Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Scream (2022) *OUT NOW*

Daenerys

Featured Posts

Scream earned 85 MLN $ internationally in 10 days ❤️ Congratz!!

it’s probably going to close at 120-125 MLN $ 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ghost Face

I just saw Scream 2022 and I really enjoyed it. Scream is one of my favorite horror franchises because despite their humorous & critical take on horror movies, they still manage to capture the feeling that events like that could happen in real life. That's what makes these movies entertaining & terrifying at the same time. Read my honest review here. Beware: Spoilers!

b8a6ac1f3dbc25c1202fc3286cd9124b312227a9

THE OPENING 

The opening scene of Scream 2022 ticks several boxes. As we know from the other movies, the opening always perfectly sets the tone of the movie. Scream 2022 gave me instant goosebumps when the phone rang and the iconic voice of Roger L. Jackson asked: what's your favorite scary movie?
As in all parts of this franchise, the creators only need one scene to perfectly integrate the build-up of suspense. Despite that, it felt less iconic than I expected it to be. Maybe that has to do with my expectations, but a lot of it also has to do with the marketing of the movie. We saw about 80% of the scene already in the trailers and it was more or less clear that Tara, played by You's Jenna Ortega, would most likely survive the attack. The opening was a nice homage to the original, with clever nods like Tara playing with a kitchen knife exactly like Casey (Drew Barrymore) did in the original. So the makers perfectly created nostalgia and suspense, but (to me) they lacked a so-called moment of gag.

35e15141a5f9daf4483f81cbf7b0816beec14ec3

CHARACTERS, CAST & STORY

As mentioned, I'm thrilled that they've recast Roger L. Jackson as the voice of one of the most iconic villains ever. The voice is what makes Ghostface so terrifying. In principle, the voice in combination with the costume is already enough to get the audience on the edge of their seats. Scream is one of those unique examples where the voice casting simply couldn't have been better.

A so-called Scream requel marks also (thankfully!) the return of news reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox), ex-Sheriff Dewey Riley (David Arquette) and the world's fearless 'final girl' Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell). Fans of the franchise can attest that these characters were simply necessary for the story in the universe of Scream to be continued. And despite the solid cast of newcomers, if the original three hadn't been added to the story, this wouldn't be a worthy part of the Scream franchise.

It's a shame Sidney comes into the picture quite late, Campbell is a masterful actress and wonderful to watch. Still, in my opinion, this was a smart move by the makers. Scream is a rare example where the villain is 'human' and kinda realistic. Sure, Ghostface takes certain blows during the films where you think: 'I wouldn't have gotten up after that'. And yes, he always gets up one last time when you think he is dead, but hey; it remains just horror. What I mean is that the ones behind the mask don't have unrealistic superpowers and always end up dying. Due to the (semi) realistic powers and mortality of the villain, I expect the same for the heroes. Sid, Dewey and Gale have survived many attacks in the past four films. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they survived! But Sidney surviving yet another series of attacks, it would be predictable and less and less believable. Why the hell would she go to Woodsboro anyway, she has four movies of examples what awaits her there.
I think the writers gave her now the perfect reason to do: Dewey's death. She got a credible motive to return and to confront Ghostface once again.
Gale was forced to do because of her job. Only Dewey decides quite quickly to go to Woodsboro, but this fits his character more: it is in his nature to help. 

It was almost inevitable to let one of the three OG's take their last breath in this part. Dewey, who almost immediately decided to go to Woodsboro, pays the price for that. His death made the credibility increased and showed us that our heroes aren't untouchable. However, Dewey's death scene had little to no shock value to me and that is again due to the trailers. We already saw a shot of Gale in panic, and that made Dewey's death quite predictable.
And although Gale is in shock and Sidney comes straight to town after his death, we don't see or hear any of the grieving process. Both ladies had a long and emotinal history with the man, but they turn (way to quickly) to the order of the day: killing Ghostface. It felt rushed and I wanted to see more about how his death had impact on the  ladies. Anyway, the killing itself was a smart and brave choice.

original.gif

In Scream 2022 we also get to know a whole new group of characters. These talented newcomers did a great job and their acting performances were generally strong. Also, the way these characters are related to already existing characters of the franchise is very cleverly done. However, some of those characters lack background information and some of them had almost no development. This was the reason not every death had an impact, because if you don't know a character, you won't miss it either. I'm not completely sold that this new cast can carry the franchise on their own and think that for a possible sixth part of Scream Sidney & Gale are once again necessary to succeed.

