Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Disney's Live-Action 'Snow White' Casts 'West Side Story's Rachel Zegler

Chlorine

Featured Posts

Bambino
2 minutes ago, Jill said:

It's not like that "skin as white as snow" is an important part of the story lol

I mean the Evil Queen was literally jealous of ha because of dat.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BUtterfield 8
Just now, JusKeepBreathin said:

Aladdin was great. If anything they are getting better with each film.

Except for lion king lol

Jill
Just now, Bambino said:

I mean the Evil Queen was literally jealous of ha because of dat.

And the story was written in the context it was written. There's nothing wrong in readapting it so it fits the current times. The main points of the story are the dwarfs, the poisoned apple, the witch+the hunter, and the "final salvation". They can easily be rearranged and still be related to Snow White.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

JusKeepBreathin
Just now, BUtterfield 8 said:

Except for lion king lol

don't tell no GIF by SMALLFOOT Movie

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

KarmaPolice
6 minutes ago, Jill said:

It's not like that "skin as white as snow" is an important part of the story lol

Except it is?

Then let's remove any characteristic from any character to justify forced casting diversity.

It's time they create POC characters from skratch and not destroy the old ones just for the sake of it.

Again, how would you feel if for Princess and the Frog they would remove every bit of culture that justifies a POC casting just to replace it with a white person?

Chlorine
1 hour ago, River said:

Is she dramatic enough?

can she nail these scenes?

scared snow white GIF

scared snow white GIF

Snow White Do Not Want GIF

Snow White Coffee GIF

She was always doing the most. :fail:

ZiggyZiggs
24 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

So you're saying that a POC could have played the role even if the character is called SnowWhite since her skin is white as snow?

I'm super excited for halle as ariel, but this is a bit... forced?

How so? The story quite literally perpetuates racism and colorism and was made during a time when white supremacy was king. The whole vibe was about how being white was the beauty standard and everything else was ugly. And if the casting of a non-white girl means erasing those harmful past ideas I AM ALL FOR IT and you should be too. 

and by the looks of it Disney agrees cuz this girl is only half white and doesn’t have ‘skin as fair as snow’.

I’m not even going to start about how growing up and watching a lot of these animated stories, me and all kids my age believed white was the beauty standard and the rest of us were ugly. So i promise you this will be helping a lot of little brown kids. And the girl is not even that brown lol just a a little tan

Bambino
Just now, Jill said:

And the story was written in the context it was written. There's nothing wrong in readapting it so it fits the current times. The main points of the story are the dwarfs, the poisoned apple, the witch+the hunter, and the "final salvation". They can easily be rearranged and still be related to Snow White.

A good example of a good readapting is like Hilary Duff's Cinderella movie. It fit current times perfectly, especially with the technology and all.

Just don't make a movie that took place at a time where POC were going through extremely difficult situations and pretend that all was good just to make a point.

River
Just now, PussPuss said:

She was always doing the most. :fail:

like chill sis, ok so your step mother monster is about to kill you, relax, take a sit, wait for the apple, eat..

no, she must be so over the top.

this is why her princess peers hates her

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Jill
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Except it is?

Then let's remove any characteristic from any character to justify forced casting diversity.

It's time they create POC characters from skratch and not destroy the old ones just for the sake of it.

Why is it that everybody becomes a traditionalist literary puritan when confronted with possible (not even real in this case) POC casting? Disney's objective was always to reimagine the story for current audiences. If there's something in the original story that doesn't fit current standards, or is damaging to our current perspective of the world after centuries of learning and re-learning our relationship, then there's no rule that forces you to adapt them just because they were in the book. Transmedia adapations are almost never 100% faithful. You might as well have fun and create a new, more inclusive story than the one two white dudes first adapted like five hundred years ago in the middle of the whitest and most privileged continent on Earth.

KarmaPolice
Just now, ZiggyZiggs said:

How so? The story quite literally perpetuates and racism and colorism and was made during a time when white supremacy was king. The whole vibe was a about how being white was the beauty standard and everything else was ugly. And if the casting of a non-white girl means erasing those harmful past ideas I AM ALL FOR IT and you should be too. 

and by the looks of it Disney agrees cuz this girl is only half white and doesn’t have ‘skin as fair as snow’.

I’m not even going to start about how growing up and watching a lot of these animated stories, me and all kids my age believed white was the beauty standard and the rest of us were ugly. So i promise you this will be helping a lot of little brown kids. And the girl is not even that brown lol just a a little tan

I was referring to HER not Rachel.

And I'm sorry but how the hell did you grow up thinking white was the beauty standard? What about pocaontas, mulan, etc?

I embraced diversity from the moment I saw those movies.

Jill
1 minute ago, Bambino said:

A good example of a good readapting is like Hilary Duff's Cinderella movie. It fit current times perfectly, especially with the technology and all.

Just don't make a movie that took place at a time where POC were going through extremely difficult situations and pretend that all was good just to make a point.

Snow White can be adapted in a timeless manner. It's not like magic existed during Brothers Grimm's time or something :awkney: 

Chlorine

I completely agree that “skin as white as snow” being THE reason she was the fairest one of all is super problematic and should be updated. I wonder how they will explain where the name “Snow White” comes from though. This is where the creativity and new ideas come in and can make it fresh. 

Archived