opinion about it.

A critic's review shouldn't condition an opinion or a sentiment towards a work that you may enjoy or not. That's very subjective and personal.

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, ManuelColon said:

It's not going to get universal raves, but I really don't think it's going to be 'really low'. The reviews will likely be mixed or mixed-positive. Just like some fans have unrealistic expectations; others are being too pessimistic. Vanity Fair, Variety, and a few other outlets said Gaga is in contention for Best Actress. The Wrap/Indiewire wrote it up as being polarizing, but that Gaga and Leto were singled out for praise. It's highly unlikely the major outlets would frame it that way-when they hear the buzz, too, more than we do-if they thought it would end up critically panned. Moreover, the studio is doing a millions screenings for AMPAS voters now (again, not something studios do if a film is going to be critically panned).

Several journalists, from prominent outlets, liked tweets saying it would be the Bohemian Rhapsody/Vice/Bombshell/Inherent Vice of the season (60-75% on RT sort of situation).

LilyLark
21 minutes ago, HuffsAhoy said:

This.

ManuelColon
4 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I agree with 90% of this, including the fact that monsters need to leave critics alone and accept that some criticism will come. Moreover, they definitely need to accept that critics generally are professional and not biased against Gaga because they like Madonna (as people on twitter said, flip it around and say people who like Gaga can't review Madonna fairly and Gaga fans would be mad).

However, I will point out two things.

1) If monsters are harassing critics, they won't stop just because someone tells them it's wrong (which is accurate). Pointing out it reflects badly on fans of Gaga and might even hurt Gaga (also true) is probably more effective.

2) Lastly, there likely will be some unfair tweets/reviews (even if some monsters see it all as unfair). However, the world doesn't revolve around Gaga (lol) even if we're all massive fans on here. Film critics and film twitter, in general, often pick on one movie or one performer to be unduly harsh on. If you see people being petty or cruel instead of normal, regular criticism, it's highly unlikely it has anything to do with Madonna and far more likely they are just going the usual bully route that some in the film world do. And to illustrate this...on the HOG reviews page there's a tweet that goes "Sorry, Leto is good/gets laughs."  He's hardly the first, and critics shouldn't have to apologize for liking Leto's performances. But Leto is a "target" on film twitter...much like Rami Malek, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and more. That's not to say there aren't legitimate problems with some of those films-like Green Book and its treatment of racism-but the point is some (a small percentage) of critics get hysterically negative over a film or an actor every single awards season. And it is what it is...

Absolutely! Good way of saying it, thank you âœŒđŸ»

We are receiving a film that seems to be very flawed and that is going to reflect on final reviews and box office, we have to expect negative reviews to come its way and it's okay if there are, not everything Gaga touches is going to be a 10/10.

Fame IV

Well, stop caring for the damn useless RT score and enjoy the movie. People really have free time...

A Star is Born ⭐

Applepear

Omg EXACTLY. Nearly every movie has some negative reviews, can we just accept that and not bully people just doing their job. 

RenegAde
31 minutes ago, ManuelColon said:

the movie is practically a mess and we knew it looked like it,

You could have started with this and saved me the pain of reading this unnecessary piece. the negative reviews are so few and far between  that it makes this thread seem very ingenuine to me

Archived