💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Folklore, one year later

Dr Fudge

Featured Posts

Dr Fudge

As many of you know, Folklore turned a year old recently on the 24th of July. This album truly changed my perspective of Taylor Swift. The maturity that she brought to the table turned me into a fan. 

Now a year later, I’m listening to this album again and realizing how much it helped me through the pandemic. I instantly feel at peace when I listen to it. Chromatica was obviously a huge influence in my life at the time too, but while the dance beats of Chromatica pumped me up, Folklore really encompassed a type of serenity that felt restorative, especially during a time of such turbulence.

I’ve had the record on play a lot over the past week or so and my favorites are still: Seven, August, Mirrorball, My Tears Ricochet, Betty, and Exile. That’s not to say that the remaining tracks don’t hold a soft spot to me as well. But wow, she really made a beautiful album and put it out in the world at a time when we really needed it. 

So how yourselves? Have you revisited the album lately? Does it transport you to a tranquil, peaceful state of mind too?

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

Magic Mike

I dislike it.. wish I could feel something about it but it just bores me to death. To me it feels like white wine and a bad one night stand that won’t go away and just wants to cuddle 

Big Reputation

Folklore is a masterpiece and my favourite pop album in years

When it’s dark outside you’re always the light

Rahrahbitchson
2 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Still haven't listened to one song from it.

You can start with exile 

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙

PunkTheFunk
Just now, Rahrahbitchson said:

You can start with exile 

I already started with exile, now I'm onto depression

54 minutes ago, FudgeyBear said:

I instantly feel at peace when I listen to it. Chromatica was obviously a huge influence in my life at the time too, but while the dance beats of Chromatica pumped me up, Folklore really encompassed a type of serenity that felt restorative, especially during a time of such turbulence.

Totally agree, it's a pandemic record in its purest form and does exactly what everyone needed: it steers clear from evoking the pandemic directly, and instead inspires the kind of escapist introspection one needs in those times.

My fave is probably Invisible String (I could have it on loop for hours), followed closely by Betty. That being said, while Folklore is probably the superior album as a whole from the two, Ivy from Evermore is probably my favorite song across both. That's peak lyricism right there, it's like reading a novel in 3 minutes.

allanrocks

I absolutely love it, and I still listen to it on a daily basis. My fav tracks are My Tears Ricochet, Seven, August, Epiphany and The Lakes. The only tracks I dislike are Mad Woman and Peace.

sillynate

folklore changed my perspective on Taylor too. This line from “epiphany” really speaks to me:

Something med school did not cover
Someone’s daughter someone’s mother
Holding hands through plastic now
Doc I think she’s crashing out
And some things you just can’t speak about 

Covid. Period. 

I really do believe that Taylor is a different person now than she was before. I feel that before (at least from 2012 to 2017) she was really angry with a lot of people but slowly realized that she could channel all this negative energy into positive energy. Especially with the songs YNTCD and The Man. Like there’s bigger issues in this world vs being mad at the people who wronged you.

Another folklore line from the song “invisible string” (beautiful song btw) :

Cold was the steel of my axe to grind for the boys who broke my heart
Now I send their babies presents
Gold was the color of the leaves when I showed you around Centennial Park
Hell was the journey but it brought me heaven

seems to me she’s made up with her ex boyfriends, her bad bloods. Which is a great thing! 

Another thing I noticed is that with her first 7 albums, she’s front and center on the artwork. But with folklore, she’s small and tiny and there’s this big forest (metaphorically, the world) all around her. 

And as a musician, Taylor’s issue with her masters and re-recordings has helped me be aware of the industry I know little about. She’s amazing. I love her. 

Versace

The way she repeaked with that album was phenomenal. People thought 1989 revolutionized her career but I definitely think folklore will stand the test of time and speak to generations to come. The album is simply beautiful. 

I completely agree. Folklore (and Evermore) hasn't left my listening rotation since it came out. The catharsis and comfort I feel listening to these songs is unmatched. I'd been becoming a Taylor fan for years, pretty much since Red came out, but these two albums solidified my admiration and love for her. I seriously can't imagine the pandemic without these songs.

Archived