💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What Is Your Interpretation Of This Lyric? (15)

Space Cowboy

Featured Posts

Space Cowboy

I won't cry for you
I won't crucify the things you do
I won't cry for you
See, when you're gone, I'll still be Bloody Mary

(Yes there are 14 other threads you can find on my profile.. havent done one of these since 2018 so here goes...)

enissa11

i think it's a parallelism of the story of Mary Magdalene and Gaga's unbalanced relationships with men, before she was Lady Gaga she was always pretty much the rockstar's girlfriend who just follow and "worships" him as if he were her Jesus Christ.

I won't cry for you (she's done with mourning the lost of another man, her Jesus Christ of the moment)
I won't crucify the things you do (she's not gonna hold anymore hate and regrets in her heart, she's just gonna forgive and move on)
See, when you're gone, I'll still be Bloody Mary (because at the end of the day, when her Jesus Christ is gone, all what is left is suffering, she'll be just a bloody Mary)

For me is a feminist song advising girls and gay guys that just don't be stuck with men because at the end of the day what is left is a bloody Mary, just focus on develop yourself, follow your dreams and be your own rockstar, your own Jesus Christ.
The bridge of the song is sort of an invocation of gaga, that part of herself that is an independent hero and that is going to build her a career and a purpose on life.

Mad Architect of Light

enissa11

of course there are a lot of other interesting things in the lyrics commenting how are women treated by history and orthodox Christianity and connecting other dots between her and mary Magdalene,  but i think that's the main theme of the song.

remember that famous quote of gaga?
“Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore.”
meaning you'll be left to be a bloody Mary, I think it relates a lot with the concept of the song

Mad Architect of Light

spector

i think the song uses religious imagery (crucifixion), blends it with the folklore of bloody mary (mirror-ghost), and implies the alcoholic beverage (cocktail) as a further layer of addiction, thus birthing a hybrid-themed song on the pain of losing love ("love is just a history," "and when you're gone"), the rationalization of the necessity of moving on ("forgive him before he's dead"), and the fear of being alone ("je ne veux pas mourir tout seule [i don't want to die alone]"). in short, it draws a parallel between religion and love, both being forms of addiction ("'i'll tell them my religion's you"), and, in my eyes, reads/sounds as an elegy ("oh, libÊrate mi amor [oh, free my love]") to a present self that needs to let go of, and learn to forgive, a former love(r) so that it/they/the lyrical i, in the future, ceases to exist as ghost of the past. as a solution to this predicament, the song offers dancing with the hands above the head, which, of course, mirrors christ's position on the cross; via subverting the motifs employed so far, however, this position is now the physical representation of letting go: of love so that life may continue. it ties in wonderfully with the overall theme of born this way: believing in the self's ability to be reborn over and over again. as meredith and christina from grey's anatomy would say: just dance it out!

105557668_1202698690081395_4731174395883

to answer your question specifically:

i won't cry for you — i will forget you
i won't crucify the things you do — i will forgive you [christian motif]
i won't cry for you — i will forget you
see, when you're gone, i'll still be bloody mary — you know, even though it's over, the ghost of our love will still live inside me [and i will see it when i look in the mirror, facing myself is facing you, etc.] / will still be an addiction of mine [the taste of you i can't forget, cocktail, etc.]

stella + elliot = stelliot

holy scheisse

Bloody Mary is the most esoteric girl on the album for some reason 👁️👄👁️

I think it means.... She's accepted her love is leaving, and she will be in pain from the loss and still love him. Shes not bereaved with sadness, and she's not consumed with anger by the loss.

So liiike... She's found acceptance in all the grief I guess. :flop:

enissa11

gaga is truly a lyrical genius!!

Mad Architect of Light

Phlop

I ain’t gonna feel bad for you n judge you cuz when you gone ima still be that bad bitch

BYE

Meta Mart

Reckless abandon

By Century's End We Will Have Another Lady Gaga Album

PrincessGUY

I always interpreted BM as having to be strong whenever you feel like falling apart. 

I think she parallels the story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene’s relationship with the deterioration of her own; Mary loved Jesus but knew that his death was his destiny/ necessary for the redemption of the world. But regardless of that, Mary had a selfish part to her of not wanting to let him go (this is assumed on my part) and had to be strong around others because, though she believed Jesus’ story, she was heartbroken over losing him. 

so I think the chorus interpreted goes like this: 

“I won’t cry for you/ I won’t crucify the things you do.”

she won’t beg him to stay and she won’t blame him for being the way he his because she knows it’s part of her destiny to make her stronger (a la her interview about Judas’ meaning)

“I won’t cry for you see/ ‘cause when you’re gone I’ll still be Bloody Mary.”

she enforces her point that she won’t let him see her suffer, because when all is said and done she still has to be herself, so she puts on a brave face and pushes her way through her pain to get to the other side of heartbreak. I think think the name Bloody Mary also has a double meaning regarding the urban legend, that while she tries to be stronger than she feels, she’s still haunted by her love for him and what the shared together. 

Archived