The big reveal of who wore the mask was epic. Sure, the answer was pretty obvious but the vibe, the acting, the setting and of course the nostalgic location of the third act where phenomenal. For me the big question of this film was not: who wears the mask? But: what is their motive? And with that one the makers have outdone themselves. To let the motif come out of stab fans looking to give the franchise a new lease of life, is out of this world clever storywriting. It's funny and meta (Scream 2022 itself is an attempt to put the franchise back on the map) but shows at the same time a big social theme; what toxic people can do out the love for a franchise. After the release of Scream 2022 the fans of the Scream franchise are divided. Some love it, some hate it. Those who hate it will make that clear in the most hateful and disrespectful way by (online) berating or threatening people who where involved. Those fans are exactly showing what the makers of Scream 2022 tried to expose with Ghostface's motive: the toxic things people can do out of love for a franchise. To me that's proof Scream 2022 is not only a good & worthy movie,
but that it is also a smart one; exactly like the Wes ones. He would be proud.

waiting-ghostface.gif

It's an honor.

BlingNotTheMusic
On 1/19/2022 at 5:56 PM, FunkYou said:

Yeah, like the few last comments said, it was too meta even for Scream. Like... Scream always broke the 4th wall but here they broke the 3rd as well and it was hard to feel like it was not fiction... and in many ways i felt like watching a fan fiction btw

That's very modern though. The "extra-ness" and "everything in extremes" of Gen Z has infiltrated fashion, music, movies, video games, etc. So they had to go the extra level to match where culture is going. 

Just my 2 cents :huntyga:

BlingNotTheMusic
1 hour ago, Alice 911 said:

I just saw Scream 2022 and I really enjoyed it. Scream is one of my favorite horror franchises because despite their humorous & critical take on horror movies, they still manage to capture the feeling that events like that could happen in real life. That's what makes these movies entertaining & terrifying at the same time. Read my honest review here. Beware: Spoilers!

b8a6ac1f3dbc25c1202fc3286cd9124b312227a9

THE OPENING 

The opening scene of Scream 2022 ticks several boxes. As we know from the other movies, the opening always perfectly sets the tone of the movie. Scream 2022 gave me instant goosebumps when the phone rang and the iconic voice of Roger L. Jackson asked: what's your favorite scary movie?
As in all parts of this franchise, the creators only need one scene to perfectly integrate the build-up of suspense. Despite that, it felt less iconic than I expected it to be. Maybe that has to do with my expectations, but a lot of it also has to do with the marketing of the movie. We saw about 80% of the scene already in the trailers and it was more or less clear that Tara, played by You's Jenna Ortega, would most likely survive the attack. The opening was a nice homage to the original, with clever nods like Tara playing with a kitchen knife exactly like Casey (Drew Barrymore) did in the original. So the makers perfectly created nostalgia and suspense, but (to me) they lacked a so-called moment of gag.

35e15141a5f9daf4483f81cbf7b0816beec14ec3

CHARACTERS, CAST & STORY

As mentioned, I'm thrilled that they've recast Roger L. Jackson as the voice of one of the most iconic villains ever. The voice is what makes Ghostface so terrifying. In principle, the voice in combination with the costume is already enough to get the audience on the edge of their seats. Scream is one of those unique examples where the voice casting simply couldn't have been better.

A so-called Scream requel marks also (thankfully!) the return of news reporter Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox), ex-Sheriff Dewey Riley (David Arquette) and the world's fearless 'final girl' Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell). Fans of the franchise can attest that these characters were simply necessary for the story in the universe of Scream to be continued. And despite the solid cast of newcomers, if the original three hadn't been added to the story, this wouldn't be a worthy part of the Scream franchise.

It's a shame Sidney comes into the picture quite late, Campbell is a masterful actress and wonderful to watch. Still, in my opinion, this was a smart move by the makers. Scream is a rare example where the villain is 'human' and kinda realistic. Sure, Ghostface takes certain blows during the films where you think: 'I wouldn't have gotten up after that'. And yes, he always gets up one last time when you think he is dead, but hey; it remains just horror. What I mean is that the ones behind the mask don't have unrealistic superpowers and always end up dying. Due to the (semi) realistic powers and mortality of the villain, I expect the same for the heroes. Sid, Dewey and Gale have survived many attacks in the past four films. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they survived! But Sidney surviving yet another series of attacks, it would be predictable and less and less believable. Why the hell would she go to Woodsboro anyway, she has four movies of examples what awaits her there.
I think the writers gave her now the perfect reason to do: Dewey's death. She got a credible motive to return and to confront Ghostface once again.
Gale was forced to do because of her job. Only Dewey decides quite quickly to go to Woodsboro, but this fits his character more: it is in his nature to help. 

