• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aphroditus

• Guillaume Hamon

• Debithius

• MonsterPaws

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is funny how EU is turning its eyes away from the right wing anti-LGBTQAI movements, while focusing on what women should wear.   

A full blown hijab that covers face entirely and stops normal communication, make people uneasy and in some settings potentially even a safety issue because ppl cant be identified... understandable...

Melancholia

i agree in the case of openly displaying a religious necklace or something that can be easily tucked in, like a cross necklace. but headscarves are so intrinsic to the religion, despite me disagreeing with them, i think this law is way too oppressive.

• LMAO 4
  • Thanks 4
Economy

A full blown hijab that covers face entirely and stops normal communication, make people uneasy and in some settings potentially even a safety issue because ppl cant be identified... understandable... i can also understand symbols that could pose a safety threat (such as a dagger). To some extent if other cultures wanna live in our society they gotta understand theres limits and compromises they must comform to

A simple headscarf however and other stuff of the sort... what the hell is the problem? You dont agree with their cultural/religious ideals of modesty great, but it literally doesnt affect u in anyway

Why are some ppl so dead set on forcing their opinions on everyone else all the time? I havent met a single muslim in my entire life that has ever tried to force any ideals on me and I live in a city where muslims arw the biggest religious background next to Sihks

But i guess Western Culture is being "enlightned" by forcing our version of progressive thinking on other cultures

Here in Canada the Province of Quebec is doing simmilar sh*t. Disgusting if u ask me

• Like 11
dit

idk...it feels VERY wrong tbh. Most women who wear the headscarf / hijab it do it out of free choice. The burqa (the one that covers the face should be banned). The stereotypical idea that all Muslim women are oppressed and wear the hijab because a man told them to do so is factually wrong. That said I would be here if there was something like a form that an employee must sign indicating whether or not they are wearing it out of pressure or out of their free choice or something like that instead of just banning it. Doing that feels VERY anti freedom of choice and actually very anti democratic. To dictate what a woman should or should not wear is gross and very non European imo which is ironic because these policies claim to be doing it to preserve "European values" lol. A big joke. 

Edited by dit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Aphroditus

It is funny how EU is turning its eyes away from the right wing anti-LGBTQAI movements, while focusing on what women should wear. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
MonsterPaws

Literally why?? I get banning the niqab/burqa (the veil that covers the face) since you literally cannot see the person you're talking to, which is why after the pandemi--having experienced the whole hidden face thing--I totally get why governments would support banning it. But I don't get banning the hijab or any religious symbols for that matter (Star of David, cross necklaces etc.) if they are benign.

While I totally disagree with the idea of the hijab and believe it certainly is oppressive (don't @ me I'm literally from a Muslim majority country where not wearing the hijab for certain groups of women--namely the locals--is taboo, and the girls LITERALLY have to resort to having 2 separate social media accounts: one for the family where they wear the hijab to pretend to be compliant, and another for close friends where they wear whatever they want when they leave the house and hang out with friends).

Totally ridiculous ruling by the EU court. They should be focused on rising right-wing extremism (Link) and anti-vaxxers in the middle of a pandemic before crap like this.

sarahb
1 hour ago, Melancholia said:

i agree in the case of openly displaying a religious necklace or something that can be easily tucked in, like a cross necklace. but headscarves are so intrinsic to the religion, despite me disagreeing with them, i think this law is way too oppressive.

Wait what's wrong with showing a cross necklace anyway?

Melancholia
13 minutes ago, sarahb said:

Wait what's wrong with showing a cross necklace anyway?

well, if you're a teacher or something, i think you should, where possible, keep religious symbols to a minimum. obviously this isn't possible with headscarves but something like a cross can be easily hidden.

• Thanks 1
littlepotter
41 minutes ago, MonsterPaws said:

While I totally disagree with the idea of the hijab and believe it certainly is oppressive (don't @ me I'm literally from a Muslim majority country where not wearing the hijab for certain groups of women--namely the locals--is taboo, and the girls LITERALLY have to resort to having 2 separate social media accounts: one for the family where they wear the hijab to pretend to be compliant, and another for close friends where they wear whatever they want when they leave the house and hang out with friends).

Lmao are we from the same country? It's very that. 

I agree that it has oppressive roots but I also think it's not the right thing to do to ban it. For many women it's part of their identity. This would cause a lot of distress especially if they truly believe them being "immodest" will send them to hell. The process should be gradual and nothing should be enforced, but it's still important to let women understand that their bodies are not sinful and showing their hair is not a sign of being a harlot.

highly emotional era
  • Like 5
gumzy3000

Let’s be honest, this law is going to disproportionately affect Muslim women in Europe. I don’t think the veil or face covering should be allowed anywhere but I literally do not see anything wrong with wearing the headscarf/hijab as long as it’s the woman’s choice.

A messy blend of logic and sass
  • Like 2
Aussie

That’s too much! I get the full face cover but why a hijab??

PS: it seems the law covers ANY religious symbols. Including wearing a cross if the environment excluded religious or political statements

Edited by Aussie
Jill
3 hours ago, dit said:

The stereotypical idea that all Muslim women are oppressed and wear the hijab because a man told them to do so is factually wrong.

And even if it wasn't wrong (which it is), what is banning them going to accomplish? Do they believe oppressed women will feel "better" or that the oppression will end or something? I don't get it

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.
  • Like 2
Debithius
4 hours ago, Economy said:

A full blown hijab that covers face entirely and stops normal communication, make people uneasy and in some settings potentially even a safety issue because ppl cant be identified... understandable... i can also understand symbols that could pose a safety threat (such as a dagger). To some extent if other cultures wanna live in our society they gotta understand theres limits and compromises they must comform to

A simple headscarf however and other stuff of the sort... what the hell is the problem? You dont agree with their cultural/religious ideals of modesty great, but it literally doesnt affect u in anyway

Why are some ppl so dead set on forcing their opinions on everyone else all the time? I havent met a single muslim in my entire life that has ever tried to force any ideals on me and I live in a city where muslims arw the biggest religious background next to Sihks

But i guess Western Culture is being "enlightned" by forcing our version of progressive thinking on other cultures

Here in Canada the Province of Quebec is doing simmilar sh*t. Disgusting if u ask me

You don't think their part of the world would have done the same thing if we moved there, force us to conform to their culture and way of living? We wouldn't be allowed to say ****.

Edited by Debithius
  • Like 3