society

3D-printed laser-cooked meat may be the future of cooking

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

1632421524-Sep23Polloimpreso3Dcocinalase

The next major innovation in home cooking could be a device that 3D-prints meat and cooks it with ultra-precise lasers. 

That is the long-term vision at Columbia University’s Creative Machines Lab, an engineering group that uses insight from biology to research and develop autonomous systems that “create and are creative.” The engineers have spent years working to digitize and automate the cooking process. 

In 2005, the team began developing the first open-source 3D printer capable of producing multilayered food. Now, the team is focusing on the cooking process. In a study published in npj Science of Food, engineers with the Creative Machines Lab described experiments they conducted on cooking 3D-printed meat with lasers.

The results showed that, compared to oven-broiled meat, the laser-cooked meat shrank less, retained double the moisture, and was even rated as better tasting by two blind taste-testers. 

“We use the cooking pattern that can be easily adjusted to optimize the heating conditions for chicken,” Columbia Engineering noted in a video detailing the experiments. “By tuning parameters such as circle diameter, circle density, path length, randomness, and laser speed, we can optimize the distribution of energy that hits the surface of the food with higher resolution than conventional heating methods.”

d07c2897d3bfc246dba848722b713837.png?ar=

Source- https://bigthink.com/the-future/laser-cooking-meat/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • YAAAS 2
  • Shook 3
sarahb

The lasers seem cool but I already got something that can 3D print meat and other food. It's called a chicken :billie:

Edited by sarahb
  • LMAO 5
Economy

How exactly does it work? What material is it made of? Is it still meat or is it put together using other matter that creates an approximation?

Shipper

Whats the difference with chicken nuggets honestly. :sharon:

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • LMAO 3
  • Thanks 1
moonsago

I don’t know if this also means the printed meat is ‘vegan’ or not but if it is I... cannot with this world anymore. Eating animals is not wrong, ethically, morally, etc, it happens everywhere in nature, thats how life WORKS, life sustains life, the problem is not weather we should be vegan or not, everybody should do whatever they want, the problem is the way meat is being sourced, the mistreatment of the animals, the polution, etc. All these ‘researches’ are so stupid, instead of fixing the problem we look for OTHER sci-fi solutions, just like instead of healing the planet we want to move to another planet like what is WRONG with this worlddd, I literally cannot understand why we can’t take the easy route, the normal one, instead of ALWAYS trying to fight against our own NATURE, own BEING. 

• Like 2
PartySick
4 minutes ago, moonsago said:

I don’t know if this also means the printed meat is ‘vegan’ or not but if it is I... cannot with this world anymore. Eating animals is not wrong, ethically, morally, etc, it happens everywhere in nature, thats how life WORKS, life sustains life, the problem is not weather we should be vegan or not, everybody should do whatever they want, the problem is the way meat is being sourced, the mistreatment of the animals, the polution, etc. All these ‘researches’ are so stupid, instead of fixing the problem we look for OTHER sci-fi solutions, just like instead of healing the planet we want to move to another planet like what is WRONG with this worlddd, I literally cannot understand why we can’t take the easy route, the normal one, instead of ALWAYS trying to fight against our own NATURE, own BEING. 

I think part of the whole vegan thing has to do with consent? Which is why human breast milk is considered vegan but cow milk isn't? :laughga: so yeah, lab grown meat could be considered vegan. And it could be a solution to all those problems you listed too :shrug: 

These scientists are far from stupid. There is no future where all of (or even the majority of) humanity will stop eating animal products. Anyone who thinks so is just naive tbh. If we can find a more humane, less environmentally disastrous way of sourcing that meat then that's a worthwhile endeavor.

And nobody that matters seriously considers moving to a new planet to be a solution to anything :laughga: what we're witnessing right now with space travel is just a bunch of billionaires who got tired of d*ck measuring contests with private planes and yachts so now they're trying to plant the first/most flags on the Moon and Mars.

Grab my crotch, twist my knees, then I'm through. Mike's bad, I'm bad, who are you?
  • Like 1
holy scheisse

I'm ready for my nutrient cube already. Replace food with nutrient cubes. Whatever a nutrient cube is. 

• Thanks 1
salty like sodium
17 minutes ago, moonsago said:

Here's how the concept of scarcity works: there are 8 billion people on this planet, and growing. The more people there are, the less space there is to live, or grow the same meat you want to eat. Making meat scientifically is just a way to solve the problem of having less food available than there are people to feed, since there will come a time where we won't have enough space for everyone + all the food that needs to be grown to keep everyone alive. It's basic logic.

Edited by salty like sodium
  • Thanks 2
FfFfFfFF
6 hours ago, Economy said:

How exactly does it work? What material is it made of? Is it still meat or is it put together using other matter that creates an approximation?

They use a bit of real meat as a starting point (and then just multiply I guess)

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Thanks 1