It was almost inevitable to let one of the three OG's take their last breath in this part. Dewey, who almost immediately decided to go to Woodsboro, pays the price for that. His death made the credibility increased and showed us that our heroes aren't untouchable. However, Dewey's death scene had little to no shock value to me and that is again due to the trailers. We already saw a shot of Gale in panic, and that made Dewey's death quite predictable.
And although Gale is in shock and Sidney comes straight to town after his death, we don't see or hear any of the grieving process. Both ladies had a long and emotinal history with the man, but they turn (way to quickly) to the order of the day: killing Ghostface. It felt rushed and I wanted to see more about how his death had impact on the  ladies. Anyway, the killing itself was a smart and brave choice.

original.gif

In Scream 2022 we also get to know a whole new group of characters. These talented newcomers did a great job and their acting performances were generally strong. Also, the way these characters are related to already existing characters of the franchise is very cleverly done. However, some of those characters lack background information and some of them had almost no development. This was the reason not every death had an impact, because if you don't know a character, you won't miss it either. I'm not completely sold that this new cast can carry the franchise on their own and think that for a possible sixth part of Scream Sidney & Gale are once again necessary to succeed.

The big reveal of who wore the mask was epic. Sure, the answer was pretty obvious but the vibe, the acting, the setting and of course the nostalgic location of the third act where phenomenal. For me the big question of this film was not: who wears the mask? But: what is their motive? And with that one the makers have outdone themselves. To let the motif come out of stab fans looking to give the franchise a new lease of life, is out of this world clever storywriting. It's funny and meta (Scream 2022 itself is an attempt to put the franchise back on the map) but shows at the same time a big social theme; what toxic people can do out the love for a franchise. After the release of Scream 2022 the fans of the Scream franchise are divided. Some love it, some hate it. Those who hate it will make that clear in the most hateful and disrespectful way by (online) berating or threatening people who where involved. Those fans are exactly showing what the makers of Scream 2022 tried to expose with Ghostface's motive: the toxic things people can do out of love for a franchise. To me that's proof Scream 2022 is not only a good & worthy movie,
but that it is also a smart one; exactly like the Wes ones. He would be proud.

waiting-ghostface.gif

You're such an icon :pray:

I loved it too and couldn't ask for anything more. My only criticism was the logistics of the killer(s?) but looking back, that's kinda been a theme since the 2nd film. The first one was the only real believable one. 

HookerOnAChurch

My screening is about to begin in 5 minutes.. I'm freaking excited :excited2:

BlingNotTheMusic
40 minutes ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

My screening is about to begin in 5 minutes.. I'm freaking excited :excited2:

Get ready for TONS of self referencing and horror film lovers galore :heart::applause:

HookerOnAChurch

Scream 5 is one of the best sequels of recent years, Wes Craven recovers with intelligence and irony the irreverent, self-quoting and metaphilmic spirit of the original work, enriching and perhaps even strengthening his reflections on the great stories of cinema. A satisfactory title also in terms of form, for a Scream that has never been so violent and bloody. The return of Ghostface will surprise you, i promise 

Scared Movie GIF

to me it's a 8/10 

Married the Night

Saw is a second time this weekend. Better with a second viewing. This sequel is GOOD.

23 hours ago, WheresMy911Alice said:

That's very modern though. The "extra-ness" and "everything in extremes" of Gen Z has infiltrated fashion, music, movies, video games, etc. So they had to go the extra level to match where culture is going. 

Just my 2 cents :huntyga:

Yeah, and guess it works seeing the reviews are mostly good. 

BlingNotTheMusic
4 hours ago, Married the Night said:

Saw is a second time this weekend. Better with a second viewing. This sequel is GOOD.

I'm going with a friend (who's already seen it as well) on Saturday. I can't wait!

BlingNotTheMusic
8 hours ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

Scream 5 is one of the best sequels of recent years, Wes Craven recovers with intelligence and irony the irreverent, self-quoting and metaphilmic spirit of the original work, enriching and perhaps even strengthening his reflections on the great stories of cinema. A satisfactory title also in terms of form, for a Scream that has never been so violent and bloody. The return of Ghostface will surprise you, i promise 

Scared Movie GIF

to me it's a 8/10 

Told you :hor:

sillynate

Kirby lives!!!! 

Kirby-Reed-Scream-4-scream-35955768-245- 

Spoiler

My apologies if this isn’t allowed @ mods. A screen grab from the new movie when a character is watching stuff on YouTube 

FJfJvzgVcAAYzWi?format=jpg&name=medium

FJfJv8NVkAIpjqG?format=jpg&name=medium

FJfJwGnVEAA1ZPF?format=jpg&name=medium

Another one in the movie that I couldn’t find a photo of on the net was when Dewey is texting Gale about the new murder, Kirby is listed under his recent calls.

Archived