That shows seems like a snooze fest tbh

The way you’re so wrong lol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bio
48 minutes ago, Helxig said:

It was the f.ucking 90's jesus christ :saladga:

These conversations about inclusivity and diversity didn't even start happening in the mainstream until the 2010's

Not true, there were already criticisms to the show for not being diverse at the time.

Runway
3 hours ago, FentyGa said:

sigh

just rename gagadaily to kkkdaily atp

Liking friends makes you a white supremacist these days, and the kii is most of us aren’t even white :toofunny:

GucciGa

Good for them for not giving into woke mongering and rushing to apologise or make excuses. I've read do many "culture" writers drag the show and the reunion bc it didn't tick all the boxes or didn't "address the elephant in the room". It's BS, they're just virtue signalling. Trying to make drama and get clicks. 

It's not even that weird to have an all white, all straight bunch of friends. Everyone keeps saying it's not realistic but that's BS. 

😇

Agunimon
3 hours ago, vinster13 said:

That shows seems like a snooze fest tbh

I tried to get into it and never could. I really missed the boat with that one.

Delulu Rogers

Ugh enough with this woke sjw stuff. You can’t take things from decades ago and hold it to our standards to invalidate it. White, straight friend groups do exist and the casting was perfect. No need to give into this woke mongering  

Prostitute Barbie

Good for the producer. It was a long time ago and even if there was a regret there’s nothing to do about it now! Stupid and provoking question tbh 

Stupid Oreo
4 hours ago, ThisGuyTony said:

*When asked if casting "all-white, heteronormative" actors for the main roles was a conscious choice, Bright (an executive producer and director for the show) explained that it wasn't intentional, but that the chemistry of the cast spoke for itself.[/quote]

Why do people have to apologize for this? :awkney:

sometimes some go too far...

Starlit
4 hours ago, Serial Chiller said:

I mean wasn't there an all-black cast sitcom with very similar premises called "Living Single" way before Friends? 

I guess somebody gotta make it palatable to the ... ahem... suburban folks. 

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Famous Jett-Jackson, The Proud Family, Smart Guy, Kenan and Kel,  The Steve Harvey Show, Sister Sister, Family Matters, Whats Happening!!, The Jamie Fox Show, Hangin' With Mr Cooper, Diff'rent Strokes, Roc, The Wayans Bros, Moesha, 227, The Bernie Mac Show, Everybody Hates Chris, Julia, Girlfiends, Goodtimes, The Cosby Kids, The Jeffersons, Living Single, Sandord and Son, Martin, A Different World, The Cosby Show, One on One, The Parkers... the list of all black sitcoms is truly endless, and many of these shows existed way before Friends. 

Unfortunately many “woke” SJWs are too young to remember a time when we weren’t as integrated. Black people had their shows, white people had theirs. It made sense culturally and no, not just to pander to “suburban folk.” You can’t generalise an entire race of people like that. For instance, I know many kids who related to Phoebe’s story of homelessness and her relationship with her mother. Why shouldn’t that 90s kid be represented just because they’re white? Their race doesn’t make them suburban. This is reductive virtue-signalling. 

Times were very different back then. White people wouldn’t have identified with those black sit coms and vice versa, and no, not because they wouldn’t be able to relate to the impoverished and victimised black community, but because they simply wouldn’t have understood the humour and cultural references! 

I’m so tired of people acting righteous simply because they were born in a time of cultural enlightenment. 200 years ago you very well may have been a racist and I wouldn’t blame you for it. I would blame the public brainwashing and subconscious programming. 

PartySick
11 minutes ago, Starlit said:

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Famous Jett-Jackson, The Proud Family, Smart Guy, Kenan and Kel,  The Steve Harvey Show, Sister Sister, Family Matters, Whats Happening!!, The Jamie Fox Show, Hangin' With Mr Cooper, Diff'rent Strokes, Roc, The Wayans Bros, Moesha, 227, The Bernie Mac Show, Everybody Hates Chris, Julia, Girlfiends, Goodtimes, The Cosby Kids, The Jeffersons, Living Single, Sandord and Son, Martin, A Different World, The Cosby Show, One on One, The Parkers... the list of all black sitcoms is truly endless, and many of these shows existed way before Friends. 

I used to LOOOOVE the underlined shows as a kid :bradley:

I grew up with my grandparents who themselves grew up in segregated times, the 60s, and the 70s. To this day, I think Good Times is one of the best shows I've ever seen :pray: Janet Jackson joining the cast as an abused kid in the later seasons was just *chefs kiss* :heart: All In The Family had a lot of sweet moments too that normalized black and white relations and we got The Jeffersons out of it as a spin off :flutter: I can't imagine how a scene like this would go over these days but it did a lot to humanize everyone involved

And I still quote this crazy bastard, Red Fox :ladyhaha:

They all tell good, heart warming (and heart wrenching) stories from the perspective of black people living in different times and areas and often touch on how white people can be allies, silent, or straight up bigots.

God, what a golden era of television. I know what I'm watching when I get home :legend:

🖤

gypsy101

1 weird thing I noticed in the reunion is there were several gays that were like "omg i loved this show it made me feel at home" when there were literally no gay characters on the show whatsoever, in NYC in the 90s which was as ridiculous as there being almost no ethnically diverse people.

i loved the show personally but yeah it was super non-diverse. the casting of the main 6 was genius though, they ate those chatacters tbh

ssslyboy

Why would he?  The show was one of the most successful sitcoms of all time.

lilboyblue

Agree that this was perfectly casted!

Btw, for those trying to get into it, I suggest watching some good standalone episodes first. That's how I really got hooked—watching bits of it on TV, and then eventually buying a "Best Of" DVD. Starting chronologically might not be the best way to go as it does start a little bit slow and dated, but then eventually finds its stride by the latter half of season 2. And then by season 3, it's just firing on all cylinders.

• FATCAT changed the title to 'Friends' producer doesn’t regret all-white cast

Archived